where is the best place to buy cds of all magnum episodes?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

eccoboot
Ensign

where is the best place to buy cds of all magnum episodes?

#1 Post by eccoboot »

Hi, i wish to buy all episodes of magnum,all seasons, where is the best place to acquire same? what should i expect to pay?, i live in Colorado...

Majordomo
Vice Admiral

#2 Post by Majordomo »

Hello, new guy!

I do not know if there is a one stop shop where you can get all of the DVD's. I usually check out amazon.com. You can buy each season and the price will vary. I actaully have all but one season left to get (season 6 I believe), but I keep waiting for it to drop in price.

Therefore, I would recommend to shop around. I think if you can find one of the seasons for around $20, then it is a great deal. I have seen them cheaper, though.

The Birdman
Vice Admiral

#3 Post by The Birdman »

Amazon or ebay.

How long does it take to watch a season? Episodes are what, 15 minutes when they don't have commercials? How many episodes in a season?
I've wanted to buy the DVDs but I never really have time to sit down and watch 'em.

Edit: Magnum was 1 hour 'sode, huh?

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Frodoleader »

We picked up all of our copies at Best Buy. Probably not the best price, but we have them all now!
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

Dr Frasier Crane
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#5 Post by Dr Frasier Crane »

You could always try the official NBCUniversal store. I got some Law & order DVDs on sale new for $20 bucks each, and they were usually $50. However, on one of the seasons one of the discs was scratched, which annoyed me.

if you don't own any Magnum Discs, you should know that the first four seasons use the "Double-Sided" discs, which are a real pain to keep scratch free. There were no other releases, so don't worry about it, but just be careful when handling them. My Season 1 Disc 1 won't even play two of the episodes except on one specific DVD player.

Also, for the record, Hulu has the entire first season of Magnum available for streaming, at least in the US.

GoodGadMagnum
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#6 Post by GoodGadMagnum »

Can dvd's be transferred to ipods?

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

episodes are ~45 minutes long each.

And to see the DVDs on an iPod, you have to convert them into .m4v files.
Then you can drag & drop them directly into your ipod (connected via itunes).

Mr. Greene
Rear Admiral

#8 Post by Mr. Greene »

Banes and Noble runs a buy 2 get 1 free sale every few months, I completed a couple different collections that way plus if your a member of B&N you get an extra 10% off

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#9 Post by Styles Bitchley »

GoodGadMagnum wrote:Can dvd's be transferred to ipods?
The free program Handbrake is good at converting most files into iPod, iPad, Apple TV, etc. format. Problem is, because the DVDs are encrypted (to prevent people from ripping them and illegally redistributing them) you'll have to figure that part out on your own...try google.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Little Garwood »

It's taken me four years to do it, but I bought my MPI DVDs from Amazon Marketplace sellers. I paid no more than $18.00 for a new set, and that's including shipping. It's better if you can find a seller with the banner "Fulfilled by Amazon", which means it counts towards free shipping when you spend $25.00 and up.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Magnum3.14159265
Ensign

#11 Post by Magnum3.14159265 »

Target is doing a special now where they are selling seasons 1 + 2 and 3 + 4 in bundle packs for $15. For two seasons thats a steal I picked up the first four seasons there.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Seaver41 »

saw a Best Buy ad this Sunday........$9.99 for Season 7

Styles Bitchley

#13 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Magnum3.14159265 wrote:Target is doing a special now where they are selling seasons 1 + 2 and 3 + 4 in bundle packs for $15. For two seasons thats a steal I picked up the first four seasons there.
I can't believe how much I paid for them when they came out! But I guess if I knew had to wait seven years to start revisiting the episodes (to get them for under ten bucks each) I wouldn't have done anything differently.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Brian
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Brian »

I paid full price for my Magnum dvds as well, $50.00 a season. Probably the only show I would pay full price for. I hope they produce blu-ray version the series soon.
Sneakers Higgins!!

Styles Bitchley

#15 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Brian wrote:I paid full price for my Magnum dvds as well, $50.00 a season. Probably the only show I would pay full price for. I hope they produce blu-ray version the series soon.
Sorry. Universal won't suck me in again. I'd even enjoy watching Magnum on an old black and white TV...

George Lucas has tried to get me with his re-releases also. Not buying in.

After all, what could be improved upon with the DVDs other than offering additional features, mini-docs, etc.? Surely the picture quality can't get any better.

- J.Q.H.