Buying a Rolex or Chronosport

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#31 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Bondtoys.de wrote:That and the fact, that the plexi crystal scratches pretty easily brought me to buy the GMT Master II in 1984, even I was aware, that TM had the other model.
I think one of the reasons I prefer the earlier model with the plexi crystal and lighter gauge steel bracelet is cost. I remember replacing the crystal in mine a while back and I'm fairly certain it was less than $50 (and that was done at Rolex, not a jeweler). Whatever it cost, I remember it being a quarter of what the sapphire crystal would have cost. Similar situation for the bracelet - buying a new link is surprisingly cheap on the older models like mine. Newer ones is another story.

Thought it might be worth mentioning for anyone in the market. But I still think the newer models look better - bigger, more robust.
Last edited by Styles Bitchley on Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

You have a point here. The Sapphire crystal is far more expensive, but it lasts forever unless you shatter it.

In the 27 years, since I have been wearing GMTs, I never had to replace the sapphire crystal. That can't be said about the plexi in any watch.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

P.S. This does not mean, that I am looking down on the 1675 in any regard.

If I am finding one for a reasonable price, it'll be mine ;)

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

P.P.S. I do loooooooove that one:

That's Ref. 6542. Look mat the small triangle on the 24 hrs. hand!

Additionally the bezel insert is bakelite and as far as I know, the numbers are luminescent!

Walks
Captain

#35 Post by Walks »

My baby:

1967 vintage GMT. Wear it every single day. It's due for a service, but I'm afraid to send it off.
My all-time favorite possession. I'd trade it for a 308 GTSi, but that's about it.

Styles Bitchley

#36 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Walks wrote:My baby:

1967 vintage GMT. Wear it every single day. It's due for a service, but I'm afraid to send it off.
My all-time favorite possession. I'd trade it for a 308 GTSi, but that's about it.
That's a beauty Walks! Pretty much the same well worn condition as my Sub. I love actually wearing my watch, rather than tucking it away to look at once in a while. Glad to hear you're in the same boat. :D
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

PhatCat
Admiral

#37 Post by PhatCat »

Classy, fellas! I'd take any of them if I were in the position to do so. I'll have to wait until my kids are grown. No time or extra cash for that stuff right now.

Bill

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#38 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

aaaaarghhhh, have been missing out this one:

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=167526[/img]

Styles Bitchley

#39 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Bondtoys.de wrote:aaaaarghhhh, have been missing out this one:

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=167526
That one looks to be in pretty pristine shape. Sold for only US$4350! That seems like a good price to me.

The site associated with the photo you posted further above has watches of the same vintage, but they're selling for more than $20,000 - what's up with that? http://10pastten.com/

- J.Q.H.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

I also find the price very good. And the fact, that it has been sold only some hours after it appeared there is a good indicator how good the price was.

I could kick myself, that I haven't seen it!

I'd estimate such a watch with US$ 5500 - 7000,-- and the dial seems to be the original and in perfect shape.

The ones, which go for 20k are the older ones with the bakelite bezel and the smaller GMT hand.

Styles Bitchley

#41 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Bondtoys.de wrote:I also find the price very good. And the fact, that it has been sold only some hours after it appeared there is a good indicator how good the price was.

I could kick myself, that I haven't seen it!

I'd estimate such a watch with US$ 5500 - 7000,-- and the dial seems to be the original and in perfect shape.

The ones, which go for 20k are the older ones with the bakelite bezel and the smaller GMT hand.
But even the Submariners and Sea Dwellers are going for 20K-25K. I'm assuming they're somehow unusual/rare, but it isn't clear what sets them apart. This "bakelite bezel" makes it a collectable?

Interesting that Tiffany's used to sell Rolexs with with their own logo stamped on the face. I've never seen that before.

- J.Q.H.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

It's all in supply and demand.

A friend of mine collects COMEX SeaDwellers and Submariners. There is a famous diving-company called COMEX and they have outfitted their personel with Rolexes with the company logo on the dial.

The watches are basically the same like the regular Seadwellers and Seadwellers, but the COMEX watches are much more expensive because they are so rare. You'll get 5-10 regular Seadwellers for the price of 1 COMEX watch.

The most expensive Submariner is a military version with unusual hands and fixed bars for the strap.

Besides this no difference to the civil version which sells much cheaper.

Another example: Rolex where writing the Submariner wording in red at some time and these watches command much higher prices because collectors are crazy about them. The crazyness goes on to the point, that depth rates in meters/feet are more rare than feet/meters. The more people desperately want something, the higher the price is.

Technically, recent Rolexes are much better done than the older ones - same with oldtimer cars.

I guess, all these market mechanisms are the same as which separate a regular Paradise Found shirt from a screen used one ;)[/img]

Styles Bitchley

#43 Post by Styles Bitchley »

That military submariner has a pretty awesome old-timer style to it. I can see Higgins wearing something like that in the jungles of Borneo.

Incidentally, my Sub is one of the "red" ones. But I'm not certain it adds much to the value. Could be wrong though.

- J.Q.H.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

the red Submariners are definitely more worth than the regular ones!

And if you have a red COMEX Submariner, you'll have the blue Mauritius!!

Keep it well and let me know, if you are selling it ;)

Styles Bitchley

#45 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Nothing fancy like the COMEX. As for selling it, it's my baby. I'd feel naked without her!

- J.Q.H.