Air Dates and Production Dates

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

Air Dates and Production Dates

#1 Post by Sisophous »

I'm curious how far in advance most episodes were shot before they aired on television? Take for instance, a typical 48 minutes episode, what would be a common period of time from start to completion to produce a single episode in days/weeks and then how long would it be before it would air on television?

I can find the Airdate of all episodes but there is no listing that I could find on the production dates for any episode.

Thanks in advance for any info.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hello Sisophous,

If I remember correctly, the typical Magnum episode usually took between 7-10 days to film and would generally air 3-4 months later.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Sam »

Hi Sisophous,and welcome to the forum.

Rick Romer addresses the schedule in his blog.It looks like from start to air is roughly 4-5 weeks.Here is the link.Keep in mind the first episode of season 5 aired 9/27/84,the last episode was 4/4/85.

http://magnumdecorator.blogspot.com/200 ... swers.html

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#4 Post by J.J. Walters »

Well, clearly I didn't remember correctly (at least part of it, anyway)! 4-5 weeks, wow! :shock:

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Sam »

Hi JJ,

Your timeline sounded fine to me but I just happened to see Romers blog entry this morning so I thought I'd post it.

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#6 Post by Sisophous »

Sam wrote:
Rick Romer addresses the schedule in his blog.It looks like from start to air is roughly 4-5 weeks.

http://magnumdecorator.blogspot.com/200 ... swers.html
Glad I revisited this thread, but only 4-5 weeks from completion of production to airing seems unrealistic. I read the blog but did not find this mentioned.

I tend to agree it is closer to 3-4 months from production completion to air date as J.J. Walters commented. My estimate is based on how other TV shows work but I truly have no idea about Magnum P.I. which is why I asked.

It is strange how air dates are only listed and no production completion dates are recorded. I would think it would be meaningful to make note of it as their job would be done in the studio.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

Re: Air Dates and Production Dates

#7 Post by Sam »

Hello Sisophous,

I have this call sheet from the Luther Gillis:File#521 episode dated Tuesday Aug 16 1983.Assuming filming finished at the end of the week,about the 20th, and a air date of Oct 6th that puts it in the 45 day range.

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Sisophous »

Sam wrote:
I have this call sheet from the Luther Gillis:File#521 episode dated Tuesday Aug 16 1983.Assuming filming finished at the end of the week,about the 20th, and a air date of Oct 6th that puts it in the 45 day range.
Wow, thanks Sam, how did you ever get that? That range seems very short but perhaps it is an accurate gauge of all the episodes from finished production to air dates. I recall some made for television shows that had months between the finished product to the time it actually aired on television but it seems Magnum P.I. went on air soon after production.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#9 Post by J.J. Walters »

Thanks Sam. I forgot about those call sheets. 45 days, give or take, seems about right. By all accounts, the Magnum crew worked their tails off, with long hours at a fast pace. Throw in all of the outdoor, on-location filming that they did, it's pretty amazing how fast they were able to film and release episodes for airing.