Buying a Rolex or Chronosport

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

502-to-right
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Buying a Rolex or Chronosport

#361 Post by 502-to-right »

While the Rolex GMT Pepsi ship has sailed, I will be getting a Momentum/Chronosport Sea Quartz 30 when they open again for pre-order. I've signed up for their updates so I won't miss it. And then I will once again have a "Magnum Watch."

To The Regiment
Vice Admiral

#362 Post by To The Regiment »

eagle wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:40 pm
To The Regiment wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:12 pm Absolutely fascinating. Great to see an original Chronosport on a vintage Tropic Strap.
Definitely! I have an original Chronosport, but it is not on a vintage Tropic Strap. It's on a 1.5-year-old Tropic strap. :magnum:
I just upgraded my new Momentum Sea Quartz 30 to a Tropic Strap®. Momentum's version of the tropic strap isn't bad at all. I just wasn't a fan of the quick-change spring bars. But the Tropic Strap® is definitely higher quality. Compared side by side, you can see it in the little details down to the vanilla scent.

Cheers!
To The Regiment

To The Regiment
Vice Admiral

#363 Post by To The Regiment »

502-to-right wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 5:19 pm While the Rolex GMT Pepsi ship has sailed, I will be getting a Momentum/Chronosport Sea Quartz 30 when they open again for pre-order. I've signed up for their updates so I won't miss it. And then I will once again have a "Magnum Watch."
I've had the Momentum Sea Quartz 30 for over a week now. I absolutely love it. Very comfortable on the wrist, keeps better time than my automatic watches (Rolex Datejust, Seiko Willard X, Squale Militaire) and looks great. It's now my daily driver. You won't regret getting it.

Cheers!
To The Regiment

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#364 Post by eagle »

To The Regiment wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 5:50 pm I just upgraded my new Momentum Sea Quartz 30 to a Tropic Strap®. Momentum's version of the tropic strap isn't bad at all. I just wasn't a fan of the quick-change spring bars. But the Tropic Strap® is definitely higher quality. Compared side by side, you can see it in the little details down to the vanilla scent.

Post pics! :magnum: :magnum:

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#365 Post by eagle »

I was checking out the Tudor website, and found that Tudor now has a Pan Am style GMT watch ... which has now been added to my wishlist. I had been wanting a Tudor Pepsi GMT, and now I can have a Pan Am style version of that!

To The Regiment
Vice Admiral

#366 Post by To The Regiment »

eagle wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 1:04 am
To The Regiment wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 5:50 pm I just upgraded my new Momentum Sea Quartz 30 to a Tropic Strap®. Momentum's version of the tropic strap isn't bad at all. I just wasn't a fan of the quick-change spring bars. But the Tropic Strap® is definitely higher quality. Compared side by side, you can see it in the little details down to the vanilla scent.

I would, but I don't see a way to upload them here.

Cheers!
To The Regiment

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#367 Post by ConchRepublican »

To The Regiment wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:14 am
eagle wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 1:04 am

I would, but I don't see a way to upload them here.

Cheers!
To The Regiment
You should be able to post pictures by sharing a link from a photo hosting site.

As MikeS described on another thread ...

You will need to use an image hosting site, upload your pics to the site, and then insert the link using BBCode inside your post.

If you right-click any image above you will see they are hosted at imgur - https://i.imgur.com/BRO3Wvv.jpg

Use the Insert Image button within the editor and put the link between the tags:
CODE: SELECT ALL

Hit Preview in the editor to see how your post looks... Submit when happy with the results :)
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

502-to-right
Lieutenant Commander

#368 Post by 502-to-right »

So I think most people know the Rolex GMT was introduced in the Season 4 Ep 1 Home From the Sea. But in the second episode of season 4, Luther Gillis File #521, Magnum is wearing the Chronosport for the first half of the episode. And in the second half he's wearing the Rolex.

I wonder if they shot some of the episodes/scenes out of order. Obviously Magnum can switch watches all he wants, but it seemed odd he didn't wear the same watch throughout an episode.

Does anyone know if the Chronosport makes any more appearances in the show? I'm about 4 episodes into the 4th season and it's been all Rolex since Luther Gillis #521.

(And as an update, my urge to repurchase the Rolex GMT Pepsi has subsided. I'm perfectly happy with my Tudor Black Bay 58 blue. The dive/timing bezel is more functional for me than the GMT function, it has better water resistance, it's 20 years newer in construction, and I feel more comfortable wearing it given it's lesser value. Plus it looks awesome.)

To The Regiment
Vice Admiral

#369 Post by To The Regiment »

Question for you horological sleuths: Did TC also wear a Chronosport Sea Quartz 30 in some episodes?

Someone commented on the Momentum Watch site:
"Did you know that Theodore Calvin (TC) also wore the same watch? Season 12, Episode 12 "Thicker Than Blood." About 4:50 in...while he's checking another character's eyes."

I haven't gone back to watch that episode, so I'm not sure. If so, could it be that they "borrowed" TM's for the shot?

Cheers!
To The Regiment

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#370 Post by eagle »

To The Regiment wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:24 pm Question for you horological sleuths: Did TC also wear a Chronosport Sea Quartz 30 in some episodes?

Someone commented on the Momentum Watch site:
"Did you know that Theodore Calvin (TC) also wore the same watch? Season 12, Episode 12 "Thicker Than Blood." About 4:50 in...while he's checking another character's eyes."

I haven't gone back to watch that episode, so I'm not sure. If so, could it be that they "borrowed" TM's for the shot?
Took me a minute to figure out it was Season 1, Episode 12. Anyway, yes, it does look a lot like a Chronosport - nice catch!

502-to-right
Lieutenant Commander

#371 Post by 502-to-right »

If anyone is interested, Momentum will be doing another pre-sale for the Sea Quartz 30 on June 21, 2023. I plan to get one.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#372 Post by 308GUY »

502-to-right wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:53 pm If anyone is interested, Momentum will be doing another pre-sale for the Sea Quartz 30 on June 21, 2023. I plan to get one.
You won't be sorry.....really like mine! 8)
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#373 Post by Nikita70 »

I’ll be ordering mine Wednesday. By all accounts it’s a solid piece for the money. I’ll have to have the black tropic strap but will get the bracelet as well.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#374 Post by eagle »

I got a new watch yesterday. It's not a Rolex Pepsi GMT, but I did the best I could... The GMT hand is set to Honolulu time. :magnum:

I mostly got this to track my exercise and to be able to go on walks without taking a phone -- I'll just take the Apple Watch and AirPods now.

I will still prefer my Steinhart and Chronosport to this. :magnum:

To The Regiment
Vice Admiral

#375 Post by To The Regiment »

eagle wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:07 pm I got a new watch yesterday. It's not a Rolex Pepsi GMT, but I did the best I could... The GMT hand is set to Honolulu time. :magnum:

I mostly got this to track my exercise and to be able to go on walks without taking a phone -- I'll just take the Apple Watch and AirPods now.

I will still prefer my Steinhart and Chronosport to this. :magnum:

Ahh...cool!

Ready for the next batch of the Momentum Sea Quartz 30? On sale tomorrow morning, June 21 at 10:00 am PDT. I'm betting they'll sell out quickly again.

Cheers!
To The Regiment