Team Ring

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#61 Post by steveadl »

Quite a funky design! :D

timm525
Lieutenant Commander

#62 Post by timm525 »

Hi gang!

Thanks for the pics of all the beautiful rings you all have. I'm jealous to be sure.

I have a silly question that has me puzzled. I see some of you have a cross that is "skinny" while others have a cross that is "fatter".

I saw somewhere that Larry had one on that was "skinny" (maybe the one on ebay a while back or else where).

My question to you all is what did the guys wear on the show? Was the ring cross "skinny" or "fat" (for lack of a better term)? Or did the rings change throughout the seasons?

Thanks!

Tim

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

Re: Spoted this ring on Ebay

#63 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Sebastian Sabre wrote:I thought this was an interesting spin on the ring, has anyone bought one of these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/CROSS-LORRAINE-SILV ... 3356591095
That is indeed a cool spin on the ring. Seems like something that would appear in a contemporary Magnum remake.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#64 Post by perfectlykevin »

timm525 wrote:Hi gang!

Thanks for the pics of all the beautiful rings you all have. I'm jealous to be sure.

I have a silly question that has me puzzled. I see some of you have a cross that is "skinny" while others have a cross that is "fatter".

I saw somewhere that Larry had one on that was "skinny" (maybe the one on ebay a while back or else where).

My question to you all is what did the guys wear on the show? Was the ring cross "skinny" or "fat" (for lack of a better term)? Or did the rings change throughout the seasons?

Thanks!

Tim
I know the ring did change over the seasons, but not a heck of alot. Robbie's site shows the best examples and he can speak better as to what changes were made. I do know that the cross was always the thicker variety though. :)

Hope this helps!
Kev

Rocknrobbie
Lieutenant Commander

#65 Post by Rocknrobbie »

perfectlykevin wrote:
timm525 wrote:Hi gang!

Thanks!

Tim
I know the ring did change over the seasons, but not a heck of alot. Robbie's site shows the best examples and he can speak better as to what changes were made. I do know that the cross was always the thicker variety though. :)

Hope this helps!
Kev
Thanks Kevin

I do know after extensive research that the rings and the cross on the rings changed from season to season I have seen myself 6 different versions of the ring that was actually screen used on the show the cross was the basic double design but all 6 were different in shape design and size, it is real interesting why they had so many different rings over the 8 years, I am going to try to contact Don Bellisario so I can get the facts right from the man himself I am so curious about why he came up with the design and also why there was so many different rings, I do know that each Jeweler will make there own design of the ring the guy that made the first couple designs was killed and hey had to get other jewelers to make them.

By the way I am putting the final touches on the belt buckle it will not be done by christmas though I tried just to much on my plate at this time, also if anyone would be interested I am going to produce the first Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii ring in an alloy and I am going to be able to sell it real reasonable let me know if you are interested.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#66 Post by J.J. Walters »

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

only looking
Fleet Admiral

#67 Post by only looking »

Curious to see the buckle and the price..shoot me a email and maybe Sara can buy me on for Christmas...LOL Also curious as the Dont eat the yellow snow ring design looks like, I'm pretty sure the ring I bought from you (that was from the tv mold) was used in the later seasons if I am correct?

[I do know after extensive research that the rings and the cross on the rings changed from season to season I have seen myself 6 different versions of the ring that was actually screen used on the show the cross was the basic double design but all 6 were different in shape design and size, it is real interesting why they had so many different rings over the 8 years, I am going to try to contact Don Bellisario so I can get the facts right from the man himself I am so curious about why he came up with the design and also why there was so many different rings, I do know that each Jeweler will make there own design of the ring the guy that made the first couple designs was killed and hey had to get other jewelers to make them.

By the way I am putting the final touches on the belt buckle it will not be done by christmas though I tried just to much on my plate at this time, also if anyone would be interested I am going to produce the first Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii ring in an alloy and I am going to be able to sell it real reasonable let me know if you are interested.[/quote]
It made me do it Higgins!!!

timm525
Lieutenant Commander

#68 Post by timm525 »

Thanks to all for the info!

ThomasMagnum
Admiral

#69 Post by ThomasMagnum »

Steve,

I'm also looking at getting the team ring done by my jeweller.

Since you've now had it for some time, is there anything else you can add?

I'm just going to show my jeweler a few screenshots from the show and some other shots from A Lighter Side plus the info you provided.

Mahalo

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#70 Post by steveadl »

The ring is great, couldn't be more happy with it. Not very helpful am I? No problems or things I'd change to be honest, very pleased.

Waterbug Blue
Fleet Admiral

#71 Post by Waterbug Blue »

Am having one made myself too, for daily wear... Although most of the book is boloney, I decided to go with the Bowdler description and have a 14 ct. gold/ onyx ring topped with the cross. I gave the goldsmith the ring, an image if the lighter side ring, and the graphics also used in this avatar. He really came up with a reasonable enough looking cross that he hand sawed from 14 ct. gold plating, only the cross bars were a bit too fat. He then slimmed them down - only that in the process, a little bit of the stone chipped off. So he has now ordered a new stone... well, I should be able to present a result in a couple of weeks or so. Of course, there won't be the curved bezel, and there won't be any enamel ... but I deemed it quite fitting to actually have a ring MADE ... ;)
Last edited by Waterbug Blue on Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#72 Post by steveadl »

Nice one Waterbug! Post a pic when you get it.

Waterbug Blue
Fleet Admiral

#73 Post by Waterbug Blue »

I sure will.

Waterbug Blue
Fleet Admiral

#74 Post by Waterbug Blue »

The first draft looked lie this:

Waterbug Blue
Fleet Admiral

#75 Post by Waterbug Blue »

However, I considered the bars too fat and had it slimmed down a teenie bit ... a shadow of what it will be is this one:

(Does anyone remember that A-HA video with people turning into comic book characters and back again??)