Tom Selleck Chopper Crash in the 80's?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

James77
Ensign

Tom Selleck Chopper Crash in the 80's?

#1 Post by James77 »

Hi,

First time on here.

When I did a pilgrimage to Hawaii in 2000 I saw some footage of the Island Hoppers chopper losing control and then crashing. A strongly built Hawaiian pulled an unconscious Tom Selleck out of the wreckage. It looked a genuine accident.

Strangely enough I cannot find this anywhere on the net and was wondering does anybody else know about or have seen this incident? Or was it part of a show?

Jamey

robspace54
Vice Admiral

#2 Post by robspace54 »

Robert Van Der Kar (cameraman) was killed in 1980 during a helicopter shot for the series. The episode was "Skin Deep" and the bird went into the ocean.

From the espisode guide of M-mania:

During the filming of this episode, in a low-flying aerial sequence, a Hughes 369D (N58243) helicopter crashed into the ocean, tragically killing camera technician Robert Van Der Kar (and injuring the pilot Robert Sanders). The official NTSB report finds the cause as pilot error, a misjudgement in altitude (i.e. the chopper was flying too low). The NTSB suspended Robert Sanders' license for 90 days.
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by KENJI »

There was another time when there was a crash, but it was after the show had ended. I believe there were a few Hawaiians that helped the pilot out. I think the footage was on Youtube (it has been awhile since I've seen it).
Tom Selleck wasn't involved in this crash.

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Magnum T. »

Hi James, welcome aboard.
"Zeus, Apollo, get out of my Ferrari!"
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#5 Post by J.J. Walters »

It wasn't Selleck. It was Magnum P.I. aerial coordinator and stunt pilot Steve Kux. The crash occurred just a few weeks after the series finale in 1988. Steve recovered from the crash, but lost the use of his left arm.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

James77
Ensign

#6 Post by James77 »

Thanks everyone for your responses and for clearing this up.

I must have had a few drinks that night as it looked like Tom to me. The Hawaiian dude/s looked seriously strong. I couldn't find any footage online, one link to the incident is no longer active.