Magnum lifestyle on the cheap

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

Magnum lifestyle on the cheap

#1 Post by Reef monkey »

We can't all be live-in security consultants for famous authors, and our wives won't let us use the kids' college savings on a 308GT, but there are some ways you can live a facsimile of his lifestyle. Of course, there is plenty of stuff out there about where you can get team rings, sunglasses, UDT shorts, Dodger caps, etc., but I thought I'd focus on a couple of big-ticket items, and suggest a couple of MUCH cheaper alternatives:

The Ferrari: you can pick up one of the early 80s 308s or a mondial, even one with less than 50k, for about $30,000. The sticker price itself is actually not to bad when you compare it to the price of a new SUV. However, the full ownership cost is going to be a lot more. My brother has an 86 Lambourgini Countach, and that thing is broken down half the time. Not like he can take it to his local garage, either. Plus, for most of us, $30K is still way too much to pay for a "play car" that won't be useful for picking the kids up from soccer practice. If you broaden your imagination enough, and can accept just a red Italian sports car, then why not try an Alfa Romeo Spyder Veloce from the late 70s through early 80s. Drivable ones can be had for$3,000, maybe even less. And they are simple enough to work on yourself.

The surfski - a new fiberglass surfski like Magnum's runs $3,000 to $5,000. If you're going to be really into the sport, that's really not to bad. If you live on the West Coast, you can probably find used ones, too, but if not, you will likely have a hard time finding used or new. Plus, surfskis are very tippy, can be frustrating to learn to ride. A plastic sit-on-top kayak is easy to use the first time you try (though get a little training for safety sake) and new ones can be found at sporting goods stores throughout the country for as low as $200. Though I recommend spending a little more, as the short cheap kayaks can be frustratingly slow. One I can recommend personally is the Ocean Kayak Frenzy. New they are under $500, but they are so popular used ones are widely available for even cheaper. Hobie and Wilderness Systems also make good, widely available kayaks, with the lower end (but still fun to paddle) models being similar in price.

As far as Magnum's Colt M1911A1 goes, if you are into firearms, that is really easy to get on the cheap. The real thing is widely available and not that expensive, and lots of gun companies like Taurus make perfectly serviceable knockoffs.

Update:
While we can't all live in Hawaii, or even on the ocean, there are steps you can take to "Magnify" your house. If your wife doesn't mind, or you have a "man-cave", you can certainly decorate it in a tropical or tiki theme - a lot of rattan and bamboo, wooden masks on the wall, etc.

I'm fortunate in that my wife shares my eclectic decorating tastes. I have traveled a lot in Mexico, Africa, Europe and Japan and have brought home folk art, so our living room has an old school globetrotting adventurer look, wooden masks, carvings, a Maasai spear, etc., kind of like the Adventurer's Club on Pleasure Island in Downtown Disney in Orlando, if you've ever been there. It is certainly a place that Higgins would be comfortable in. I also inherited two chinese chests as end tables and a chinese coffee table from my grandmother, so that has informed our style in that room.

If you don't already have the stuff I have but want to go for that look, hit Pier One and Cost Plus World Market.

Indoor plants like Neanthabella palms can lend a tropical flair.

Then in the backyard, go with tropical landscaping. I am on the Gulf Coast, so I can do a lot of tropicals - bananas, ginger, philodendron, hibiscus, bird of paradise, canna lilies, etc.

If you live in a colder climate, there are a lot of "tropical looking" plants that can survive freezing, like canna lilies, some hibiscus, and rose of sharon, even chinese windmill palms do really well in cold climates. You can also keep more tender tropical plants in pots, and bring them inside during the winter. I do that with my pygmy date palm and plumeria (the plant Hawaiians use the flowers of to make leis).

If you have a swimming pool, that is a great way to have a tropical resort feel in your backyard. I don't but I did put in a 150 gallon pond that really adds to the feel of the backyard, especially in the summer when the water lily is in bloom. I also keep small, colorful native fish that I catch nearby, like sailfin mollies, golden topminnows, and orangespotted sunfish, as well as small crayfish.

Of course, I don't recommend this for everyone, but if you were really hardcore, you could choose your house to fit your Magnum lifestyle. There are a lot of mid 1960s ranch-style houses out there which had an Asian flair. Here are two examples in different neighborhoods of Houston.

midcentury modern 2 by mmyers1976

Midcentury modern by mmyers1976
Last edited by Reef monkey on Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

Re: Magnum lifestyle on the cheap

#2 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Thanks for all that Reef Monkey. Very useful advice! So what do you recommend for an ocean-front estate?
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Reef monkey »

Styles Bitchley wrote:Thanks for all that Reef Monkey. Very useful advice! So what do you recommend for an ocean-front estate?
Marry into money.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#4 Post by Pahonu »

Reef monkey wrote:We can't all be live-in security consultants for famous authors, and our wives won't let us use the kids' college savings on a 308GT, but there are some ways you can live a facsimile of his lifestyle. Of course, there is plenty of stuff out there about where you can get team rings, sunglasses, UDT shorts, Dodger caps, etc., but I thought I'd focus on a couple of big-ticket items, and suggest a couple of MUCH cheaper alternatives:

The Ferrari: you can pick up one of the early 80s 308s or a mondial, even one with less than 50k, for about $30,000. The sticker price itself is actually not to bad when you compare it to the price of a new SUV. However, the full ownership cost is going to be a lot more. My brother has an 86 Lambourgini Countach, and that thing is broken down half the time. Not like he can take it to his local garage, either. Plus, for most of us, $30K is still way too much to pay for a "play car" that won't be useful for picking the kids up from soccer practice. If you broaden your imagination enough, and can accept just a red Italian sports car, then why not try an Alfa Romeo Spyder Veloce from the late 70s through early 80s. Drivable ones can be had for$3,000, maybe even less. And they are simple enough to work on yourself.

The surfski - a new fiberglass surfski like Magnum's runs $3,000 to $5,000. If you're going to be really into the sport, that's really not to bad. If you live on the West Coast, you can probably find used ones, too, but if not, you will likely have a hard time finding used or new. Plus, surfskis are very tippy, can be frustrating to learn to ride. A plastic sit-on-top kayak is easy to use the first time you try (though get a little training for safety sake) and new ones can be found at sporting goods stores throughout the country for as low as $200. Though I recommend spending a little more, as the short cheap kayaks can be frustratingly slow. One I can recommend personally is the Ocean Kayak Frenzy. New they are under $500, but they are so popular used ones are widely available for even cheaper. Hobie and Wilderness Systems also make good, widely available kayaks, with the lower end (but still fun to paddle) models being similar in price.

As far as Magnum's Colt M1911A1 goes, if you are into firearms, that is really easy to get on the cheap. The real thing is widely available and not that expensive, and lots of gun companies like Taurus make perfectly serviceable knockoffs.
Hey Reef,

Welcome to the forum. I've been kayaking for 20 years now. It's good to meet another member into it. I've had several over the years. Currently I have a Cobra Explorer with a well for a tank. My wife uses my old Hobie. I'm considering a newer Hobie that can be rigged with pedals and even sails.

Where do you paddle? I'm in Long Beach CA, so there's all kinds of places to go. I've been up and down the coast paddling from Santa Barbara to La Jolla near San Diego. I've even camped with a buddy for a few days out of a two person sit-in. I've paddled around Catalina Island and in the back bay of Newport Harbor. I've seen all kinds of cool stuff including sea turtles and dolphins mating!

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Reef monkey »

Thanks for the welcome, Pahonu. Good to meet another paddler. I paddle in West Galveston Bay and out in the Gulf of Mexico. Occasionally I'll go really far offshore (6 to 9 miles) to fish for mahi mahi, snapper, spade fish and mackerel! Jacks, porgies, sharks, but since my boats are shorter, I gow with a buddy who has two WS Tarpon 160s. I do that trip maybe once a year if I am lucky, because the conditions have to be perfect and it's pretty exhausting by the end of the day.

Pahonu

#6 Post by Pahonu »

Sounds fun. You know, I've never fished off my kayak. I've been fishing many time on friends boats, but never the kayak. That would be a workout. The farthest I've gone in one day is about 16-18 miles when my buddy and I paddled south from Newport Harbor past Dana Point and camped for two nights. Then we paddled back north against the current after launching through much bigger surf (with a loaded boat) than when we'd arrived. it took us a full two hours longer to get back than the trip down. That was back in '94. We came very close to signing up for a group paddle to Catalina Island to camp which is about a 22 mile trip. Now I mostly poke around the Long Beach area and occasionally to the oil platforms or the breakwater.

How long is your kayak? My Cobra is a little over 13 feet. Is the Tarpon 160's length 16 feet? That same friend of mine made a wooden kayak from a kit that's about 16 feet long. It was by Chesapeake Lightcraft, I think it was.

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Reef monkey »

Pahonu wrote:Sounds fun. You know, I've never fished off my kayak. I've been fishing many time on friends boats, but never the kayak. That would be a workout. The farthest I've gone in one day is about 16-18 miles when my buddy and I paddled south from Newport Harbor past Dana Point and camped for two nights. Then we paddled back north against the current after launching through much bigger surf (with a loaded boat) than when we'd arrived. it took us a full two hours longer to get back than the trip down. That was back in '94. We came very close to signing up for a group paddle to Catalina Island to camp which is about a 22 mile trip. Now I mostly poke around the Long Beach area and occasionally to the oil platforms or the breakwater.

How long is your kayak? My Cobra is a little over 13 feet. Is the Tarpon 160's length 16 feet? That same friend of mine made a wooden kayak from a kit that's about 16 feet long. It was by Chesapeake Lightcraft, I think it was.
yeah, the 160 is 16 feet. My OK Frenzy is about 9 and a half, then I have a traditional three man canoe that is about 15. Those cobras are good boats, I hear they make very stable scuba diving platforms. Do you dive?

Pahonu

#8 Post by Pahonu »

Reef monkey wrote:
Pahonu wrote:Sounds fun. You know, I've never fished off my kayak. I've been fishing many time on friends boats, but never the kayak. That would be a workout. The farthest I've gone in one day is about 16-18 miles when my buddy and I paddled south from Newport Harbor past Dana Point and camped for two nights. Then we paddled back north against the current after launching through much bigger surf (with a loaded boat) than when we'd arrived. it took us a full two hours longer to get back than the trip down. That was back in '94. We came very close to signing up for a group paddle to Catalina Island to camp which is about a 22 mile trip. Now I mostly poke around the Long Beach area and occasionally to the oil platforms or the breakwater.

yeah, the 160 is 16 feet. My OK Frenzy is about 9 and a half, then I have a traditional three man canoe that is about 15. Those cobras are good boats, I hear they make very stable scuba diving platforms. Do you dive?
It is solid. It's rated for diving to cary 400 pounds! I am PADI certified, but I never bought all my own equipment. I've only dived about a dozen or so times since getting my card, but I snorkel all the time. Any time I get to Catalina Island I go. I've been in several coves there. I took my kids last summer for the first time. I've also dived and snorkeled in La Jolla and Mission Bay, both near San Diego. I have a tether to dive off my kayak, but the visibility around Long Beach is usually poor. I did snorkel off it in Laguna Beach once and near San Pedro. You dive?

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Reef monkey »

Pahonu wrote: It is solid. It's rated for diving to cary 400 pounds! I am PADI certified, but I never bought all my own equipment. I've only dived about a dozen or so times since getting my card, but I snorkel all the time. Any time I get to Catalina Island I go. I've been in several coves there. I took my kids last summer for the first time. I've also dived and snorkeled in La Jolla and Mission Bay, both near San Diego. I have a tether to dive off my kayak, but the visibility around Long Beach is usually poor. I did snorkel off it in Laguna Beach once and near San Pedro. You dive?
I do dive. I've got naui ow, padi advanced and rescue. Mostly I dive on vacation, but I have gone on one trip to some rigs, amazingly there are angelfish, butterflies, blennies corals and sponges, all sorts of tropical reef animals living on the rigs just off the Texas coast. I did that by motorboat, not kayak. By the way, I love La Jolla, beautiful place, I could totally live there.

Pahonu

#10 Post by Pahonu »

Reef monkey wrote:
Pahonu wrote: It is solid. It's rated for diving to cary 400 pounds! I am PADI certified, but I never bought all my own equipment. I've only dived about a dozen or so times since getting my card, but I snorkel all the time. Any time I get to Catalina Island I go. I've been in several coves there. I took my kids last summer for the first time. I've also dived and snorkeled in La Jolla and Mission Bay, both near San Diego. I have a tether to dive off my kayak, but the visibility around Long Beach is usually poor. I did snorkel off it in Laguna Beach once and near San Pedro. You dive?
I do dive. I've got naui ow, padi advanced and rescue. Mostly I dive on vacation, but I have gone on one trip to some rigs, amazingly there are angelfish, butterflies, blennies corals and sponges, all sorts of tropical reef animals living on the rigs just off the Texas coast. I did that by motorboat, not kayak. By the way, I love La Jolla, beautiful place, I could totally live there.
I just have the PADI open water and I've only dived at the coast. The rig sounds interesting. I hear you about La Jolla, but... $$$$$

Styles Bitchley

#11 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Can either of you guys explain the difference between a sit-on-top kayak and a surf-ski? If the kayak is more stable, why would you bother with a surf-ski?
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Braddah Kimo »

pardon the interjection but this is what i hear: "A surf ski is a long, narrow, lightweight kayak with an open (sit-on-top) cockpit, usually with a foot pedal controlled rudder". Thus, a surf ski is a misnomer. it is neither. Or also, it is just another name for a sit on top kayak.

Waterbug Blue
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Waterbug Blue »

Hmm it certainly is a type sit-on-top kayak, but those are usually wider and do as a rule not have any rudders - although this has been changing recently too. It is called a ski for its gliding ability - skiing is gliding down snow, waterskiing means gliding across water, and thanks to the surf ski you can glide on the waves :)

Pahonu

#14 Post by Pahonu »

Styles Bitchley wrote:Can either of you guys explain the difference between a sit-on-top kayak and a surf-ski? If the kayak is more stable, why would you bother with a surf-ski?
A surf-ski is indeed a type of sit-on-top kayak, and they are fast. That's pretty much it. They are the sports cars of the kayak world: long, narrow and quick. My kayak, by comparison, with its load rating and storage capacity is closer to a pick-up truck. I have even camped off of a two-man boat with a larger capacity. Smaller, shorter surf kayaks for playing in the surf might be compared to off-road 4x4 types.

The instability is because of its narrowness, but the payoff is lower drag, and higher potential speed. They also tend to be lighter because they aren't made with nearly indestructable, but relatively heavy polypropylene plastic like most kayaks. This allows for faster acceleration. Their hulls remind me somewhat of rowing shells. The instability is heightened when not moving or going slowly, perhaps analagous to a bike, but at speed they are fairly stable. So floating around fishing off one would be a pain, but you could beat everyone to the fishing spot. :D

Styles Bitchley

#15 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Thanks Pahonu. That makes sense!

- J.Q.H.