UK Amazon Deal of the week

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

grambax
Lieutenant

UK Amazon Deal of the week

#1 Post by grambax »

Probably not needed by most members here, but am I allowed to say, for those who are in the UK and who may not have bought the whole series, or might want to give gifts?

Amazon.co.uk has each Season of Magnum P.I. for £7.77 this week.

Offer ends on September 25, 2011, at 23:59 BST

That would be the complete series for £62.

Majordomo
Vice Admiral

#2 Post by Majordomo »

So I take it the US folks can't take advantage of this deal?

I still need Season's 5 and 7 tp complete my collection...

grambax
Lieutenant

#3 Post by grambax »

Majordomo wrote:So I take it the US folks can't take advantage of this deal?

I still need Season's 5 and 7 tp complete my collection...
Customers in the US CAN buy from Amazon UK, but there would be two problems -

1) The discs will be PAL (the European TV system), and probably Region 2.

2) The cost of international postage may make it being worthwhile anyway.

Its quite common for people in the UK to have to purchase items from abroad, as far more stuff is released exclusively in the US than exclusively in the UK. Almost all UK TVs can play both PAL and NTSC, and many people get "unlocked" DVD players to play other Regions, but I'm told that fewer people in the US have equipment that can play foreign formats and Regions. If you know if your equipment can at least play PAL, I'll be happy to check if Magnum is Region locked. Warners for example rarely Region lock their catalogue titles, but I think Universal more commonly do.

Also, I think Amazon's postage from the UK to the US is considerably cheaper than the other way around. But it would be relatively simple to register with Amazon UK, add the items to your basket with a US address and see what the total cost is.

It is a pretty good deal, but my guess is that it probably isn't cheap enough to overcome the drawbacks.

But if anyone wants me to check if MPI is Region coded, I'd be happy to (I'd have to check the early Seasons, as they are all I have to hand, but they are probably all the same). Just let me know...

One final issue would be possible Customs charges. I don't know if the US charges import duty or not, but it is a factor which is making it increasingly difficult for us in the UK to import. For us, its not that the duty is so heafty (20%) but Royal Mail has been allowed to charge a set £8 (about $12) per parcel to administer the Import Duty, so you can imagine what that does to the cost of importing a DVD, and they are about to lower the threshold at which Import Duty applies here from £18 to £15, making the importing of any US TV Season sets pretty much impossible. :(