Buying a Rolex or Chronosport

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#61 Post by Styles Bitchley »

brunoffrance wrote:Finally wondering if the TM rolex were a real one or only a replica for the TV.... Spending so much money for a watch you don't see details .... why not a replica as I'm sure there was some in the 80's....
I'm fairly certain it was genuine. I seem to remember a forum member saying that he actually knew whose possession it is in today (but wanted to keep it secret).

Remember, counterfeit watches were far less common in the 80s than they are today and possessing one is actually illegal in most countries!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#62 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Styles Bitchley wrote:For those looking for a reason not to buy a Rolex, I just got a bill for a full cleaning and inspection on my Submariner. My son inadvertently opened the crown before I went swimming in the ocean a few weeks ago so I had to get the moisture out before any damage was done.

I'll tell you, for a guy whose bank account looks more like Thomas' than Robin's, a 1,000 Swiss Franc repair bill is like a punch in the gut!
Next time, please get in touch with me.

I have a good watchmaker handy, who services all my watches for a fraction of that price. And he's in Switzerland ;)

Regarding the screen used watch: I can safely say, that it has been a real Rolex. Not only knowing who owns the screen seen prop, I can see from the screen caps, that it's not a fake. 100%!

Styles Bitchley

#63 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Bondtoys.de wrote:
I have a good watchmaker handy, who services all my watches for a fraction of that price. And he's in Switzerland ;)
Ahhhh. Now you tell me!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#64 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

...and who was the one, who did not ask? ;)

Radaen
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#65 Post by Radaen »

I would like to warn you guys if you opt to buy watches online, avoid purchasing from new and unestablished website. I would also suggest to check the details of the seller here if it matches to their website. Also Google PR of 0 is an indication that the website should not be trusted.

Avoid making payments from Western union, or other money orders. It would still be advisable to use your credit card that has 100% fraud protection. And the most important thing is NOT to buy replica watches. It is simply not worth it.

brunoffrance
Captain

#66 Post by brunoffrance »

Just discover this website wher a lot of sellers are "registered", from US , Europe .... and Taiwan.... oups;

i think there is the same version in English as the flag indicated it.

Do you think we can trust in these sellers.... as prices seems to be really interested

Bruno.
Very american 4 a french...

brunoffrance
Captain

#67 Post by brunoffrance »

I've forgotten to give you the link:

http://www.chrono24.fr/

sorry.
Very american 4 a french...

Styles Bitchley

#68 Post by Styles Bitchley »

brunoffrance wrote:I've forgotten to give you the link:

http://www.chrono24.fr/

sorry.
It looks pretty legit to me Bruno. Seems like there are various sellers who have sold before and are ranked. Looks like most are in France, so that's better than buying from someone out of the country - especially if you have an address or if it's a bricks-and-mortar store.

- J.Q.H.

Brian
Fleet Admiral

#69 Post by Brian »

I bought one of these several months ago and I was very surprised how well made it was and quite close to the real thing.

http://www.jessicareplicas.com/product. ... &Product=2
Sneakers Higgins!!

Thomas_Magnum
Commander

#70 Post by Thomas_Magnum »

This is the closest I can find to a Chronosport Sea Quartz 30. What do you guys/gals think??? It has the 12-6-9 numbers, tick marked bezel with pretty close 10, 20, 30, etc., day/date (but in white...grrr), general shape isnt bad...

http://www.onlinescuba.com/Aquacraft-PR ... 0C124.aspx
...and that, as they say, is the hell of it.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#71 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

coming back to Rolex:

I have been searching up and down for a mid 80s 1675 GMT Master, but realized, that I am searching to the impossible.

The 1675 has been disconinued around 1980 and has been replaced by the 16750 (different movement with quickset date).

The reason, why I have been avoiding the 16750 was, that i thought, that this one has a Sapphire crystal only and the glossy dial with the whitegold markers.

I realize now, that that mod earlier had the matte dial and the plexi crystal.

So, if you want a Magnum accurate model, look for a 16750 around 8 million serial.

More info:
http://gmtmasterhistory.com/gmt-master_ref_16750.html

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#72 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

P.S. passed on this one:

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.p ... ight=16750

Hope to get a better one in the next days ;)

Styles Bitchley

#73 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Bondtoys.de wrote:coming back to Rolex:

I have been searching up and down for a mid 80s 1675 GMT Master, but realized, that I am searching to the impossible.

The 1675 has been disconinued around 1980 and has been replaced by the 16750 (different movement with quickset date).

The reason, why I have been avoiding the 16750 was, that i thought, that this one has a Sapphire crystal only and the glossy dial with the whitegold markers.

I realize now, that that mod earlier had the matte dial and the plexi crystal.

So, if you want a Magnum accurate model, look for a 16750 around 8 million serial.

More info:
http://gmtmasterhistory.com/gmt-master_ref_16750.html
I'm a bit confused. You're saying that the Magnum GMT is actually a 16750 (i.e., more similar to the current model with the flush sapphire crystal) but it has the protruding plexi crystal?

- J.Q.H.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#74 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

no, mate.

the 16750 first came with the plexi crystal and the matte dial and has been later transitioned to the sapphire crystal model with the white gold surroundings around the hour markers and the glossy dial.

Both wear the ref. 16750 and that's the GMT Master, that has been available from 1981-1988, the plexi model has been produced until 1986

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#75 Post by J.J. Walters »

Is this a 1675 or a 16750?

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!