Bondtoys Hawaii december 2011

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

Bondtoys Hawaii december 2011

#1 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Hi guys,

finding a little time to sort some pics from my recent Hawaii trip.
My sincere thanks go to Sam, who helped me a lot when preparing everything. You are absolutely great!

We have been spending 3 days on the beach next to the tidal pool and I have never gotten bored from the view:

Full pic link:
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/2228/l1030821kopie.jpg

The gate:

The sqare slab in the tidal pool:

guest house:

guest house side view:

The tidal wall and the estate:

The tidal wall tennis court side:

entrance to the estate seaside

We've also visited Agatha's home:

located in a very nice neighborhood:

The road, that we can see very often Magnum driving the Ferrari has been updated:

The beach in front of the Kahala resort beach, where a lot of the scenes have been shot:

At the end of this beach we can see Magnum jogging pretty often:

Being a watch nut, I could not resist to do a MPI inspired watch shot...

In general, weather was not very warm, pretty windy and not very often sunny.
We where almost the only people on that beach for the entire 3 days and for me, a dream became true!! *

*my wife was bored to death ;)
Last edited by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) on Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lily
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by Lily »

Great pictures...thanks for sharing!

Sand looks as though it is again returning. Will be there in February to see for myself...cant wait!

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Danno »

Nice photos, Bond! What did you think of Oahu in general?

Am totally envious of the Rolex! 8)
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#4 Post by J.J. Walters »

Whoa, great pics! Thanks for sharing! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#5 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Simply amazing. Might use the first for my computer wallpaper.

I'm ready for my next trip!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Thanks for all nice comments.

That Rolex is not really screen accurate, it's the newer model but it's my everyday watch, which has been to all locations with me around the world.
I am still waiting for an accurate one to cross my path.

What do I think about Hawaii? I'll be very honest here:

Definitely nice islands (I have oply been to Oahu) with lots of nice people.
Beaches (except Waikiki which is Miami Beach in miniature imho) nice, water quality outstanding but I liked it much better on Phuket/Thailand.

Waikiki hotels are pretty overpriced and so are many restaurants. The good thing is, that you find bunches of good japanese takeouts there.

The vergetation is stunning, the sunsets and sunrises are nice.

Overall, it was a must for me to be there - mainly because of the Magnum P.I. connection, but I don't think, that I'll come back.

The way from Europe (11 hours from Munich to San Francisco and another 5 1/2 hrs to Honolulu) is very long and expensive and if you are hopping the islands, you'll pay a lot of money for admittedly nice places.

But it was important to me having been there once and I'll never forget the days on Robin's beach...

My next trip may go to the Seychelles though (and I am aware, that the hotel & food prices are outrageous there ;) )

paperwar
Commander

#7 Post by paperwar »

Can completely copy that!

Bondtoys.de wrote:Thanks for all nice comments.

What do I think about Hawaii? I'll be very honest here:

Definitely nice islands (I have oply been to Oahu) with lots of nice people.
Beaches (except Waikiki which is Miami Beach in miniature imho) nice, water quality outstanding but I liked it much better on Phuket/Thailand.

Waikiki hotels are pretty overpriced and so are many restaurants. The good thing is, that you find bunches of good japanese takeouts there.

The vergetation is stunning, the sunsets and sunrises are nice.

Overall, it was a must for me to be there - mainly because of the Magnum P.I. connection, but I don't think, that I'll come back.

The way from Europe (11 hours from Munich to San Francisco and another 5 1/2 hrs to Honolulu) is very long and expensive and if you are hopping the islands, you'll pay a lot of money for admittedly nice places.

But it was important to me having been there once and I'll never forget the days on Robin's beach...

My next trip may go to the Seychelles though (and I am aware, that the hotel & food prices are outrageous there ;) )

The Birdman
Vice Admiral

#8 Post by The Birdman »

So the beach is public right behind the estate? I'd hate living there, with people standing right outside my fence taking pics. :roll:

The pic of the road: I noticed right off that it has rumble strip in the MIDDLE. Very good idea. Here the rumble strips are on the shoulder. I have at least 3 people come over the line at me every time I go into town here, in oregon. :evil:

Lt Tanaka
Vice Admiral

#9 Post by Lt Tanaka »

The Birdman wrote:So the beach is public right behind the estate?
EVERY beach in Hawaii is public. There are no private beaches.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#10 Post by Pahonu »

The Birdman wrote:So the beach is public right behind the estate? I'd hate living there, with people standing right outside my fence taking pics. :roll:

The pic of the road: I noticed right off that it has rumble strip in the MIDDLE. Very good idea. Here the rumble strips are on the shoulder. I have at least 3 people come over the line at me every time I go into town here, in oregon. :evil:
Public acces to the beaches is state law in Hawaii as it is here in California. There are no private beaches and that sometimes can even apply to federal lands. There's a path through Vandenberg Air Force Base here on the Central Coast to allow access to a good surf spot! I don't know about Oregon, but public access laws are very common here in the west. Of course, that doesn't mean individuals don't try to "discourage" beachgoers from using "their" beach. There have been some pretty high profile cases in SoCal pitting the California Coastal Condition against some very famous and powerful individuals with beachfront properties. The trend lately seems to be favoring citizens access after decades of ignoring the problem.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

The Birdman wrote:So the beach is public right behind the estate? I'd hate living there, with people standing right outside my fence taking pics. :roll:
Well, I guess, that some people in Santa Monica have the same complaints.

I for my part prefer "open" beaches over "private access" like you can see in Cannes for example. When you buy and own such a property you know in advance, that the beach is public - no big surprises here.

That does not justify to climb over the fence however ;)

The Birdman wrote:The pic of the road: I noticed right off that it has rumble strip in the MIDDLE. Very good idea. Here the rumble strips are on the shoulder. I have at least 3 people come over the line at me every time I go into town here, in oregon. :evil:
Wish that we had rumble strips at all here in Germany ;)

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Miss Q »

GREAT pics!

I completely understand your comment that your wife was bored, thats why my hubby keeps shying away from Hawaii as a vacation spot.

He doesnt want to be dragged to all the MPI locations...

Hopefully one day I will get there....
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Have just received an email from Sam:

The Agatha House location was based on Rubberchicken's guide.
He really did a great job and hard work creating this list and I often use it just to get an idea, where something may have been.

So Kudos to RC and thank you very much!

scotty73
Captain

#14 Post by scotty73 »

Hey Miss Q

My special lady is in no way as devoted as me to Magnum PI and thought similarly. We'd shied away from Oahu for the same reason but once I dragged her there she LOVED it!

Even dragging her around to some of the sites & spending days pursuing locations there's always something to do, someone to talk to, a sight to behold.

Don't hesitate to go for your next trip! You will have the time of your life.
We are still in contact with people we met there. And dream of going back soon.

You can do season 1's King Kamehameha club, Robin's Nest, Valley of the Temples & other sites in the south-western quadrant easily in one day. Get a photo out the front of the club like you're greeting TC, swimming in the tidal pool is awesome, Byodo-In Temple is amazing & serene.

I say go for it - shouldn't be hard to convince him - and have the best holiday you'll ever have.

Cheers, Scotty (and Joanne) :D

TheLads
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#15 Post by TheLads »

Great pictures! The guest house is in awful shape ... :cry: But everything else looks exactly as it was during the show!