Buying a Rolex or Chronosport

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

Re: Buying a Rolex or Chronosport

#391 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Merona wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:39 pm My Steinhart Ocean 39 GMT arrived earlier today, I sized the bracelet a few hours ago. My initial impressions are highly positive. It's really comfortable to wear and the look is tremendous. I opted for the aluminium bezel because I usually like that look more than the glossier appearance of a ceramic bezel, and because slight fading over time has its charm imo.

I was curious to see what the colors would look like. They're exactly as I'd hoped for! The modern Rolex Pepsi GMT's, which only come with a ceramic bezel nowadays, have a darker blue and red color, but the colors of the Steinhart actually seem much more akin to the vintage GMT's from back in the day (including of course the one we saw Magnum wear). I know some people dislike wearing homage watches, which I do understand (given the astronomical prices one has to pay for a Rolex these days, I personally really don't care). However, I think the aluminium bezel and coloring add something unique to the appeal of this watch, making it more than just a cheap Rolex. Moreover, Steinharts are genuinely high quality watches - this is not an AliExpress watch.

I'll see how it performs over the next few days/weeks, but thus far I am extremely happy with this purchase! Many thanks to those here who have recommended it!
Contrats. Really nice selection and I think you nailed it with the aluminum bezel insert. Way more character.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#392 Post by eagle »

I am going to be a naysayer when it comes to the aluminum bezel. :magnum:

Here's a current closeup of my Chronosport and Steinhart. Chronosport has no band/straps because I am moving the Tropic strap back to it, but right now I'm having trouble getting the pins out to make the swap.

My Steinhart is an aluminum, and I wish it was ceramic. :) I used to play with my dog while wearing my watch, and he playfully bit my wrist several times. Scratches from his teeth are now permanently on the bezel, and I wish they weren't there. In person, the scratches can be seen literally all around the bezel; in the photo they are most observable at indices 18-20, but if you look closely you will see them all around.

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#393 Post by Aloha Friday »

think of it as patina...it has a history.
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#394 Post by Pahonu »

I agree!

To The Regiment
Vice Admiral

#395 Post by To The Regiment »

Pahonu wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:48 pmI agree!
Same here!

To The Regiment

Raykv423
Lieutenant Commander

#396 Post by Raykv423 »

Aloha Friday wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:59 pm think of it as patina...it has a history.
Agree. I personally don't mind scratches and dents on my watches. Shows character.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#397 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

eagle wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:07 pm I got a new watch yesterday. It's not a Rolex Pepsi GMT, but I did the best I could... The GMT hand is set to Honolulu time. :magnum:

I mostly got this to track my exercise and to be able to go on walks without taking a phone -- I'll just take the Apple Watch and AirPods now.

I will still prefer my Steinhart and Chronosport to this. :magnum:

I have my Apple Watch set the same. I think if TM were a 2020 version instead of 1980's he'd be sporting an Apple Watch. It is relatively inexpensive, and perfect for someone that is as active as he is.

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#398 Post by Nikita70 »

I guess if you forget his service in Vietnam, forget his Dad left him the Rolex then sure he’d wear an Apple Watch.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#399 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Nikita70 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:44 am I guess if you forget his service in Vietnam, forget his Dad left him the Rolex then sure he’d wear an Apple Watch.
No, I did not forget that. I was working under the assumption of the original show being a 2020 version. Someone that served in Desert Storm would probably be close to the age of his dad. I was saying if the show were originally written now. I don't count the guy now that isn't Magnum. I also hope that was just your way of phrasing your question instead of trying to come off as condescending.

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#400 Post by Nikita70 »

Read the first line carefully, I did not suggest you yourself forgot. It was a generalization.
In no way am I trying to be condescending or rude. Just gave my two cents.
In my opinion, an Apple Watch would not be a choice for anyone who gets into danger such as Magnum. You’re in a dark place, house, warehouse, in the bushes or wherever, either being hunted or you are the hunter. You get a text or call, screen flashes on. Not a good thing.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#401 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Nikita70 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:56 pm Read the first line carefully, I did not suggest you yourself forgot. It was a generalization.
In no way am I trying to be condescending or rude. Just gave my two cents.
In my opinion, an Apple Watch would not be a choice for anyone who gets into danger such as Magnum. You’re in a dark place, house, warehouse, in the bushes or wherever, either being hunted or you are the hunter. You get a text or call, screen flashes on. Not a good thing.
I hear you. No worries. Apologies for any misunderstandings.

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#402 Post by Nikita70 »

No worries 🤙

Styles Bitchley

#403 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Have to agree that the Apple Watch wouldn't be Magnum's watch. As already mentioned, the flashing screen and alerts are bad news for a stealthy lifestyle. The GPS capability can be problematic too, as your location can be traced (I think I remember reading that deployed soldiers can't have a watch with GPS functionality - correct me if I'm wrong). Plus, it's just missing the cool factor. I think the GMT Master had two important attributes that made it appropriate for Magnum: military connections and family sentimentality/loyalty. The truth is, because the watch selection was a bit of a flub in the show (with the GMT Master not being released until after the Korean war) it actually makes perfect sense today. A 1675 GMT master from the early 70s passed down from someone's dad who served. Unfortunately, in the reboot they used a GMT from the 90s (I can't remember clearly though) - did they try for a back story with the watch? I never watched that far.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#404 Post by eagle »

Hey Styles. I don't remember a backstory for the GMT in the reboot.

Styles Bitchley

#405 Post by Styles Bitchley »

eagle wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:06 pm Hey Styles. I don't remember a backstory for the GMT in the reboot.
Oh, and I agree with the others about the scratches on the aluminum bezel. It's character and sign of a life lived. One day in the future, your dog will be long gone and you'll look down at your wrist and hold back a tear when you see those scratches. That's life, man. ;-)

- J.Q.H.