Uncle Otis

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

Uncle Otis

#1 Post by MagnumILWU »

A friend posted something that made me think of Magnum and his 'Uncle Otis' ! Who knows the episode?
"pickled egg please"

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

That woild be paper war ;)

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by MagnumILWU »

Yes it is! The look on Higgins face, when Magnum tells him he had a Uncle Otis, who worked on elevators, is just great! For those who don't know, Google, 'Otis Elevator'!
"pickled egg please"

Lt Tanaka
Vice Admiral

#4 Post by Lt Tanaka »

Ha! That's great. Never heard of that company but it's cool to learn of another meaning to a line you've know for decades. Thanks.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Braddah Kimo »

Immediately pops to mind is one of Cheech And Chong's album bits;
"Awrite people, that was Otis and the Elevators singin; "Baby I got my ups and downs"

firefly
Commander

#6 Post by firefly »

i live a couple of towns away from otis elevator which is located in bristol ct, very close to the espn campus.

this is the otis test shaft, at 383 feet it is by far the largest thing in the area. if you go up on any of the ridge-lines in the area just about the only thing you see other than tree tops is the shaft.

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by MagnumILWU »

I bet people didn't realize that the Magnum Mania site could be so educational! There are so many little quips and lines in TV and movies that have a hidden meaning. And if you know it, it makes it that much more fun! It's like in the movie, Fletch. The maid says Buenos Dias to Fletch, and he says, 'Pup and Taco'! Pup and Taco was a fast food restaurant in southern Cal., that sold hot dogs and Tacos, 3 for a $, mix or match! I know this isn't about Magnum, but I love that movie!
"pickled egg please"

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#8 Post by Styles Bitchley »

firefly wrote:i live a couple of towns away from otis elevator which is located in bristol ct, very close to the espn campus.

this is the otis test shaft, at 383 feet it is by far the largest thing in the area. if you go up on any of the ridge-lines in the area just about the only thing you see other than tree tops is the shaft.

That's very cool.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Steve »

firefly wrote:i live a couple of towns away from otis elevator which is located in bristol ct, very close to the espn campus.

When I saw the photo before reading your description I thought you were going to say it was Elisha Graves Otis' head stone..LOL!

St Max Kolbe
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#10 Post by St Max Kolbe »

MagnumILWU wrote:I bet people didn't realize that the Magnum Mania site could be so educational! There are so many little quips and lines in TV and movies that have a hidden meaning. And if you know it, it makes it that much more fun! It's like in the movie, Fletch. The maid says Buenos Dias to Fletch, and he says, 'Pup and Taco'! Pup and Taco was a fast food restaurant in southern Cal., that sold hot dogs and Tacos, 3 for a $, mix or match! I know this isn't about Magnum, but I love that movie!
Watching Magnum over the years I have been very curious about a number of shots/locations/characters, this place is a goldmine with much painstaking research gone into it.

Now Fletch that was a great film! As a kid and an adult I found/find that movie funny, timeless quality and excellent delivery by Chevy Chase.
St Damien of Molokai - Ora pro nobis!

firefly
Commander

#11 Post by firefly »

Steve wrote:

When I saw the photo before reading your description I thought you were going to say it was Elisha Graves Otis' head stone..LOL!

LOL - now that would be one heck of a grave!