Things you may or may not know about Magnum PI

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

sealion
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Things you may or may not know about Magnum PI

#1 Post by sealion »

hi Magnum fans! Im new to this site.I found it by accident when I googled Kristen Carreira to see what she s doing 25yrs on after I was watching "resolutions" today. I live in New Zealand 8 hours from the lovely Aloha state. Growing up watching MAGNUM PI in the 80s was terrific and so is now reliving it on Dvd. (I have managed to get all 8 seasons). One thing that really impressed me about Tom S, was originally he didnt want to do the show, but was bound by a "contract" with universal. He did the pilot, then at the end of the first season he told Larry , John , and Roger that if the show continued to climb in ratings he would buy them all a gift..........a Porshe each !!!!! :D By the end of season 3 he made good on his promise. What a Guy !

"out of my way Higgins before I run you down and enjoy it !!!!!! "[/i]

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#2 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Welcome Sea Lion! Glad to hear you're enjoying rediscovering the show like many of us here. Larry talks about the Porsches in the radio interview James recently posted...he had just purchased one of the Ferraris used in production when the Porsche (I think 928) showed up. I think the car that was envisioned to be Magnum's car before the 308 was actually the 928 Porsche. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

SHANE
Ensign

#3 Post by SHANE »

i just found this site also.was just searching for "where are they now" wanted to see what magnums best friends from show were doing now.lol cool site. glad to see that ther are alot of magnum fans still around :D

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Braddah Kimo »

Selleck is/was known for his egoless, non ostentatious largesse. When he was offered a raise he said "ok, then all my other costars get proportionate raises too!" and they did.

sealion
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#5 Post by sealion »

wow , I didnt know that (about TS getting raises for his co stars if he got one), but it sounds typical of him. I also seem to re call that during the filming of one of the seasons he rescued a drowning swimmer (I think it was a small boy if memory serves me correctly) somewhere along one of the beaches in hawaii, and of course downplayed his heroism. The doco I saw on TV some years ago mentioned one day after a long shoot, he went home(his home in Hawaii) and an "obsessed" female fan had broken into his property . He had to call the police to get her removed, but Tom didnt press charges against her, which I thought was quite good of him.Lots of others would have.
"WAY TO GO T M "
TC

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#6 Post by J.J. Walters »

He's also purchased the gang Porsches and Rolex watches. What a class act!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Braddah Kimo »

"Tom didnt press charges against her, which I thought was quite good of him. Lots of others would have." we don't do that in Hawai'i. We don't heap negativity on negativity. We allow for some human-ness and indiscretion and live and let live...

Hawaii Winds
Admiral

Re:

#8 Post by Hawaii Winds »

Styles Bitchley wrote:Welcome Sea Lion! Glad to hear you're enjoying rediscovering the show like many of us here. Larry talks about the Porsches in the radio interview James recently posted...he had just purchased one of the Ferraris used in production when the Porsche (I think 928) showed up. I think the car that was envisioned to be Magnum's car before the 308 was actually the 928 Porsche. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Does anyone here what happened to all of the 308 Ferrari's used in the Magnum's series went, sold? Museum?

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Re: Re:

#9 Post by ConchRepublican »

Hawaii Winds wrote:
Styles Bitchley wrote:Welcome Sea Lion! Glad to hear you're enjoying rediscovering the show like many of us here. Larry talks about the Porsches in the radio interview James recently posted...he had just purchased one of the Ferraris used in production when the Porsche (I think 928) showed up. I think the car that was envisioned to be Magnum's car before the 308 was actually the 928 Porsche. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Does anyone here what happened to all of the 308 Ferrari's used in the Magnum's series went, sold? Museum?
Larry Manetti has, or had, one .....
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Re: Things you may or may not know about Magnum PI

#10 Post by KENJI »

Hi H.W.,

Have a look at the Ferrari section on M.M.
http://magnum-mania.com/Articles/The_Ferrari.html
for the answer to your question. I believe Larry sold his 308. It would be interesting to find out where that one is parked at the moment, maybe Larry could help with that.

Correction....I just clicked on the Cumbria link and it sends you to a museum in Florida. The Cumbria museum closed :shock: that 308 is now in Florida.....very interesting!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cars_of_th ... tor_Museum

Here is another link with location info....... http://hollywoodmoviecostumesandprops.b ... um-pi.html

Hi Doc,
Can you change that info in the Ferrari section (when things settle down for you)?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#11 Post by J.J. Walters »

I bet you didn't know that no fewer than seven former Playboy "Playmates of the Month" have graced the Magnum P.I. screen. :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#12 Post by ConchRepublican »

J.J. Walters wrote:I bet you didn't know that no fewer than seven former Playboy "Playmates of the Month" have graced the Magnum P.I. screen. :)

I like what you're doing with your new freedom. :wink:
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

J.J. Walters wrote:I bet you didn't know that no fewer than seven former Playboy "Playmates of the Month" have graced the Magnum P.I. screen. :)
Hi JJ,
Did the ladies in question have big parts? Okay, let me rephrase that, were they eye candy in the background or did they have speaking parts? If you would just post all their centerfolds, that would be a big help. Thanking you in advance,
Mike

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#14 Post by marlboro »

I can name six of them. Who was the seventh?

Kimberly McArthur - L.A. (hot tub scene deleted on dvd) :(
Anulka Dziubinska - Mixed Doubles
Pamela Jean Bryant - Autumn Warrior
Stella Stevens & Lourdes Estores - Find Me a Rainbow
Karen Price - I Never Wanted to Go to France, Anyway (they really should not have killed her off so early. IMDB says she had a career as a stunt woman. Any chance she did that helicopter stunt in the beginning?

Edit: Lillian Muller - Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii

Any more?

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by 308GUY »

spoiler alert: This is completely in jest!
[jest]
"Who is Don Luis Marlboro, and Why Is He Doing These Terrible Things to Me?"

Ok, I can understand knowing who all those girls are and when and where they appeared in the show, but how does one know that the hot tub scene in "L.A." was omitted on DVD? :shock:

Let's just say that there are some VERY detail oriented, VERY observant, VERY astute folks here on this board, and let it go at that.

Would you happen to be willing to share 6 good numbers one could use to buy a ticket to paradise?
[/jest]

Yea I know, you are very good at looking things up on the "web"! :lol:

Whatever the case may be, keep it up, really enjoy learning new details without having to spend the time "hunting". :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"