Higgins' watch

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

Re: Higgins' watch

#46 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

perfectlykevin wrote:Looks like Mr. Higgins has something else in common with Mr. Bond...

http://www.jamesbondwatchphotos.com/201 ... ers-003-2/

No, totally different watch!

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#47 Post by perfectlykevin »

Bondtoys.de wrote:
perfectlykevin wrote:Looks like Mr. Higgins has something else in common with Mr. Bond...

http://www.jamesbondwatchphotos.com/201 ... ers-003-2/

No, totally different watch!

Yep, Similar in ways but not the same. I think I found some but man are they expensive for something you cant even think about water while wearing :) Going to stick to my plan and get the GMT instead. :)

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Last edited by Mad Kudu Buck on Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#49 Post by Pahonu »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:22 pm I think I've mentioned this before, but when Higgins bought his digital watch in the 70's, they were still very high quality, the latest technology and expensive. They weren't the cheap disposable junk of the mid/late 80's or the plastic throwaway trash of the 90's. It's very believable that Higgins would buy an accurate, high-tech digital watch in the 70's.

I recently got a new old stock 1976 digital watch and I'm amazed by the quality. It's solidly built and nicely styled, without the cheap cost-cutting signs of later watches. When I saw the movement, I was stunned - all gold plated contacts on light blue circuit-board. It's beautiful. (I don't know if Higgins' 1977 watch movement looks this nice, but being a '77 Seiko, you'd expect good made-in-Japan quality.)

It's understandable that costs had to come down to make digital watches more accessible to to the general population, but it's a pity that the 70's quality was lost. My point is that not many people know (especially in modern times) that the early digital watches weren't just cheap ordinary boring junk, but the latest in high technology, well made and a welcome change from unreliable (relatively inaccurate) mechanical watches.
All that I remember about the digital watch my dad’s friend had in the late 70’s, besides being very impressed by it as a boy, was that he had to push a button to see the time. It was not displayed continuously. I assume this was a battery issue with the new digital technology. I think it was also a dark screen with light numbers, but I’m not certain about that detail.

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#50 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Last edited by Mad Kudu Buck on Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pahonu

#51 Post by Pahonu »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:53 am
Pahonu wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:40 pm All that I remember about the digital watch my dad’s friend had in the late 70’s, besides being very impressed by it as a boy, was that he had to push a button to see the time. It was not displayed continuously. I assume this was a battery issue with the new digital technology. I think it was also a dark screen with light numbers, but I’m not certain about that detail.
That would be an LED watch, not LCD. LED used too much battery to remain on constantly so you had to push to see the time. The newer LCD displays used much less power and time could be displayed continually. By the end of the 70's, LED was dead.

I have a 1977 LED watch (bought new) and I think it's great. I haven't changed the battery yet - and I've had it for over a year. Either the battery problem was exaggerated or modern batteries last much longer.

(Birks was a high-end Canadian jewellery store - probably similar to the American Tiffany's)

It's a great watch for reading the time at night. If I ever need to blow up a bridge (...and occasionally I do...) I'll take this watch, for its accuracy and night time legibility.
I might be detecting some more of this anti-social behavior in your blowing up the bridge comment! :lol: Thanks for the details either way.

How is a 1977 watch you bought a year ago new?
Do you mean like NOS car parts, which I purchase occasionally for my 88 Westy? In that case the O is still for old. :lol: I always thought they should have been called unused original stock, because some NOS stuff is garbage because of its age, like hoses for example. They definitely have a shelf life, unlike your watch.

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Pahonu wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:20 am I might be detecting some more of this anti-social behavior in your blowing up the bridge comment! :lol: Thanks for the details either way.
What - you've never had to blow up a bridge? Not even one with a train on it? I envy your laid back lifestyle.
Pahonu wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:20 am How is a 1977 watch you bought a year ago new?
Well, you see, I travelled back in time to 1978, bought it and came back. (I could have gone to 1977 to get it, but I wanted to wait for the clearance sale.)

Wow, the girl in that 1978 jewellery store was so much nicer than the one in the 2018 store - polite, friendly, knowledgeable and oh so much thinner. (no tattoos or nose piercings either)

Pahonu

#53 Post by Pahonu »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:44 am
Pahonu wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:20 am I might be detecting some more of this anti-social behavior in your blowing up the bridge comment! :lol: Thanks for the details either way.
What - you've never had to blow up a bridge? Not even one with a train on it? I envy your laid back lifestyle.
Pahonu wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:20 am How is a 1977 watch you bought a year ago new?
Well, you see, I travelled back in time to 1978, bought it and came back. (I could have gone to 1977 to get it, but I wanted to wait for the clearance sale.)

Wow, the girl in that 1978 jewellery store was so much nicer than the one in the 2018 store - polite, friendly, knowledgeable and oh so much thinner. (no tattoos or nose piercings either)
I cross this bridge to go home so I’d be screwed.

https://ibb.co/0GZ3zRh

Fun things happen at the bridge so I’m leaving it alone.

https://ibb.co/MVLB75J
https://ibb.co/mNgyj69

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#54 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Now that is a funky LED watch! I'm confused by what you're saying about when you got it also. Are you saying you recently bought it at Birks? Or that you bought it in the late '70s and the battery is still working??

Strangely enough in this thread, there's no mention of the reference number of the black faced Higgins watch, which is a Seiko 0139 dual time zone Quartz LC. I don't think there's a clear enough shot anywhere to see which variant it is, as there's one with a more rounded case (0139-5029 and one with a more angular case, like this 0139-5019:

For the record, my grandfather--who would have been a similar age to Higgins--wore a digital watch in the '80s. I think he just thought it was practical.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:44 am Wow, the girl in that 1978 jewellery store was so much nicer than the one in the 2018 store - polite, friendly, knowledgeable and oh so much thinner. (no tattoos or nose piercings either)
I'm with you on the tattoos or nose piercings. I want to vomit every time I see it. I'll never get used to this new "style". Or those huge holes that people make in their ear lobes. Man, that's gross!!!

I honestly can't understand how people today can just accept this as "normal" behavior. Ok, I understand that the kids and younger generation don't know any better because that's all they know and have been exposed to. But us older generation who grew up when this wasn't a "thing" surely must be more than just a little repulsed by this. I'm talking to a store rep at Lowe's and all I can see is those gigantic gaping holes in the dude's earlobes. Looks like he was tortured or something. I have to look past him as I talk to him because it's so disgusting. I don't even know how they hire someone like that. Shouldn't there be a proper appearance code when showing up for work? Or is this just a part of your identity now so we don't want to discriminate? Man, society is screwed up today. I still remember a time when NBA players didn't have any tattoos on them. Nowadays they're covered with them head to toe. Can't even watch the game anymore.

Styles Bitchley

#56 Post by Styles Bitchley »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:32 pm
Mad Kudu Buck wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:44 am Wow, the girl in that 1978 jewellery store was so much nicer than the one in the 2018 store - polite, friendly, knowledgeable and oh so much thinner. (no tattoos or nose piercings either)
I'm with you on the tattoos or nose piercings. I want to vomit every time I see it. I'll never get used to this new "style". Or those huge holes that people make in their ear lobes. Man, that's gross!!!

I honestly can't understand how people today can just accept this as "normal" behavior. Ok, I understand that the kids and younger generation don't know any better because that's all they know and have been exposed to. But us older generation who grew up when this wasn't a "thing" surely must be more than just a little repulsed by this. I'm talking to a store rep at Lowe's and all I can see is those gigantic gaping holes in the dude's earlobes. Looks like he was tortured or something. I have to look past him as I talk to him because it's so disgusting. I don't even know how they hire someone like that. Shouldn't there be a proper appearance code when showing up for work? Or is this just a part of your identity now so we don't want to discriminate? Man, society is screwed up today. I still remember a time when NBA players didn't have any tattoos on them. Nowadays they're covered with them head to toe. Can't even watch the game anymore.
Come on guys, this is becoming curmudgeon central! Times change, we're getting old, kids these days, yada, yada. Now what are your thoughts on Higgins' watch?? ;-)
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Pahonu

#57 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:32 pm

Ivan, these are the kind of comments about your opinions on society today that get us started in our debates! :D I won’t make any points on this one particularly, but I think I see a common thread running through all your comments: everything is worse today and it was all better in the past.

Am I close? :lol:

I used the old guy yelling at you to get off his lawn as an example, but I like Styles curmudgeon better... and it can’t be just age. You’re younger than me!

You probably should also avoid New Zealand with the Maori population if tatoos bother you. :lol:

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#58 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Although we're off topic, I don't want to be accused of not standing up... Yes, Ivan is 100% correct about tattoos being disgusting. They are - on anyone, but especially on females. Why ruin a "work of art" of the female form with crudely drawn flowers? I can understand a small, subtle tattoo - on a MAN, a military association, maybe. Maybe a small hidden shoulder tattoo on a woman. (if subtle)

Ear "holes" are disgusting. Nearly ever person who gets them later regrets it and requires expensive surgery to correct it.

It has nothing to do with "times changing, yada yada". It's not a natural generational thing. Media is promoting it. Who runs the media and why are they promoting what they are? That's when we get into the ideas we're not allowed to discuss. A free society should be allowed to discuss anything - and we're always told we're living in a free society. We're not.

But this is a forum about a TV show - and so, things must be kept simple. Let's talk about inconsistencies in the colour of Tom Selleck shirt #43...

Styles Bitchley

#59 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:06 pm Let's talk about inconsistencies in the colour of Tom Selleck shirt #43...
Tell me more!

- J.Q.H.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#60 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Yep, Kudu Buck replied succinctly. I know I can't be the only one who finds holes in ears absolutely revolting. I'm sorry but we're a civilized society. Not some tribe in Africa or aborigines or Maori or whatever. I feel secretly Pahonu and Styles (since they're older than me) agree with me but won't admit to it because... you know... we must accept change. Yada, yada, yada. But the Lord created the beautiful female form and defiling it with images is disgusting. I'm not even talking about ugly tattoos. But even things like flowers. Why? Why on a body? Buy yourself some beautiful fresh flowers and put then in a vase.

What about ugly black fingernail polish? But I digress...