Magnum being a Seal

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

Magnum being a Seal

#1 Post by Miss Q »

OK, I have a question for the group.....

If Magnum was a seal, which we know the character to be, why was he beaten up so much....

He should of at least come out even in his fighting track record. He never really had a 'seal' stealthy fighting moves either.

Just a thought.

I know, I know TS didnt want the character to be perfect, but still, just saying....
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#2 Post by N1095A »

Because Selleck wanted the TM character to be self-effacing, and human. Not always winning fights, but conveying a sence of humility that made viewers relate to him rather than seeing him as larger than life.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Thomas_Magnum
Commander

#3 Post by Thomas_Magnum »

No offense, guys and gals, but its actually SEAL (for Sea Air and Land) and not seal. I don't mean to be petty, but a "seal" is a marine mammal.
...and that, as they say, is the hell of it.

Majordomo
Vice Admiral

#4 Post by Majordomo »

I do not know hardly anything about BUDS And SEAL training and all of that, but I always attributed his lack of hand to hand combat to him being trained as more of an intelligence officer. SUre, he had to go through all the training and had tours in Nam and stuff, but his specialty was Intelligence....kinda like a corpsman's specialty is medic-stuff...

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Miss Q »

TM you are correct. In an effort to type my message quickly I used the wrong grammer.

My appologies to all....
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#6 Post by J.J. Walters »

Ah, I wouldn't say he's "beaten up so much". He's won more fights than he has lost. The ones he looses are usually because he's outnumbered or he gets sucker punched. Rarely has he been flat out beaten one-on-one, Mano-a-mano. He's also older and is a good 10+ years removed from peak SEAL training condition. The Old Dusseldorf works against him as well. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!