Magnum's Boat Shoes

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Kifaru
Lieutenant

Magnum's Boat Shoes

#1 Post by Kifaru »

As far as I know, TM used three different kinds of boat shoes during the show.

Boat Shoes # 1, from "Ki'I's Don't Lie"

Boat Shoes # 1, seen again in "Flashback"

These were primarily used during the early seasons and the last episode I can recall seeing them in is season five's "Mac's Back". They are also the only ones I can make a positive ID on. They are Sperry Top-Siders, and I think the particular model is called "Sea Mate". As it is Sperry recently made a limited re-issue of this shoe for their 75 anniversary. They are available at L.L. Bean for $44.

http://www.llbean.com/llbeansignature/l ... at4=505905

Boat Shoes # 2, seen here in episode "Compulsion"

This second pair is probably TM's most frequently used shoes. Brand and model are unknown to me. There is no external branding from what I can tell.

Although I'm not 100% sure, it's probable that "boat shoes # 2" are Sperry Top-Siders. The material either-way seems to be rough-side-out leather or suede. As part of Sperry's 75th anniversary range, a pair damn near identical to these are also available. RRP seems to be $90.

http://www.sperrytopsider.com/store/Sit ... cat90046DM

Boat Shoes # 3, taken from "Thank Heaven For Little Girls and Big Ones Too"

These brown leather boat shoes are probably the most rarely seen of the three. The only other episode I can recall seeing them in is "Going Home".
Last edited by Kifaru on Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.

zebra3
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by zebra3 »

I bought the Sperry off white ones and even though I was at first skeptical, I love them. They go very well with jeans and khaki shorts. If anyone really wants to buy some but is on the fence I'll post a photo of me wearing them. A lot more helpful that the pro photos online. They will cost you a bit of cash, but they are nice leather and free shipping and return shipping from zappos.com, so no worries for me. Too bad I can't wear them again until May. It's barely 60 degrees here.[/img]
"Burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me."

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Danno »

Nice research, Kifaru!

The 75th anniversary range look a bit furry?
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

zebra3
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by zebra3 »

Well there are the suede ones and the leather ones, I chose leather and don't regret it. The suedes are a great look, but not as durable. Cleaning them might be a pain. However, the 75th anniversary ones are really nice classic looks.

http://www.sperrytopsider.com/store/Sit ... cat90046DM

These are the ones I got in "Ice" The off white ones that are the 75 anniv. are more screen accurate in terms of color, but ice is close, esp. if you compare them to the ones he had in the episode with the basketball team in season 2 or 3. That and when he's about to step in the mud when looking for that client who wont pay up, though that might be the same episode. That's what I used for reference when purchasing, and I'm pretty happy with what I got. Wasn't sure at first, but wear them enough, and you'll love them.
Note that you must buy them a size down because you wont be wearing socks.

Kifaru
Lieutenant

#5 Post by Kifaru »

You're right cleaning suede is a pain, so choosing the regular leather version is probably wiser in that sense. Myself I've ordered the canvas Seamate shoes and they'll hopefully arrive within a week or so.

The brown leather boat shoes seem to be fairly unique. It appears they have only two eyelets as apposed to the regular four and also some kind of ripple sole. I haven't seen anything quite like them.

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Danno »

I remember my dad used to have a pair like Magnum's off white boat shoes.

They looked exactly like Selleck's- with that shade of grey/green to the white. I asked him about them today- they were Sperry Top-Siders. He bought in California in 1978 back when they were made in the USA. They lasted up until recently when the soles started to wear thin and he took them to be resoled- but the shoe repairer stuffed them up by not lining them properly. :evil:

Not bad- 30 years for a pair of shoes! :D
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Sam »

Hi Kifaru,

I think you are correct on Boat Shoe 2 being the Sperry Topsider.
Boat shoe 3 appears to have a higher profile and a different sole.I wonder if it's the Timberland brand that Jeff MacKay mentioned on an old MPI board.

If anyone is looking for the Topsider Ice,I found them online for 63 bucks plus free shipping.
http://www.zappos.com/sperry-top-sider- ... iginal-ice

Mac
The brand he wore is Timberland. There are others today that are as comfortable, but at the time, they were the best. Mac
Feb 18 2001, 8:43 pm

Tidewater
Lieutenant Junior Grade

2nd the timberland

#8 Post by Tidewater »

while in HS during the Magnum early years, Sperry's where popular and the Timberland's somewhat. the Timberland's a had a vibram semi lug sole that held dirt/mud bad, while the Sperry's had a slick type sole that only had showing grip when the sole was bent. Magnum gear was much in vogue in HS, everyone had a "divers wallet", including most male teachers! could go down the list of Magnum apparel we all tried to acquire back then. God, i had multiple pairs of the RayBan black rimed shooters back then.

i wore a many a pair of the tan Sperry's with 3 eyelets out in the 80s, they held up well! my dad has a pair of the white 2 eyelets and the newer 3 eyelet type Sperry's now. they are both 10+ years old.

zebra3
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by zebra3 »

Sam wrote:Hi Kifaru,

I think you are correct on Boat Shoe 2 being the Sperry Topsider.
Boat shoe 3 appears to have a higher profile and a different sole.I wonder if it's the Timberland brand that Jeff MacKay mentioned on an old MPI board.

If anyone is looking for the Topsider Ice,I found them online for 63 bucks plus free shipping.
http://www.zappos.com/sperry-top-sider- ... iginal-ice

I bought 'em, I love 'em, I wish I could wear them in the cold. Five more months!

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Sam »

Hi Zebra,

Over the years I've owned many,many pairs of the "Sperry Topsiders" but come Tuesday I'll be Topsidersless. I quit wearing them as an everyday shoe about 10 years ago and they saw duty as yard shoes.Well they've finally seen the end..

The ice pair still look serviceable but the tops have now separated from the sole in the toe area.

The brown pair are actually a combo of..right shoe was oatmeal colored,the left..some kinda brown but I don't recall which brown.Both of these shoes have a fifty cent piece size hole in the sole...

The season is over now so I'll need to order some for this spring.

zebra3
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by zebra3 »

Those are some gnarly shoes. Time to get another pair, is you plan to keep wearing them. Guess it depends, if you want a pair of shoes to just beat on, maybe something cheaper.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Sam »

As gnarly looking as they are,I'd wear them if they didn't have the holes.
I think I'll order an oatmeal color shoe for out and about and buy a cheap pair of something for the yard.

zebra3
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by zebra3 »

the new ones look the exact same except the logo on the bottom is slightly different.

Kifaru
Lieutenant

#14 Post by Kifaru »

There's a vintage 70s/80s pair of the exact canvas Sperry boat shoes TM used on the bay right now. Made in USA and apparently unused, can't be many of them still left around. Unfortunately for me they're not in my size, someone else might be interested though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sperry-Top-Sider-2- ... 500wt_1156

Jelly Doughnuts
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Magnum's Boat Shoes

#15 Post by Jelly Doughnuts »

Kifaru wrote: Boat Shoes # 1, from "Ki'I's Don't Lie"
Boat shoes... *shudders* probably the only thing TM wore that I disliked but anyway... are those legs shaved? waxed even? :o
"When I write my book on being a first class private investigator, Rule Number 168 is going to be: If you're getting chased, you should be in a fast car....
Postscript to Rule 168: No matter how fast your car is, there can always be one that's faster!"