new dvd set questions

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

LION
Lieutenant Junior Grade

new dvd set questions

#1 Post by LION »

can someone tell me why season one and season two
are now out on 6 dvd sets?
are they doing this to all the seasons?
is it just so there are no more two sided dvd's?
and can anybody tell me if there is magnum on blue ray in the future
should i buy the new dvd sets so i wont have any problems with my two sided dvd's in the future?
lots of questions help,help,help
thank you.

Coligion
Lieutenant Commander

#2 Post by Coligion »

I'm sure Universal is now re-releasing these sets due to all the negative feedback they have gotten from the DVD-18 format used on seasons 1-4. I, for one, am happy they are doing this as I have had many problems with the dual-sided discs. My only qualm is that I wish Universal would have opted for an exchange policy for those of us who have had to endure through the issues these discs have created.

Perhaps Universal will gauge how well seasons 1 and 2 will sell before they continue onward and release seasons 3 and 4 on single-sided discs. At least we now have an option :roll:.

As for a Blu-Ray release, there are no current signs. Friends recently got announced for Blu-Ray release, but that is the only older, major TV show that I know of that has been announced. I think there will be a long wait for Magnum to get Blu-Ray treatment.

LION
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#3 Post by LION »

that's what i needed to know.
you guy's are great, thank you!

Coligion
Lieutenant Commander

#4 Post by Coligion »

I was searching online last night for the best price on these new 6-disc sets. For those interested, Target has seasons 1 and 2 for $9.99 each. That is likely the best price you will see these, especially since they are brand new.

They now come packaged in a slim, single-sized DVD case. It's nice to see the size toned down (season one was especially huge), but I was content with the slimmer, fold-out style of the latter seasons--this looked more professional, too.

One caveat I must mention is that season one does not mention that it includes any of the bonus content found in the initial release. For the misinformed, this includes: Ki'l's Don't Lie, Emeralds are not a Girl's Best Friend (Simon & Simon), and Echoes of the Mind--Part 1 + 2. For this reason, I have yet to open my set for fear of Universal dropping this content. However, season 2 does, in fact, state that it contains the same bonus material on the back cover.

nmycon
Ensign

#5 Post by nmycon »

I just sent an email to Universal asking about the possibility of getting replacement single-sided sets for Seasons 1 & 2 (possibly by sending in proof of purchase).

I'm sure most of us have exchanged their sets several times and giving up after the third or fourth replacement set still had errors. I went through a total of 5 Season 1 sets (all with some degree of errors), I expected the same with Season 2, went through 3 sets and figured it would be the same thing.

We've already bought the sets once, why should we have to pay more money just to be able to watch the episodes all the way through, shouldn't this have been possible since day one?

That's basically what I said in my email, I'll let you guys know if I get a response, in the meantime I suggest anyone reading this to do the same.

In all honesty, I can't see that many people contacting them about replacements, so I don't really see it being an issue... but they should have done it right the first time!

Dr Frasier Crane
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#6 Post by Dr Frasier Crane »

I recently picked up the new releases and am very happy with them.

I can pretty much confirm that Season 1 is missing the Season 5 Premiere and Season 3 Simon & Simon crossover. While I don't mind losing the Season 5 episodes (as the Season 5 DVD set has the "one-part" version) you will want to keep your original Season 1 bonus disc as to my knowledge this is the only way to get the original version of that episode. (The season 3 release has the syndication version with the lame ending.)

The content on the discs themselves is the same as the original release, except for a new anti-piracy image when you start up the disc. What doesn't make sense to me is why, if they had to re-make the discs themselves (as adding anything to the disc would require a new disc image to be rendered) why didn't they just include the crossover episode on the last disc where there is plenty of space? Maybe if they re-release season 3 like this they'll put it there where it belongs?

Either way, if you've had any issues with your discs it's worth the $10 bucks to get better discs in better packaging.

Coligion
Lieutenant Commander

#7 Post by Coligion »

Dr Frasier Crane wrote: I can pretty much confirm that Season 1 is missing the Season 5 Premiere and Season 3 Simon & Simon crossover. While I don't mind losing the Season 5 episodes (as the Season 5 DVD set has the "one-part" version) you will want to keep your original Season 1 bonus disc as to my knowledge this is the only way to get the original version of that episode. (The season 3 release has the syndication version with the lame ending.)
I went ahead and traded in my seasons 1 and 2 after buying the re-releases. Before I did so, I made sure to make a copy of that 4th disc with the Simon and Simon crossover episode. Shame on Universal for dropping the extra content :x.

stever
Lieutenant Commander

#8 Post by stever »

Thanks for the heads up. I picked up both the first two seasons at Target for the afore mentioned low price of $9.99 per set. My wife just rolled her eyes when I showed her my purchase.
SR

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Little Garwood »

What a relief to get these on single-sided discs! My old S1 had three episodes that wouldn't play properly; always skipping and freezing at the same points. My S2 works fine but for the $9.99 price tag of the new set, I grabbed that too. I hop S3 and 4 also get this treatment.

By the way, ever notice that S1's picture quality is the best among the first six seasons of the DVDs?
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck