Buying a Rolex or Chronosport

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

Re: Rolex by mail...

#16 Post by Styles Bitchley »

brunoffrance wrote:On ebay, if the seller goes away and close his account , you can't be refunded
I would think that if you bought from someone on ebay who has sold hundreds of items and has 100% (or near that) positive feedback, the odds are pretty good that you will get what you're expecting.

Am I wrong to think so?
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Sorry if I sound a bit paranoid.

Problem is, that even a near 100% feedback with 100s of sold items don't give you absolute safety. It's always to minimize the risk, you can't root it out completely.

Some seller accounts even with high volumes can be hijacked, and there are cases where fraudulent sellers reached high sales volumes with .99$ articles before they are starting their catch.

I don't want to condemn ebay in general, but you can't be too careful.

A personal pickup is, what I prefer. Even, if I can't pick up in person, it's always interesting to hear the seller's reaction when I am asking for it ;)

brunoffrance
Captain

Re: Rolex by mail...

#18 Post by brunoffrance »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
brunoffrance wrote:On ebay, if the seller goes away and close his account , you can't be refunded
I would think that if you bought from someone on ebay who has sold hundreds of items and has 100% (or near that) positive feedback, the odds are pretty good that you will get what you're expecting.

Am I wrong to think so?
Even if you pay on ebay with paypal, with a 100% good feedback guy,and he sends you a fake rolex and you discover the joke, you can't be refunded... why ?

Because to be refunded, you have to return your fake watch in paying the shipping and you have no guaranty to have your money back as , now, on paypal , you can refuse to have your money blocked when there is a dispute....

Knowing that, the seller get back your watch, shipping paid by you and keep the money.... For this range of price , the deal is great and he can close his account to open another one with a new name.....

Now, If you have his adress.....
Very american 4 a french...

Lt Tanaka
Vice Admiral

#19 Post by Lt Tanaka »

That's not true. I've been a seller on ebay for ten years and eveything is heavily weighted towards the buyer. Sellers can't even leave negative feedback no matter how crazy a buyer is. I've been burned a few times by people claiming not to have received items. Ebay / Paypal automatically refunds the money to them from my account when they make the claim and unless I can provide evidence of arrival (impossible for regular airmail) they keep the money and the item.
I use EMS with a tracking number for high priced or rare stuff but it's not worth it for small items.
Also if you pay via Paypal via credit card that payment is the same as any other and is insured by the credit card company.

Styles Bitchley

#20 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Regarding the GMT Master itself, we know that it appears out of the blue in Home from the Sea and that the Chronosport is never seen again (except I think in one other episode in season 4...I think I remember someone discovering that - I guess it was actually filmed before Home from the Sea). Does anybody know if this was product placement? Creating this sentimental moment that really sums up the prestige of owning an expensive timepiece seems like something dreamt up by marketers. Either way, having it profiled in such a way on such a popular program must have been a boon for Rolex. But if they paid, it would have probably cost a mint!

Many of you are probably already familiar with this Patek Philippe ad campaign that captures the sentiment:

"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Rolex is well known for not paying for product placements.
This has been valid for the Bond franchise and many other movie projects, where their watches where shown.

My guess is, that the storywriters decided to show a bit more about TM's roots and because of this, they have developed an according storyline.

As far as I recall, there is no real screen capture, where you can see clearly the Rolex logo, however for those who know, it's easily to identify as a GMT Master.

brunoffrance
Captain

#22 Post by brunoffrance »

Lt Tanaka wrote:That's not true. I've been a seller on ebay for ten years and eveything is heavily weighted towards the buyer. Sellers can't even leave negative feedback no matter how crazy a buyer is. I've been burned a few times by people claiming not to have received items. Ebay / Paypal automatically refunds the money to them from my account when they make the claim and unless I can provide evidence of arrival (impossible for regular airmail) they keep the money and the item.
I use EMS with a tracking number for high priced or rare stuff but it's not worth it for small items.
Also if you pay via Paypal via credit card that payment is the same as any other and is insured by the credit card company.
I've been on ebay since 1998 and rules have changed recently with paypal... see their new rules and you'll learn that you can object the blocking money when there is a dispute !
before that , sure, as soon as a complaint was made, the transaction money was "securised" on Paypal account and no more on the seller 's one until the transaction was OK ... but now , it's no more available if the seller decides the new rule...

after that you do what you want and take the risk in not considering my advice... don't say later you didn't know....

For my own, I'll not buy a Rolex on Ebay, paying with paypal....

only looking
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by only looking »

Bondtoys.de wrote:Rolex is well known for not paying for product placements.
This has been valid for the Bond franchise and many other movie projects, where their watches where shown.

My guess is, that the storywriters decided to show a bit more about TM's roots and because of this, they have developed an according storyline.

As far as I recall, there is no real screen capture, where you can see clearly the Rolex logo, however for those who know, it's easily to identify as a GMT Master.
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... ight=rolex Here's a screen cap that shows the Rolex brand. I love how Tom Selleck has carried that watch and still wears it on several other shows he has been on.
It made me do it Higgins!!!

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

thanks, only looking,

I stand corrected ;)

As far as I know, the production used watch is not in his possession -

However I have seen him with a GMT on his wrist pretty often

Styles Bitchley

#25 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Bondtoys.de wrote:As far as I know, the production used watch is not in his possession
What makes you say that? Have you heard where the production watch ended up?

As far as the exact model (I know this is posted elsewhere), is the one worn in the show is from the early '80s? As far as i can tell, it has the plexi glass crystal. Is it also early enough that you have to wind the hours through a 24hour cycle to advance the date? (An annoying feature of my late 1960s Sub).

- J.Q.H.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

I am not able to disclose details, but the current owner of the watch reads here regularly. That's all I can say.

Regarding the date setting feature: I am not absolutely sure about the early 80's GMT Master but I think, that you are right about the missing quickset function for the date.

That and the fact, that the plexi crystal scratches pretty easily brought me to buy the GMT Master II in 1984, even I was aware, that TM had the other model.

I am presently wearing it with the complete black bezel insert and sometimes put the Pepsi version on, when I am wearing my Paradise Found Shirts

Styles Bitchley

#27 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Bondtoys.de wrote:I am not able to disclose details, but the current owner of the watch reads here regularly. That's all I can say.
Gotta love a mystery!

But like so many of the set pieces, they must have had a few in case one was lost or broken, no? That'd be pretty cool to have the actual one used in the show. Probably more practical than having the Ferrari and having it sit in a garage somewhere. But even if I saw it for sale, I'd never believe it was the real McCoy.

- J.Q.H.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#28 Post by J.J. Walters »

Here's another rare closeup shot of the Rolex GMT Master (from Season Seven's "Out of Sync"):

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Styles Bitchley

#29 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Sure is a beauty. An understated symbol of both power and leisure.

- J.Q.H.

brunoffrance
Captain

Great capture !

#30 Post by brunoffrance »

Not easy to see the "pepsi" in action.... I've begun to see the 7th season now and no way to see the watch to say : it's the 1675 Rolex !
Is there some one who knows if it's his own watch or an " accessory" given to TM, for the serie ?

Always "waiting " mine.... hummm searching mine....