Magnum P.I. Theme Song (LP Version)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Magnum P.I. Theme Song (LP Version)

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

http://magnum-mania.com/Audio/Theme_Son ... rsion.html

Three minutes and 19 seconds long, with a great sax bridge. Featuring guitar great Larry Carlton. Released in 1982 and found only on the Mike Post Television Theme Songs LP!

Enjoy! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

robspace54
Vice Admiral

#2 Post by robspace54 »

Fantastico! The past 31 hours have been a bit hair-raising for me, and it's really great to hear Mike Post's creation in this long version. Something I can bug my car poolers with! :-)

Rob
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#3 Post by ConchRepublican »

I've had this for years . . . sorry I didn't share. I thought everyone had it!

I think this is the same as the .45 I owned back in the day as well.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#4 Post by golfmobile »

Conch,

I'm with you. I've had the album since 1982, but since I never play my LPs any more (who does???), I haven't played it recently to find out it's different from what we usually hear. Of course, my album is probably pretty worn (I played it a lot back then -- it also has "The Greatest American Hero" song on it, and I just about wore that one out), so I'm sure the version James found is probably in better "condition."

golf
"Portside, buddy."

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#5 Post by golfmobile »

Conch,

I'm with you. I've had the album since 1982, but since I never play my LPs any more (who does???), I haven't played it recently to find out it's different from what we usually hear. Of course, my album is probably pretty worn (I played it a lot back then -- it also has "The Greatest American Hero" song on it, and I just about wore that one out), so I'm sure the version James found is probably in better "condition."

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Jeffrey
Vice Admiral

#6 Post by Jeffrey »

I've had this version on my computer for a couple of years already :P
TM "Rick wasn't overly enthusiastic about my plan. He thought it had some holes in it, and he was afraid they would end up in him...
I told him that was ridiculous."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#7 Post by J.J. Walters »

I'd never heard it before. I knew there was an extended "single" version of the theme that received some radio play, but I just never personally had the pleasure of hearing it. A friend of mine hooked me up with it. I think it's fantastic!

The album also features some really good extended versions of the Rockford Files and Hill Street Blues themes, both also featuring Larry Carlton on guitar.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#8 Post by Styles Bitchley »

I think the parts where the main melody is played on the keyboard makes it sound a bit goofy. The electric guitar really gives it the power it deserves.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

O-M-G
Lieutenant

#9 Post by O-M-G »

help! i am a neophyte at this computer biz...how would i download audio (the theme songs, etc.) from this site to my computer or ipod?? many thanks for any info.

zebra3
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by zebra3 »

EDIT: Just realized this was an old post revived. Yeah sorry pal, there's no way to download that one from this site, and I cant find any other sites offering it "pro bono". If you do, please PM me!

coincidental. I was just looking for this the other night after hearing it on the site but not having a download link. The sax reminds me of the powerful, appropriate music in "48 HRS"

I'm putting together a "Themes" mix tape, so to speak. So far on my want/have list is:

-Eastwood Western themes (few dollars more, good bad ugly)
-Starsky and hutch (That one's giving me real trouble, I can't find any of them)
-Magnum P.I. themes (got 'em!)
-A-Team themes (found a nice long one from season 2, ps its the one used in the credits of the a team episode found as a bonus on MPI season 2.)
-Knight rider (got it!)

PS looking forward to the dark blue season finale tonight. 2 hours!

wow my signature is eerie.
"Burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me."

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#11 Post by ConchRepublican »

zebra3 wrote:EDIT: Just realized this was an old post revived. Yeah sorry pal, there's no way to download that one from this site, and I cant find any other sites offering it "pro bono". If you do, please PM me!

coincidental. I was just looking for this the other night after hearing it on the site but not having a download link. The sax reminds me of the powerful, appropriate music in "48 HRS"

I'm putting together a "Themes" mix tape, so to speak. So far on my want/have list is:

-Eastwood Western themes (few dollars more, good bad ugly)
-Starsky and hutch (That one's giving me real trouble, I can't find any of them)
-Magnum P.I. themes (got 'em!)
-A-Team themes (found a nice long one from season 2, ps its the one used in the credits of the a team episode found as a bonus on MPI season 2.)
-Knight rider (got it!)

PS looking forward to the dark blue season finale tonight. 2 hours!

wow my signature is eerie.
You need to add The Rockford Files, CHiPs and at least S.W.A.T. to that list. (Trust me on S.W.A.T., you'll love the Love Unlimited Orchestra groove thing they got going on)
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

zebra3
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by zebra3 »

I didn't even think of SWAT. thanks. I have a few of the MPI themes available on this site, but now that I know there is a 3 minute long one, I must have it.
"Burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#13 Post by J.J. Walters »

Yeah, I didn't provide a link to the .mp3 because it's technically still available commercially.

But check your PM inbox, you might find something in there. ;)

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#14 Post by Styles Bitchley »

zebra3 wrote:wow my signature is eerie.
I agree, your signature is eerie. But it's also distracting. I find it hard to read text with that moving gif on the page. JMO.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Brian
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Brian »

I just ordered the LP of ebay and I work at a video studio and one of the services we offer is converting LP's to a digital format and CD's. Its a great process we can clean up the audio and remove all the pops.
Sneakers Higgins!!