Buying a Rolex or Chronosport

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

Re: Buying a Rolex or Chronosport

#376 Post by Nikita70 »

Another episode where Magnum wears the Chronosport then switches to the Rolex is the one with Carol Burnett. In the opening scene he is coming in from the tidal pool wearing the Chronosport, goes to the guest house where she is waiting and during that scene still has the Chronosport on. After that the next time we see him he has the Rolex on.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#377 Post by eagle »

I have this Mathey-Tissot, which I like, but I don't like the Jubilee bracelet it came on, so I moved it to this NATO strap.

I don't want to take this strap swimming, and was thinking maybe this watch should be on a Tropic strap.

What do y'all think?

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#378 Post by Pahonu »

eagle wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:56 pm I have this Mathey-Tissot, which I like, but I don't like the Jubilee bracelet it came on, so I moved it to this NATO strap.

I don't want to take this strap swimming, and was thinking maybe this watch should be on a Tropic strap.

What do y'all think?

I think it’s the appropriate kind of watch for both diving and the Tropic strap made to get wet. Go for it.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#379 Post by eagle »

Pahonu wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:45 pm I think it’s the appropriate kind of watch for both diving and the Tropic strap made to get wet. Go for it.
It's only 10ATM, but that's fine for the pool.

Pahonu

#380 Post by Pahonu »

eagle wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:09 pm
Pahonu wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:45 pm I think it’s the appropriate kind of watch for both diving and the Tropic strap made to get wet. Go for it.
It's only 10ATM, but that's fine for the pool.
That’s definitely good for swimming and snorkeling, if not diving. Plus, a tropic strap isn’t a big investment. I’ve used one on an old Seiko I’ve had since the 80’s. I think I’ve purchased two or three over the years since the original strap gave out. I also have a NATO strap for it but prefer the Tropic.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#381 Post by eagle »

I think this one looks nice on the NATO strap, and this NATO strap fits me very well. I just think I wouldn't like getting the strap wet, because it wouldn't be easy to dry. Rubber straps and stainless steel bracelets seem to me to be the winners for diving.

Pahonu

#382 Post by Pahonu »

eagle wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:05 am I think this one looks nice on the NATO strap, and this NATO strap fits me very well. I just think I wouldn't like getting the strap wet, because it wouldn't be easy to dry. Rubber straps and stainless steel bracelets seem to me to be the winners for diving.
I agree. That’s why I ditched the NATO strap and went with the Tropic on mine.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#383 Post by eagle »

I know it's heresy to remove a Tropic Strap from a Chronosport, but this morning I swapped my Tropic Strap and my Maen-brand NATO strap. I like the results here. Since I'll never take my Chronosport in the pool, I'll leave things this way until I actually buy a second Tropic Strap.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#384 Post by 308GUY »

That looks great on there!

I opted to order the metal band when Momentum offered it, as I don't particularly like having to work the pin buckle type clasp.

The metal band uses the deployment clasp, with I find easier to manage....but that tropic strap looks so good, even at the $70 price tag, I may have to get one for my Momentum.

One of the posts on here mentions that the tropic strap doesn't come "undone" which is another reason I prefer the metal deployment clasp....but if the tropic stays put....that'd be a plus for me.

Your swap looks great and is very practical since you say you wear the M/T daily and in the water.

Looking good! :magnum: :D
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#385 Post by eagle »

Thanks. Here is a pic of my current frequently-worn watches, in no particular order.

L-R: Mathey-Tissot Batman GMT; Steinhart Pepsi GMT; Chronosport SQ30; Seiko 6M25; Omega Seamaster DeVille (ca 1960-something).

The Omega was my grandfather's, and my parents recently found it and gave it to me. It is engraved as a gift to my grandfather from IBM for 25 years of service. The Omega is reserved for church, but the others are all "anywhere, anytime" -- but the Seiko and Chronosport stay away from water.

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#386 Post by Nikita70 »

Nice collection. I have a few nice ones myself.

To The Regiment
Vice Admiral

#387 Post by To The Regiment »

Here's a story about the watches Tom Selleck has worn in his various roles and in real life. Includes several Rolexes, the Chronosport, and mentions the Momentum Sea Quartz 30:

https://www.watchonista.com/articles/hi ... om-selleck

Cheers!
To The Regiment

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#388 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I may end up getting one of the Chronosport redo's eventually. I got a Tudor Black Bay 58 a few months ago and I am extremely happy with it. I don't think I'll ever have a Rolex GMT.

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#389 Post by Nikita70 »

I got a Tudor BB S & G model a few years ago. Excellent quality. I wear it more than my Rolex GMT.

Merona
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#390 Post by Merona »

My Steinhart Ocean 39 GMT arrived earlier today, I sized the bracelet a few hours ago. My initial impressions are highly positive. It's really comfortable to wear and the look is tremendous. I opted for the aluminium bezel because I usually like that look more than the glossier appearance of a ceramic bezel, and because slight fading over time has its charm imo.

I was curious to see what the colors would look like. They're exactly as I'd hoped for! The modern Rolex Pepsi GMT's, which only come with a ceramic bezel nowadays, have a darker blue and red color, but the colors of the Steinhart actually seem much more akin to the vintage GMT's from back in the day (including of course the one we saw Magnum wear). I know some people dislike wearing homage watches, which I do understand (given the astronomical prices one has to pay for a Rolex these days, I personally really don't care). However, I think the aluminium bezel and coloring add something unique to the appeal of this watch, making it more than just a cheap Rolex. Moreover, Steinharts are genuinely high quality watches - this is not an AliExpress watch.

I'll see how it performs over the next few days/weeks, but thus far I am extremely happy with this purchase! Many thanks to those here who have recommended it!