Magnum P.I. "best of" DVD release June 14, 2011

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

grundle
Admiral

Magnum P.I. "best of" DVD release June 14, 2011

#1 Post by grundle »

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Site-N ... -80s/15198

Site News - Universal's 'Best of the 80s' Line Brings Budget DVDs to A-Team, Magnum, Knight Rider, Vice

Each show represented in a 2-disc set for $14.98 SRP each

Posted by David Lambert

4/01/2011

Universal Studios Home Entertainment has this morning announced a new line-up of 2-DVD "best-of" sets each featuring 7 to 10 television episodes of classic programs from the Reagan era. "The Best of the 80s" line, debuting on June 14th, includes releases for The A-Team, Miami Vice, Knight Rider and Magnum, P.I. Each of these will be priced to sell at just $14.98 per title. Here are the breakdowns of known information:

* The A-Team - Best of the 80s: 382 minutes for 7 episodes (one with guest star Hulk Hogan). Full-screen video, English mono audio, and English subtitles.

* Miami Vice - Best of the 80s: 484 minutes for 8 episodes (including the series premiere and the finale; also mentioned were guest stars Julia Roberts, Ving Rhames and Jimmy Smits). Full-screen video, English stereo audio, and English subtitles.

* Knight Rider - Best of the 80s: 477 minutes; episode information not currently available. Full-screen video, English stereo audio, and English subtitles.

* Magnum, P.I. - Best of the 80s: 464 minutes for 10 episodes (including the series premiere and finale). Full-screen video, English mono audio, and English subtitles.

The studio has not distributed package art yet for these 4 titles, but stay tuned.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

Super! Thanks grundle.

This could be a great starter set for people who are not familiar with the show. I wonder what the ten episodes will be? If I had to pick a 10-episode "Best Of" set, I'd go with something like this:

China Doll
J. Digger Doyle
Memories Are Forever
Did You See the Sunrise?
Home From the Sea
Way of the Stalking Horse
Death and Taxes
Laura
Limbo
Unfinished Business

And maybe have "Birdman of Budapest" as a secret, hidden easter egg bonus! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

grundle
Admiral

#3 Post by grundle »

If they used that list, then people who aren't already familiar with the show, who see "Limbo" directly followed by "Unfinished Business," would be really confused!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#4 Post by J.J. Walters »

That's right. And then they'd have to buy The Complete Eighth Season set to find out what's going on. It's all part of my plan to increase Magnum P.I. DVD sales! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#5 Post by Shermy »

I wonder if the pilot and finale will count as four episodes? Or if they'll simply compile it by adding something from each season?

I'd probably add The Woman on the Beach for its supernatural tone, and something like Black on White or Tropical Madness for the Magnum/Higgins focus. The natural tendency is to try and include all the dramatic episodes, but I think it should be a mix of lighter fare as well.

Hopefully they won't put too much thought into the selection, though- otherwise we'd all probably have to go out and buy it. :lol:

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by steveadl »

According to the description, there's 10 episodes total which coincides with the running time. So that would mean out of the 10, 2 are for the pilot and 2 for the last episode, leaving 6 other episodes to slot in from the rest of the shows run.

If I were compiling the set, one of those would have to be a Michelle episode, or the ending episodes with TM being reunited with Lilly won't have the impact it should. Perhaps. 'Little Girl Who' would probably be most appropriate.

Maybe a light hearted and fun episode as another of the 6 like 'The Treasure of Kalaniopu'u' - also a good episode for having a lot of the recurring characters in the one episode.

I'd also like to see a Luther Gillis episode in there such as 'AAPI', though I'm sure many on MM would disagree. :lol:

I'd also have to go with 'Death & Taxes' - such a brilliant episode and shows the range the show had from light-hearted and fun to dark and serious.

'Birdman of Budapest' because it's a classic fan favourite.

'Operation Silent Night' because it's a an episode which shows the great interaction between the main characters of the show.

So for my 6 episodes, in sequence of their release dates I'd go:
'Birdman of Budapest'
'A.A.P.I.'
'Operation Silent Night'
'Death & Taxes'
'Little Girl Who'
'The Treasure of Kalaniopu'u'

Whilst I like 'Did You See The Sunrise' - there's no way they'd put another 2 parter into a box set already containing 4 episodes in that format.

Now obviously I won't be 100% correct with these, especially considering 3 of them are in a row from the season 7 run which would be a highly unlikely choice for a best of box set.

I'd say chances are they may even choose 1 episode from each of season 2-7 since they need 6. These 6 episodes are not necessarily my top 6 of the show (though I guess a few would be in there), but to me they represent a good cross section of the show, it's characters and their interactions with each other. For that reason, they would be my choice for a box set.

Let's see if any of my guesses are right once more details are released.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#7 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

All good suggestions thus far. I'd also add Paper War.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Steve »

IKnowWhatYoureThinking wrote:All good suggestions thus far. I'd also add Paper War.
Indeed!!!! Paper War is a must...............(IMHO)

grundle
Admiral

#9 Post by grundle »

Shermy wrote:I wonder if the pilot and finale will count as four episodes? Or if they'll simply compile it by adding something from each season?

I'd probably add The Woman on the Beach for its supernatural tone, and something like Black on White or Tropical Madness for the Magnum/Higgins focus. The natural tendency is to try and include all the dramatic episodes, but I think it should be a mix of lighter fare as well.

Hopefully they won't put too much thought into the selection, though- otherwise we'd all probably have to go out and buy it. :lol:

I'd certainly include The Woman on the Beach, where Judith Chapman plays a woman in the 1980s who likes to dress up as a woman from the 1940s. It's one my very favorites.

On the other hand, I also like the Black Orchid, where Judith Chapman plays... a woman in the 1980s who likes to dress up as a woman from the 1940s.

It's too bad they didn't continue this trend in the other 6 seasons. It would have been pretty awesome.

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by steveadl »

Steve wrote:
IKnowWhatYoureThinking wrote:All good suggestions thus far. I'd also add Paper War.
Ooooooo good one! 'Paper War' would be a better light hearted and fun episode inclusion over 'The Treasure of Kalaniopu'u'.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Steve »

steveadl wrote:
Steve wrote:
Ooooooo good one! 'Paper War' would be a better light hearted and fun episode inclusion over 'The Treasure of Kalaniopu'u'.
And don't forget this is the episode that introduced the Higgins/Robin Masters question................

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#12 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I think the producer of these greatest hits DVD's should have consulted Magnum Mania for a Top Ten Episodes before releasing the DVD set :D

grundle
Admiral

#13 Post by grundle »

I think these 10 would make a good "best of":

No Need To Know
Skin Deep
J. Digger Doyle
The Woman On The Beach
Mad Buck Gibson
The Jororo Kill
Italian Ice
Black On White
Faith And Begorrah
Home From The Sea

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#14 Post by ConchRepublican »

Hmmm . . . it sounds so easy until you stop and really thinking about it.

I agree with the idea that too many two parters couldn't be included, and I think I would actually not include Resolutions.

Don't Eat the Snow in Hawai'i
China Doll
J. Digger Doyle
The Jororo Kill
Did You See the Sunrise?
Home From the Sea
Paper War
Death and Taxes

And it kills me not to include Limbo, Black on White, Memories are Forever, The Way of the Stalking Horse, the Woman on the Beach . . . but I think those 8 (two 2-parters) best represent snapshots of the series.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#15 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Nice list. You are leaving out great episodes no matter which ten you include. I think anybody could watch a top ten comprised of any of the top 25 episodes and be hooked!