Buying a Rolex or Chronosport

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Raykv423
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Buying a Rolex or Chronosport

#421 Post by Raykv423 »

Nikita70 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:56 pm Read the first line carefully, I did not suggest you yourself forgot. It was a generalization.
In no way am I trying to be condescending or rude. Just gave my two cents.
In my opinion, an Apple Watch would not be a choice for anyone who gets into danger such as Magnum. You’re in a dark place, house, warehouse, in the bushes or wherever, either being hunted or you are the hunter. You get a text or call, screen flashes on. Not a good thing.
There's a reason why I refuse to get a smartwatch (Garmin is the exception though I'll rather treat it as an ordinary watch). If I wanna call or text, I can obviously use my cell phone for it. I probably won't be moonlighting as an PI LOL but yeah. Also adding that smartwatches aren't durable and rugged (there are rugged smartwatch cases though) and I get conflicting reports of their water resistance (sources say they're water resistance to 50 meters and others say they're not water resistant at all and could easily get damaged by it).

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#422 Post by Nikita70 »

I have several friends who have Apple Watches. I will never get one. I wouldn’t wear it if you gave it to me. I don’t need or want to be connected 24/7. I intentionally leave my phone in my truck sometimes because I don’t want to get any notifications or calls. I wear an old school watch. That’s how I roll. Everyone else can do as they please.

Raykv423
Lieutenant Commander

#423 Post by Raykv423 »

Nikita70 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:44 am I have several friends who have Apple Watches. I will never get one. I wouldn’t wear it if you gave it to me. I don’t need or want to be connected 24/7. I intentionally leave my phone in my truck sometimes because I don’t want to get any notifications or calls. I wear an old school watch. That’s how I roll. Everyone else can do as they please.
Right there with you, brother.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#424 Post by Pahonu »

Raykv423 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:56 am
Nikita70 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:56 pm Read the first line carefully, I did not suggest you yourself forgot. It was a generalization.
In no way am I trying to be condescending or rude. Just gave my two cents.
In my opinion, an Apple Watch would not be a choice for anyone who gets into danger such as Magnum. You’re in a dark place, house, warehouse, in the bushes or wherever, either being hunted or you are the hunter. You get a text or call, screen flashes on. Not a good thing.
There's a reason why I refuse to get a smartwatch (Garmin is the exception though I'll rather treat it as an ordinary watch). If I wanna call or text, I can obviously use my cell phone for it. I probably won't be moonlighting as an PI LOL but yeah. Also adding that smartwatches aren't durable and rugged (there are rugged smartwatch cases though) and I get conflicting reports of their water resistance (sources say they're water resistance to 50 meters and others say they're not water resistant at all and could easily get damaged by it).
My wife is involved in Masters Swimming and wears a smartwatch in the pool all the time, for practices and competitions. At age 50, she uses it to keep track of her heart rate. That’s actually why she bought it. She’s used it for over a year with no problems. Of course, that’s not at any great depth like diving, though we do still snorkel and it’s been fine for that too, maybe 15-20 feet. I wear an automatic diver myself, and have no interest in one, but they do have other purposes beyond being constantly connected.

Also, I was happy to read your comment in the Hawaii Five-O thread about newly hearing McGarrett’s voice. :D

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#425 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Lots of positive feedback about what Momentum has done with the Sea Quartz 30 tribute. Now let's see how NOT to do a Sea Quartz tribute...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=XmgagDPy7A8

Careful you don't buy one by mistake.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.