Magnum Theme Acapella!

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#16 Post by MagnumILWU »

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we would all have a happy Magnum reunion!
"pickled egg please"

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#17 Post by J.J. Walters »

This may be a dumb question (I don't watch the show), but has the original Hawaii Five-0 been mentioned as a television show in the reboot? If not (I assume not), then who is McGarrett when Dr. Bergman says "Magnum and McGarrett share the same Navy Seal lineage." It's not Steve McGarrett because he's sitting right there in the chopper! It's so weird, they are talking about a character from a television show that doesn't exist in their world! It's like some strange time traveling story. :?
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

StarchedUndershirts
Admiral

#18 Post by StarchedUndershirts »

I don't think the original show is mentioned directly. Steve is the grandson of Jack Lord's character in the original, so it would be weird to do so.
Also, Steve was a Navy Seal.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by Steve »

J.J. Walters wrote:This may be a dumb question (I don't watch the show), but has the original Hawaii Five-0 been mentioned as a television show in the reboot? If not (I assume not), then who is McGarrett when Dr. Bergman says "Magnum and McGarrett share the same Navy Seal lineage." It's not Steve McGarrett because he's sitting right there in the chopper! It's so weird, they are talking about a character from a television show that doesn't exist in their world! It's like some strange time traveling story. :?
Actually Dr. Bergman says "Commander McGarrett and Magnum share the same Navy Seal lineage". Honestly the only reason I watch the show is to see the locations and am still waiting to see The Estate, if even in a fly over.
I may have missed something but I am not sure that this McGarrett is the grandson of the original. There are many nods to the original series but I don't think the reboot is a continuation of the original for example, in this version they come up with the name "5-0" when Steve said his father called the children five-0 ers for being children of the 50th State.........

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#20 Post by ConchRepublican »

Yeah, unfortunately this version/reboot isn't related to the earlier show or MPI.

Last season there was a Magnum reference that I hoped could be spun into "you know, that private eye who made a papers a few times in the 80s?" ... leading to Selleck walking by saying, "I prefer investigator" ... but no such luck.

I did like that they connected this McGarrett to Magnum through their SEAL backgrounds, from the first episode it felt to me like they were kind of rebooting Magnum as well the way they handled the McGarrett character. Unfortunately he's way too stiff.

I want to like the show for the same reason Steve does, but for me the banter between Steve and Danny gets trying at times and the writing is getting more unrealistic.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by Frodoleader »

OMG, that was totally awesome. Probably the best tribute to MPI H5O could have done. Now, in regards to the "universe" issue, this is television, they can do whatever they want. Meaning they can do a MPI crossover-type show without any regards to this episode of H5O.
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by Frodoleader »

OMG, that was totally awesome. Probably the best tribute to MPI H5O could have done. Now, in regards to the "universe" issue, this is television, they can do whatever they want. Meaning they can do a MPI crossover-type show without any regards to this episode of H5O.
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

Tralfaz
Admiral

#23 Post by Tralfaz »

Ed Asner returned to play the same character as he had in the original series, so there is some connection

T
"..outasight!.." - Tyler Peabody McKinney

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#24 Post by ConchRepublican »

Tralfaz wrote:Ed Asner returned to play the same character as he had in the original series, so there is some connection
Excellent point . . .
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

StarchedUndershirts
Admiral

#25 Post by StarchedUndershirts »

Tralfaz wrote:Ed Asner returned to play the same character as he had in the original series, so there is some connection

T
They also re-did one of the most famous episodes from the original "Hookman"

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#26 Post by J.J. Walters »

Steve wrote:Actually Dr. Bergman says "Commander McGarrett and Magnum share the same Navy Seal lineage".
Totally missed that! So he was talking about the new McGarrett, the McGarrett that's sitting in the chopper with them! I heard the words "McGarrett" and "Magnum" in the same sentence and immediately thought of Jack Lord, the original McGarrett! Got me all confused and whatnot. That way make much more sense. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!