Blu-Ray?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Lt Tanaka
Vice Admiral

Blu-Ray?

#1 Post by Lt Tanaka »

Anyone know of any plans to release the series on Blu-Ray? I've upgraded from DVD an it's like a whole new world.

zebra3
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by zebra3 »

Maybe in like 5 years. The difference on a show that old will be small.
"Burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me."

Lt Tanaka
Vice Admiral

#3 Post by Lt Tanaka »

zebra3 wrote:Maybe in like 5 years. The difference on a show that old will be small.
Nope. Quite the opposite. It's in those old shows that Blu-Ray really shows it's power. Cleaned up hi-def prints look like they were made yesterday. You see things you never noticed before.

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

I would love to see a blu-ray collector's edition with bonuses of deleted scenes, blooper reels, and most of all some commentary from TS himself.

Tanaka, what do your regular MPI dvds look like on your blu-ray player? I am thinking of getting one to stream Netflix, but I was also considering just getting a Roku box since I already have a couple of DVD players and the Roku box takes up less space.

grundle
Admiral

#5 Post by grundle »

Lt Tanaka wrote:
zebra3 wrote:Maybe in like 5 years. The difference on a show that old will be small.
Nope. Quite the opposite. It's in those old shows that Blu-Ray really shows it's power. Cleaned up hi-def prints look like they were made yesterday. You see things you never noticed before.

Right - because Magnum was shot on film, which has far higher resolution than more recent shows that were shot on videotape.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#6 Post by Styles Bitchley »

grundle wrote:
Lt Tanaka wrote:

Right - because Magnum was shot on film, which has far higher resolution than more recent shows that were shot on videotape.
Interesting. Didn't know that.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

wwmd
Vice Admiral

#7 Post by wwmd »

I wonder if they have the original film saved. It seems like the DVD releases are just cleaned up versions of the old video masters.

--Sammy
ImageImageWhat would Magnum do?ImageImage

Lt Tanaka
Vice Admiral

#8 Post by Lt Tanaka »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:Tanaka, what do your regular MPI dvds look like on your blu-ray player?
The double sided ones don't play on it.

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Magnum T. »

If the original materials have been stored properly...
If Universal wants to invest the money...
If people with the necessary "know-how" make a proper restoration/remastering...
If a good HD encoding of the materials is done...

then

the show could look better on BD.

Otherwise, HD enhances the flaws.
"Zeus, Apollo, get out of my Ferrari!"
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"