Buying a Rolex or Chronosport

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

Re: Buying a Rolex or Chronosport

#406 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I've heard that in some episodes you can spot a Seiko pepsi bezel on his wrist, but I have yet to pick those shots out.

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#407 Post by Nikita70 »

One I know of and it’s been mentioned here. The watch is definitely a Seiko and it’s on his wrist backwards.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#408 Post by Styles Bitchley »

IKnowWhatYoureThinking wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:02 pm I've heard that in some episodes you can spot a Seiko pepsi bezel on his wrist, but I have yet to pick those shots out.
Yes, we've looked into these sightings on this thread (in response to this misleading Hodinkee article) and determined that these are shots that were done after main filming took place. Clearly, they needed shots of things where you didn't need to have Selleck and the main cast on the set (a hand opening a drawer, hot wiring a car, etc.). They just used some guy with hands like Selleck and threw that Seiko quartz with Pepsi bezel (ref 7548-700F) on his wrist for these close ups...never imagining some weirdos in the future would be freeze framing these shots to identify the exact model of watch! Nothing wrong with the old Seiko divers, from my perspective. They're awesome and in a weird way are Magnum approved - although not really a Magnum watch.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#409 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:10 pm
IKnowWhatYoureThinking wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:02 pm I've heard that in some episodes you can spot a Seiko pepsi bezel on his wrist, but I have yet to pick those shots out.
Yes, we've looked into these sightings on this thread (in response to this misleading Hodinkee article) and determined that these are shots that were done after main filming took place. Clearly, they needed shots of things where you didn't need to have Selleck and the main cast on the set (a hand opening a drawer, hot wiring a car, etc.). They just used some guy with hands like Selleck and threw that Seiko quartz with Pepsi bezel (ref 7548-700F) on his wrist for these close ups...never imagining some weirdos in the future would be freeze framing these shots to identify the exact model of watch! Nothing wrong with the old Seiko divers, from my perspective. They're awesome and in a weird way are Magnum approved - although not really a Magnum watch.
Nice work! I'm not sure how I missed that original post. Seiko does make a fine watch, and I have a Seiko diver in my collection.

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#410 Post by Nikita70 »

My opinion is a Seiko diver would have fit Magnum perfectly as many Vietnam soldiers had one. Not that it matters but that’s always been my opinion.
I have a Seiko diver I like a lot. The biggest problem with Seiko is that they’re affordable.

Styles Bitchley

#411 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Nikita70 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:15 am My opinion is a Seiko diver would have fit Magnum perfectly as many Vietnam soldiers had one. Not that it matters but that’s always been my opinion.
I have a Seiko diver I like a lot. The biggest problem with Seiko is that they’re affordable.
:D :lol:
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#412 Post by eagle »

I skipped Seiko because early on I was completely anti-quartz. At one point I decided I wanted a beater, so I got a Mathey-Tissot GMT (batman), and at this point I have a few quartz watches. I should get a Seiko -- they do have some nice diver watches... and, I agree -- they would work well for Magnum's character.

Styles Bitchley

#413 Post by Styles Bitchley »

eagle wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:15 pm I skipped Seiko because early on I was completely anti-quartz. At one point I decided I wanted a beater, so I got a Mathey-Tissot GMT (batman), and at this point I have a few quartz watches. I should get a Seiko -- they do have some nice diver watches... and, I agree -- they would work well for Magnum's character.
There are only a few Seiko divers that are Quartz. Most have really solid automatic movements. My SRP 777 (Turtle) has the 4r36 movement, which is hacking and you can hand wind it if you want too. It is insanely accurate after a good four years on my wrist - and I bought it used!

- J.Q.H.

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#414 Post by Nikita70 »

I just got my first Seiko diver and it’s a turtle same as yours. Mine is the SRP05 with the green grenade dial. Love the fit and finish of it. By varying dial up or crown up when taken off for the night it keeps very good. Anyone who likes divers needs at least one Seiko in their collection. They’re so affordable I have to exercise self control, I don’t want to end up with a 50 watch collection where most never get worn.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#415 Post by eagle »

Got an email yesterday saying that my watch will be shipped out this week or next. It's getting closer!

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#416 Post by 308GUY »

eagle wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:27 pm Got an email yesterday saying that my watch will be shipped out this week or next. It's getting closer!
Well worth the wait! And you get a shirt in the deal too....right? :o :lol: :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#417 Post by eagle »

Yes, I picked a red shirt - forgot about that! :D :magnum:

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#418 Post by 308GUY »

eagle wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:28 pm Yes, I picked a red shirt - forgot about that! :D :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#419 Post by Nikita70 »

Let us know your thoughts once you get it. It’s cool you’re getting a shirt too. I really like the jubilee but because of TM it looks slightly better on the Tropic. Just slightly. I’m a bracelet guy so I tend to prefer the look and feel of a bracelet on my watch but I learned I like rubber when I bought my Seiko turtle. So until I get a longer Tropic strap it’ll stay on the jubilee but I must say the quick change spring bars are pretty nice.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#420 Post by eagle »

I now have a tracking number -- getting closer! :magnum: :magnum: :magnum: