U.K. Region 2 DVD questions

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Coligion
Lieutenant Commander

U.K. Region 2 DVD questions

#1 Post by Coligion »

I've been having a lot of issues with my region 1 Magnum DVDs (seasons 1-4). They've been skipping, freezing, etc...Nothing new here. Just the same old problems with the DVD-18 format. I've tried playing several of the episodes in question on 4 different DVD players with mostly the same result. Anyway, I've decided I may want to purchase the U.K. releases that come on single-sided discs (only seasons 1-4). I wanted to ask those on this board with these sets if there is anything I should be aware of before going this route? Off hand, one question I had has to do with the episode "Emeralds Are Not a Girl's Best Friend." I know the crossover episode from Simon and Simon is included on the region 1 set. However, I wanted to know if any of the U.K. seasons gave you this second part? Thanks much :D.

Louise
Captain

#2 Post by Louise »

I'm in the UK so have the UK region DVDs. I've never seen Simon and Simon.

The only crossover episode included on the UK DVDs is the Murder She Wrote one, "Magnum On Ice" which is included with Season 7.

With Season 2 you get an A-Team episode "Diamonds and Dust" and a Knight Rider episode "Brother's Keeper". Both seem strange extra features, or am I missing something? :? :)

With Season 4 you get the 5th Season episode "Mac's Back" as an extra feature.

Hope that helps! :)

Coligion
Lieutenant Commander

#3 Post by Coligion »

Thanks for the reply. So, the U.K. sets do not provide the crossover episode "Emeralds Are Not a Girl's Best friend?" This episode connects "Ki's' Don't Lie." That's interesting that the crossover episode for Murder, She Wrote ("Magnum on Ice") is included, but not the Simon and Simon connection.

Waterbug Blue
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Waterbug Blue »

Same seems to be true for other region 2 editions as well - I checked British, Italian, German, and French.

Marco
Commander

#5 Post by Marco »

The crossover is sold here within the Simon and Simon Series DVD Box Set 2.1 - for the german speaking fans: It contains the old and the recent dubbed versions.

Waterbug Blue
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Waterbug Blue »

So you'd have to buy Simon & Simon 2.1? is the MPI on it too?

Marco
Commander

#7 Post by Marco »

Yes, it contains both parts (the Magnum and S&S Episode) in English original audio and for the german fans it also contains the first dubbing plus the recent dubbings (which are pretty rare since not shown in TV since the 80s).

Waterbug Blue
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Waterbug Blue »

Don't see why they couldn't do that for the MPI DVDs ??? Ah well, good to know it's out there - thanks a lot!

Louise
Captain

#9 Post by Louise »

Re the UK DVDs - I can only assume that they include the Murder She Wrote crossover and not the S&S one because MSW was well known in the UK (and is still being shown on daytime TV) whereas S&S wasn't so well-known.

It's still annoying though. Instead of putting spurious A-Team and Knight Rider episodes with season 2 (which was obviously meant to try and make people go out and buy AT and KR DVDs), I'd have much rather have had the S&S crossover which I've never seen.

Coligion
Lieutenant Commander

#10 Post by Coligion »

For those annoyed with the DVD-18 discs as much as me, I have been informed that seasons 1 and 2 will get re-releases on single-sided discs. This is supposed to happen come July 3rd of this year.

http://www.amazon.ca/Magnum-Pi-Season-T ... aycom0c-20

http://www.betamonline.net/magnum-pi-se ... 5192115134

Six discs instead of four should certainly mean they will be single-sided. I was just about to buy the U.K. sets, but I think I will hold off and see how these turn out. It's unfortunate Universal won't have some sort of replacement program to get this set instead of being stuck with the all-too-faulty DVD-18s.

Coligion
Lieutenant Commander

#11 Post by Coligion »

Now showing up on Amazon.com's site:

First Season DVD

The 6-disc second season is still only showing up through Amazon.ca