Lance White

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

Lance White

#1 Post by MagnumILWU »

Went down to my basement for a workout. Turned on the TV; old TV with box to get local stations(antenna TV). ON 'ME' TV m-f at 4:00pm PDT is, The Rockford Files! Today was, 'Nice Guys Finish Dead', from 1979. This was a nice surprise! Tom Selleck, Larry Manetti, James Whitmore Jr, and of course James Garner. This was the second appearance of Tom Selleck as Lance White. I remember loving these years ago, before I knew who Tom Selleck was. Just a funny, great character, who drove Jim Rockford crazy!
"pickled egg please"

Buck
Captain

Re: Lance White

#2 Post by Buck »

MagnumILWU wrote:Went down to my basement for a workout. Turned on the TV; old TV with box to get local stations(antenna TV). ON 'ME' TV m-f at 4:00pm PDT is, The Rockford Files! Today was, 'Nice Guys Finish Dead', from 1979. This was a nice surprise! Tom Selleck, Larry Manetti, James Whitmore Jr, and of course James Garner. This was the second appearance of Tom Selleck as Lance White. I remember loving these years ago, before I knew who Tom Selleck was. Just a funny, great character, who drove Jim Rockford crazy!
I love the Rockford files. Magnum aka Lance White does everything right, and Rockford can't do anything right. It is fun to watch. :lol:

James Garner gave us a great show. Maybe he has one more movie for us and he can bring back Lance White since we may never get a Magnum movie.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Steve »

I love Me-TV and ME-Too TV. They are based here in Chicago and currently show Magnum twice on Sunday's and twice on Tuesdays. I have reported before that when they first picked up the catalog a few years ago they aired the shows in the original broadcast order and, when they were doing a best ten shows of various old tv shows they seemingly picked ten best MPI's right from this site..............

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by MagnumILWU »

In Portland OR, we just get ME TV, no ME Too! NO Magnum on that! Even though I have all the DVD's, I always seem to like it better, when it is broadcast on TV!
"pickled egg please"

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by AmandaByNight »

We Tivo'ed the episode and I started watching it yesterday. TS is so great, and I love how Rockford is forever annoyed by him, but also feels bad about it!

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by MagnumILWU »

Having recently bought the rest of the seasons of Magnum, I looked a #8 yesterday. Much to my surprise, on disc 3, is the episode, "White on White and Nearly Perfect"! From Season 5 of The Rockford Files, with Tom Selleck as Lance White!
"pickled egg please"

Buck
Captain

#7 Post by Buck »

MagnumILWU wrote:Went down to my basement for a workout. Turned on the TV; old TV with box to get local stations(antenna TV). ON 'ME' TV m-f at 4:00pm PDT is, The Rockford Files! Today was, 'Nice Guys Finish Dead', from 1979. This was a nice surprise! Tom Selleck, Larry Manetti, James Whitmore Jr, and of course James Garner. This was the second appearance of Tom Selleck as Lance White. I remember loving these years ago, before I knew who Tom Selleck was. Just a funny, great character, who drove Jim Rockford crazy!
I looked in my DVR and I have that episode recorded! I did not know it was there. I have about 40 Rockford Files recorded for rainy days. I forgot Larry Manetti is in this episode. Larry is a very underated actor, I like him in everything. He was great in Baa Baa Black Sheep.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#8 Post by Pahonu »

Buck wrote:
I looked in my DVR and I have that episode recorded! I did not know it was there. I have about 40 Rockford Files recorded for rainy days. I forgot Larry Manetti is in this episode. Larry is a very underated actor, I like him in everything. He was great in Baa Baa Black Sheep.
My father loved Baa Baa Black Sheep, so I ended up seeing every episode and enjoyed it very much. Robert Conrad was good. It had a lot of up-and-comers like Manetti and John Laroquette. It also had a few who would appear in Magnum, W K Stratton and James Whitmore Jr.

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Stelth »

I just finished watching Tom Selleck in the Rockford Files episode "White on White and Nearly Perfect". I had never seen a Lance White episode before and the concept of a perfect detective to contrast Rockford is hilarious.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Steve »

Stelth wrote:I just finished watching Tom Selleck in the Rockford Files episode "White on White and Nearly Perfect". I had never seen a Lance White episode before and the concept of a perfect detective to contrast Rockford is hilarious.

I caught it here in Chicago on ME-TV as well. Too bad James Garner never made a guest appearance on Magnum either as Jim Rockford or any other character for that matter...........

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Stelth »

Steve wrote:
Stelth wrote:I just finished watching Tom Selleck in the Rockford Files episode "White on White and Nearly Perfect". I had never seen a Lance White episode before and the concept of a perfect detective to contrast Rockford is hilarious.

I caught it here in Chicago on ME-TV as well. Too bad James Garner never made a guest appearance on Magnum either as Jim Rockford or any other character for that matter...........
It would have been especially funny if they did a role-reversal thing and Garner's character was the "perfect" one and Magnum was bothered by his perfection.