Your favorite moment from the show?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

mikeaz123
Commander

Your favorite moment from the show?

#1 Post by mikeaz123 »

I was just looking on youtube for clips and came across this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDv5kizY8oE

Love the banter between tom and john, and his laugh at the end always puts me in stitches

Col.Sanders
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#2 Post by Col.Sanders »

That is funny! Great clip! :D

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#3 Post by J.J. Walters »

There are so many that it is almost impossible to choose. I guess if I was forced to pick just one I'd probably go with the climax of "Birdman of Budapest" where Higgins uses a peregrine falcon call to scare away a KGB-trained attack Macaw that was surely about to kill Magnum. Or maybe the "spin the cat" scene in "Photo Play", or the "Mama sequence" in "Death and Taxes", or the "strip club brawl" in "Resolutions". Ah, sorry, I can't pick just one. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#4 Post by ConchRepublican »

"I love you . . . more than you'll ever know . . . and I'm letting you go"

Limbo, IMHO, is one of the best episodes in TV history. It's not often that a "finale" captures the essence of a character so perfectly that, if that were actually the last episode, while it would (and was) heart wrenching, it would have made perfect sense and been the perfect ending.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#5 Post by Doc Ibold »

I'd have to say some of the best have to do with Magnum and Higgins. In Letter To a Duchess: The search for Surfski groupies to have the Duchess see Higgins in a different light. The tailor made house staff in Compulsion. Both of those are A pluses in my book. Home From The Sea is top notch, because it explained so much backstory. Agree with James on Birdman of Budapest.. But after years of reflection my admiration for that episode is pretty much based solely on the peregrine falcon call (And the fact that it is one of the prime examples of Higgins ISN'T Robin Masters).

Magnum passing out after the Ironman in Beauty Knows No Pain. Whatchu talkin bout Higgins? Hammered Rick in Texas Lighning. Hammered Magnum in The Arrow That Is Not Aimed.

They're almost endless.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#6 Post by Styles Bitchley »

For drama: Climax of Death and Taxes.
For comedy: The Kudu Buck scenes in Dead Man's Channel.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Seaver41 »

"Did you see the sun rise?"

tough to top that one particular moment. The shock value alone not only of the Magnum character/series, but for tv in general. Rare do you get to see such a leap in one direction with little to no explanation. It cemented Magnum the show and added yet another layer to the Magnum character.

I have others, but this one comes to mind foremost. I remember fist pumping in joy/surprise. 99% of the time the character in movies/tv get talked down. Not this time...........BLAM

Autumn Warrior
Lieutenant

#8 Post by Autumn Warrior »

My reply to this question would probably vary depending on my mood or other factors. Today I nominate the poignant scene in Opertion: Silent Night (4.10) when Higgins talks about being away from home at Christmas
TM: Well, it's not that we're old; it's just that we're not young anymore.

Tanner68
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#9 Post by Tanner68 »

From Kona Winds 6.4.

(Higgins is planning defences against the approaching storm)
Magnum: This isn't a war you know. I mean, once nature sets it's course, you can't do anything to stop it.
Higgins: You can if you're British!

It summarizes well Higgins' British pride and spirit.

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Reef monkey »

Too many for me to choose, but as a kayaker I like any scene where Magnum is on his surfski.

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Frodoleader »

Again for me, too many to list. But here are some that stand out to me:
For shock value, there are two: shooting Ivan at the end of "Did you see the sunrise?" and the final shot of "Limbo", where TM walks off to the afterlife (OMG! They killed off Magnum!).
For poignancy, it is the scene of Magnum saying goodbye to Michelle near the end of "Limbo".
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

mctyler
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Your favorite moment from the show?

#12 Post by mctyler »

In addittion to episodes you listed I suggest these moving moments,the first that came to my mind,but I think there are many more :

-"distanct relatives"( S 4) after the death of Rick's sister when Higgins talks to Magnum shattered in the living room

-"I never wanted to go to france anyway" (S 6 ) When Higgins realizes Magnum is in flames..then Magnum appears and with an exchange of glasses you understand what friendship is

-"going home" (S 6 ) when Magnum goes to say goodbye to Joey.An solemn moment.
It 's still early, but I think I'll go home and have a drink, so somewhere in the world the sun is about sinking JQHiggins

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by MagnumILWU »

"pickled egg please"

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Sisophous »

This is an easy one for me. I copied and pasted from my earlier post on Season 3, Did you see the sunrise? part 1. This isn't really a "moment", rather a short segment.

TC lands his helicopter on the estate and Higgins goes crazy. TC takes Magnum out to sea, 6 miles, to get a workout paddling back on his surf ski. TC sings "Got a Date With an Angel" while flying back, what incredible scenery of the island and cliff side estates. The six plus minutes video here I think is among the very best in the entire series. The personalities of Magnum, TC and Higgins are at their finest. The aerial footage is tops too. Here's the video:

After turning on your speakers/audio, open the video link below, select 480p quality and the middle size video is best.

http://youtu.be/6BVxK8kSQwE

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Black on White - Magnum and Higgie fake quarantined together in the guesthouse - priceless!