Magnum Jungle Bird Shirt! Help!

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

hendrix
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Magnum Jungle Bird Shirt! Help!

#1 Post by hendrix »

Hey everyone I just bought a Jungle Bird shirt that was used on the seires. I have been looking but have not matched it up and was wondering if anyone could help? Any help would be great. Thanks

Can't load pics please see link!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... MEWAX%3AIT

[/img][/url]

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

Looks like the red "Jungle Bird" hawaiian shirt to me!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Jake
Rear Admiral

#3 Post by Jake »

Star Wares has a nice looking website and seems kinda legitimate, however I dont see anything that shows how the items are authenticated (except their word). I dont think I would ever buy a shirt that was claimed to be screen used without more proof than a COA which could be worthless. You would think Star Wares (if they are as good as they claim to be) could match the unique print on the shirt to specific screen grabs from the show. If I ran an auction house I would make the effort to do so, not only for my reputation but also to try and increase the interest in the item and get a higher selling price. I hope your able to find these images to prove you bought a great item as I sure would hate to hear of another MPI fan being scammed by an ebay fake.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

I can't comment on the Magnum p.i. shirt.

He has a James Bond item also to sell:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Halle-Berry-Die-Ano ... 356wt_1047

These keycards are well known in the Bond community and are 99,99% certainly fakes.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#5 Post by J.J. Walters »

Oops! I didn't understand your question correctly, and didn't look at the item carefully enough! I thought you were just asking if the shirt (the print) was just the "Jungle Bird" shirt, not the one actually worn by Selleck in the show!

I have no idea if that is one of the ones worn by Selleck! As others have pointed out, there is virtually no way to tell that for sure! The ones that claim to be are more than likely fake! I wouldn't lay down that kind of money unless Selleck himself vouched for it.

nha trang
Vice Admiral

Jungle bird sleuthing

#6 Post by nha trang »

Maybe I should quit my day job and move to hawaii as a private investigator. I looked at your ebay ad, and noticed the tag says "paradise found." I went to google and googled it and they have a website:

http://www.paradisefoundhawaiianshirts.com/

On the landing page it has a picture of magnum in his jungle bird shirt, and it says, "The original Magnum PI- Jungle Bird Shirt was donated to The Smithsonian's National Museum of American History. It is better known as the "Jungle Bird Shirt." Made famous by "Tom Selleck" in the 1980's Hawaiian detective television series, Magnum PI. This Jungle Bird Hawaiian Aloha Shirt is made out of 100% Imported cotton. It is available in red and black. Please click on the Tom Selleck picture to order."

Sorry if I sounded glib, if I paid that much I would immediately do more checking and possibly contact ebay/paypal/visa etc (maybe after discussing with the seller?) regarding possible FRAUD.

Good luck to you my friend, and I suppose the above info doesn't necessarily mean you're shirt isn't authentic.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Well, as the series ran for 8 years and the red jungle birds shirt pretty much often showed up on the show, one can safely say, that there has been more than one shirt being involved.

The Smithsonian shows one shirt of that kind, but not the only one.
A clue may be the fact, that another one is in the Hard Rock cafe in Honolulu:

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/2010 ... shirt.html

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by steveadl »

There would definitely have been more than one shirt used in the wardrobe over the 8 years.

The question to me is more, how exactly you supposed to know the guy selling it on eBay for $1200 is legit? Because he prints out a certificate of authenticity on his computer and signs it? That would make me nervous.

What's to stop me from taking the shirt I bought last year, throwing it around in the backyard for a bit to make it look older and 'used' then sell it on eBay as an authentic prop? Same thing that happened a while back when an eBay seller listed 'Higgins Reading Glasses' for how many hundreds $$? :shock:

Buyer definitely beware on eBay!

mathewj
Lieutenant

Official Jungle Bird Shop (?)

#9 Post by mathewj »

Hi Guys,

This site has most of the Hawaiian shirts I've ever seen Thomas Magnum wearing.

A non-magnum fan colleague recently travelled to Hawaii, and to my amazement came back wearing a red Jungle bird shirt!

Obviously I enquired and discovered two interesting things:

A) She knew I was a Magnum fan and brought that particular shirt and wore it to work to get a 'rise' from me!

and

B)The shop name and website: http://www.hawaiianshirtsinc.com/menscatalog.html

If you haven't already stumbled across this site -Have fun browsing, don't spend too much money!

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#10 Post by N1095A »

J.J. Walters wrote:... I wouldn't lay down that kind of money unless Selleck himself vouched for it.
I wouldn't even if he did, while sitting down to brunch with me at the K.K.C. with Roger, John, and Larry there to back him up.

Seriously though, I doubt Selleck could even confirm it's authenticity. The pattern repeats itself too many times on the shirt, and TM wore the Jungle bird shirt too many times to try and do a visual comparison as we did with the camo SEAL cap.

I can definately tell you the shirt in the photos is not the one TM is wearing in the photo the seller provided. Look at the amounts of red between the bird graphics in the photos.

I have to say dropping that kind of cash based on a C.O.A. with no other way to confirm it is definately not a good idea.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Duckalohafriday
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Question regarding Jungle Bird shirt

#11 Post by Duckalohafriday »

Hello,
I stumbled upon this site, recently registered, and this is my first post. I'm a Magnum PI fanatic and have loved the show for years. I purchased a jungle bird shirt that was worn on the series and have it framed in our home. It was purchased from the Hard Rock in Las Vegas and I have (3) different COA's including photos. The front of the shirt has been sewn/tapered at the bottom (which supposedly) he had done to all his shirts, and their were T.S. initials written on the label w/ back marker.
I hope this helps the gentleman who purchased his in determining if its a real or fake. Can anyone comment as to how often people come across these authentic shirts that are for sale?
Thanks
DAF

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#12 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Pretty unusual for an authentic shirt used on the show to come up for sale, it seems. Someone a while back contacted James about selling an obscure pair of shorts used on the show. I don't remember hearing if they sold or not...
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by steveadl »

Welcome aboard DAF! Very cool to have an authentic screen worn shirt - any chance you have a photo on your computer?

Duckalohafriday
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#14 Post by Duckalohafriday »

Yes, I will post pictures of the shirt. Just need to figure out how to do it

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#15 Post by J.J. Walters »