MPI on UK and Irish TV back in the day

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Faceman
Lieutenant

MPI on UK and Irish TV back in the day

#1 Post by Faceman »

Well guys, a few episodes into season 4 now, going great. I just started thinking back to my limited memories of when magnum was originally on TV in the eighties and i hope some of irish or UK guys here can help.

A-Team, knightrider and airwolf i remember as saturday afternoon fun. Magnum would attract more mature people i would assume, as well as kids. Was MPI usually on during the week evening times, and what time and station?

Being from the north of ireland, i had BBC, ITV, channel 4 as the UK stations, and just the 2 RTE irish stations.
I imagine it was RTE, and probably ITV then showed it to the UK market, is that right?

I can remember the whole family watching dallas on saturday night, it was massive! Was MPI much of a rattings winner in ireland?
I was born december 1980, which I think i heard before was when the first magnum episode aired on TV.

Louise
Captain

#2 Post by Louise »

Hi Faceman, I'm in England. I used to watch Magnum intermittently back in the 80's, it was on ITV but I can't remember which day it was on - I think it was a week-day evening though, not at the weekend. My life was quite chaotic then so I didn't see every episode and also my memory is a bit hazy!

I know it had a huge following though - I remember Tom being interviewed on Wogan's TV show and the audience reaction being very warm. He was also on the covers of loads of magazines at the time.

It was about five years ago that I came across an episode being shown on the Men and Motors channel - I'd forgotten how much I used to love Magnum, and really got back into watching it again - until the M&M channel disappeared from Freeview, which really annoyed me! So I bought the DVDs and had a great few months watching them all, right from the pilot episode. :D

A P Leyland
Captain

#3 Post by A P Leyland »

Hi Guys.

I watched Magnum PI from the start. Here in the UK it originally aired at around 8pm on a Sunday night on ITV where it was a moderate ratings success. The show moved days quite regularly over it's run (I remember it being on both Tuesday and Thursday nights) but nearly always in it's 8pm timeslot. Episodes varied according to region (I am in the Granada region) and frequently aired out of order but the show managed to be successful for the entire 8 seasons which is rare for US imports. Airwolf was moved to a Saturday afternoon after its inital run and Knight Rider and The A-Team both had 7.30 prime time slots originally but both ended up being Saturday tea time stuff.

The exception to this (as I recall) was LAURA. A number of US series had episodes that were not deemed suitable for the normal timeslot (Airwolf, The Hulk and a few others) and this episode of Magnum was not aired at 8pm, rather it aired after the 10 O Clock news due to its subject matter.

Andy

Faceman
Lieutenant

#4 Post by Faceman »

Thanks guys. I suppose saturday afternoon as the only time i mainly watched TV, and so knightrider and A-team were my main shows ( not so much into airwolf, maybe i was missing something good). I have good memories of Macgyver as closer to 6 o clock saturday evening though, and watching it around dinner time, it would have been deemed closer to magnum I suppose as not as silly as Knightrider/A-team.

Unfortunately, I was made to do hours of homework during the week and so missing out on magnum, plus the women in the house were glued to a menu of Eastenders, Corornation Street etc!