Buying a Rolex or Chronosport

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: Buying a Rolex or Chronosport

#166 Post by Pahonu »

Styles Bitchley wrote:Island Hoppers paint scheme?? I can relate to wanting a so-cal car. The salt on the roads through the winter up here rots cars to hell. Arizona cars are even better!
Sorry, it's light blue. Actually it's called dove blue metallic. You don't see a lot of that color on the road, actually.

The British guy at the show mentioned Arizona and New Mexico as good spots to find rust-free example, but I'm sure there are far fewer with so many less people there. He also said he had been to Australia and South Africa for some good examples. I remember thinking $16,000 and you have to fix it up a little and ship it back. What are people paying for these things in the UK? :shock:

By the way, I have bigger wheels and tires, and a slightly higher suspension ride than stock, so the guy first thought it was a 4WD. He told me those models, called Syncros, go for at least double! :shock: :shock: :shock: I'm glad I got mine when I did. I see a lot fewer than I did even five years ago and now I know why... they're leaving the country!

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#167 Post by perfectlykevin »

Styles Bitchley wrote:It’s not often that two Sea Quartz 30s are up on eBay (except for the ugly gold ones) but this one just came up too. https://m.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1970-s-C ... noapp=true

Interestingly it has a dial that I haven’t seen before (it doesn’t have the numerals at 6,9,12).
Good point, they are quite rare and when you want the exact model and near-enough model just doesn't do.

I've considered having Chronosport SeaQuartz dials (sans CS logo) up to fit a Seiko diver as modifications for those are plentiful and easy. Would fit the automatic SKX007 diver with the crown at 4 o'clock :)

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#168 Post by Styles Bitchley »

perfectlykevin wrote:
Styles Bitchley wrote:It’s not often that two Sea Quartz 30s are up on eBay (except for the ugly gold ones) but this one just came up too. https://m.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1970-s-C ... noapp=true

Interestingly it has a dial that I haven’t seen before (it doesn’t have the numerals at 6,9,12).
Good point, they are quite rare and when you want the exact model and near-enough model just doesn't do.

I've considered having Chronosport SeaQuartz dials (sans CS logo) up to fit a Seiko diver as modifications for those are plentiful and easy. Would fit the automatic SKX007 diver with the crown at 4 o'clock :)
It sure what you mean...find a Chronosport dial for sale and customize it to fit an SKX?
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#169 Post by perfectlykevin »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
perfectlykevin wrote:

It sure what you mean...find a Chronosport dial for sale and customize it to fit an SKX?

Oh no, I meant have a dial made to resemble the Chronosport dial, which will fit the SKX diver. Hands are pretty much covered by existing modification hands. Take a look at websites like dagaz watches or yobokies to lots of options to modify Seiko divers into other similar watches :)

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#170 Post by Nikita70 »

Tons of modifications available for the SKX. I have also read no dive watch collection is complete without one. I’ll be getting one at some point.

TSM IV
Ensign

#171 Post by TSM IV »

Greetings everyone!

Long time Magnum fan. I stumbled upon this forum researching info on Rolex Pepsi homages. A friend of mine mods / builds watches and his best sellers have always been rolex homages. I suggested that he build a Magnum watch for fans, and this is the result:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/610042114/ ... ome_feat_3

Looking for feedback, and thanks!

J

Styles Bitchley

#172 Post by Styles Bitchley »

TSM IV wrote:Greetings everyone!

Long time Magnum fan. I stumbled upon this forum researching info on Rolex Pepsi homages. A friend of mine mods / builds watches and his best sellers have always been rolex homages. I suggested that he build a Magnum watch for fans, and this is the result:

J
Fun homage. For the GMT, I'm a bigger fan of the matte dial with basic lume plots. I find the metalic surrounds and glossy black dial adds a bling factor that feels almost cheap (to me).
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

TSM IV
Ensign

#173 Post by TSM IV »

Styles Bitchley wrote:

J
Fun homage. For the GMT, I'm a bigger fan of the matte dial with basic lume plots. I find the metalic surrounds and glossy black dial adds a bling factor that feels almost cheap (to me).
Good feedback, thanks. It turned out better than I expected. As the resident Magnum fan, naturally I was a "creative consultant" :)
But he ran with it and added the Paradise Found and Tigers fabric pouch. And it resulted in yet another round of my wife and I binge watching the series.

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#174 Post by perfectlykevin »

Looks like Hernandez is keeping with the GMT tradition in his off time too. Wearing what is refered to as the Batman GMT due to the black/blue bezel combo. Reminds me more of Oreos :)

Not sure if the image link is working, swiped it from Lenkov's Instagram url.

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#175 Post by Danno »

perfectlykevin wrote:Looks like Hernandez is keeping with the GMT tradition in his off time too. Wearing what is refered to as the Batman GMT due to the black/blue bezel combo. Reminds me more of Oreos :)

Not sure if the image link is working, swiped it from Lenkov's Instagram url.
Oh yeah, I saw that too! Very nice.
There seems to be a lot of denim going on with these guys too. :lol:

Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

Styles Bitchley

#176 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Wonder how they’ll weave in the watch story into the new show. Rolexes are no longer something the average Navy Seal can afford. And either of the newer Coke or Batman GMTs we’ve seen are too new to be an inheritance. But that didn’t stop them the first time around.

- J.Q.H.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#177 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

J
Interesting business plan:

Take a US$ 75,-- Rolex Fake, slap a Magnum logo on the dial (without the Fake Rolex Logo) and sell it for US$ 400,--.
And then let a "friend" register on Magnum Mania and advertise the entire thing.

The custom dial can be had for $ 20,--, so everybody to draw their own conclusion how shamelessly overpriced that ugly thing is.

Just for your information: This entire thing has nothing to do with the 16750 that has been used in the show, it's based on a Fake of a modern GMT II C which is a completely different watch.
At least, with this fake, noone is being cheated like so many others who pay thousands of $$ assuming that they get the real deal.

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#178 Post by perfectlykevin »

Styles Bitchley wrote:Wonder how they’ll weave in the watch story into the new show. Rolexes are no longer something the average Navy Seal can afford. And either of the newer Coke or Batman GMTs we’ve seen are too new to be an inheritance. But that didn’t stop them the first time around.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing? Assuming they even give it a thought or imbue it with any meaning. I'm hoping they will in some way even if it isn't exactly like the original series. Heck, maybe it was his father's who also served in the same theater of war. From what I understand that did happen a bit in the early 2000's

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#179 Post by Danno »

perfectlykevin wrote:
Styles Bitchley wrote:Wonder how they’ll weave in the watch story into the new show. Rolexes are no longer something the average Navy Seal can afford. And either of the newer Coke or Batman GMTs we’ve seen are too new to be an inheritance. But that didn’t stop them the first time around.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing? Assuming they even give it a thought or imbue it with any meaning. I'm hoping they will in some way even if it isn't exactly like the original series. Heck, maybe it was his father's who also served in the same theater of war. From what I understand that did happen a bit in the early 2000's
He can afford it because the new Magnum is secretly Robin Masters! :wink:
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#180 Post by eagle »

I might have the timeline wrong, but didn't Magnum wear a Chronosport until the episode with his father, which reveals how he received the Rolex?