Seasons 5 and 6 - should I buy them?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

Seasons 5 and 6 - should I buy them?

#1 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

I've now bought (and watched) all series except seasons 5 and 6. The consensus here seems to be that these two seasons are the nadir of the show. Should I buy them anyway? Are there enough good episodes to justify the purchase? Thanks in advanced for your opinions.

Tobi
Captain

#2 Post by Tobi »

1) Magnum is like Pizza - even if it is not the greatest Pizza, it is still great

2) you need a complete set

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#3 Post by ConchRepublican »

Tobi wrote:1) Magnum is like Pizza - even if it is not the greatest Pizza, it is still great

2) you need a complete set
What he said. :wink:
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#4 Post by J.J. Walters »

You pretty much have to buy them. You can't just go out and buy 6 out of 8 Magnum P.I. DVD sets. There's two missing! It would be a giant hole on your shelf that will slowly eat away at you every time you glanced in their direction. Do it now and do it quickly! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

Season 5 is worth buying just for "All for One." It's an excellent 2 parter with TM and the guys in combat mode. Season 6 is a must have for "Way of the Stalking Horse." Its probably one of my top 5 episodes and when I think of the show, the dingy hotel room scenes from this ep are some of the first scenes that come to mind.

Buck
Captain

#6 Post by Buck »

They are worth having! There are good episodes in those seasons.

grundle
Admiral

#7 Post by grundle »

Since you haven't seen the episodes, you'd have to buy them to know whether or not you'd like them.

I own every season except for season six - but I'd already seen every episode many, many times before the DVDs came out. In my opinion, there's something really uncomfortable about most of the season six episodes. That being said, I suppose I might buy it someday.

I don't mind having "gaps" in my collection. I love the Rolling Stones, but that doesn't mean I have to own every single one of their albums.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Braddah Kimo »

it is a series filmed in Hawai'i. In da 80's With a great cast. Should you buy them is a non query.

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#9 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

Well, I've actually bought them. I'm done with season 5 and going through season 6 at the moment. I was afraid of the show jumping the shark and becoming unreognisable as the Magnum PI we all know and love, but I have to say I'm enjoying it a lot.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Braddah Kimo »

The propensity of amateur critics and their random, capricious claim of a show having jumped the shark should also be a non issue. If you like a show, you like a show. Rankings, ratings, and other frivolous, irresponsible, arbitrary judgements, (and other individual and very subjective personal emotional responses having nothing whatsoever to do with your enjoyment of a TV show), spewed by the wishy washy proletariat notwithstanding.
Problem with this kind of thing, it may color your viewing of an ep. "Oh Larry sez this season ain't as good at the other one. So I watch with a jaundiced eye, I will!" 'A'ole! This kind of tomfoolery is not fair to a classic TV show such as this.
Last edited by Braddah Kimo on Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Braddah Kimo »

also, I loved the rolling stones and that meant that I... had to have each and every single one of their albums released. Even the best of. But at a particular juncture, i thought they jumped the shark and stopped at a particular year. But them millions of others continued to buy. So there ya go.