The Estate Tidal Pool and Beach

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Thorfinn
Lieutenant Commander

The Estate Tidal Pool and Beach

#1 Post by Thorfinn »

Well folks, if you haven't had the chance to enjoy the small beach at "Robin's Nest", it is gone. Eve Anderson, the owner, had the beach dredged and all the sand dumped in the tidal pool. A fair portion of the pool is now knee deep and the channel leading out to sea which used to be 9-10 feet deep is now maybe 5. Looks like she removed the sand down to the rocks and added a few more for good measure. The pictures I took were a little after high tide. As soon as I can figure how to post the pictures, I will.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by Sam »

Hi Thor..Question for you.If the beaches are public,how is it possible for Anderson to dredge the beach? I find it odd that she would spend the money on the beach when the rest of the place is a dump.Do you know when this was done?

Here's a free photo hosting site.Once you upload your photos..copy the img and paste it to the post.

www.photobucket.com

Thorfinn
Lieutenant Commander

#3 Post by Thorfinn »

Sam wrote:Hi Thor..Question for you.If the beaches are public,how is it possible for Anderson to dredge the beach? I find it odd that she would spend the money on the beach when the rest of the place is a dump.Do you know when this was done?

Here's a free photo hosting site.Once you upload your photos..copy the img and paste it to the post.

www.photobucket.com
Great question! A little background is needed here. A while back over $42,000,000 in stimulus money was given to Hawaii. The odd thing was it was given to what we called "phantom districts". We have 2 districts here on Oahu, but the money was given to 4 districts that doesn't exist and few people know just where that money went to (most of us believe it went towards a "payback" or a "fund" of sorts...remember, Obama is from Hawaii).

Now Eve Anderson has been a lawmaker here in the past (Liberal Democrat) and is very paranoid about MPI fans continually trying to take pictures of the estate and I would assume a few fans perhaps even climbed over the walls a time or two (that's why the dogs and the plastic sheeting she always had hanging on the vegetation by the street. Can't really blame her, but at the same time, very few folks ever ventured to the tidal pool. Most times we would be the only folks there.

In early June, one of my sons brought his family over for a visit. I bought the best snorkeling equipment for them and headed for the tidal pool. When we got there, the tidal pool was filled with perhaps 60-70 kids with numerous adults as well. Turned out it was some sort of school activity and it was an all day affair. We hung around for a few minutes and left and took my family over to Bellows beach.

Can't say for sure, but the timing was such that I believe it was this incident that triggered the dredging. Yes, the State does own all the beaches, but I would imagine with Eve's political influence, she had it done by the State. Now one might ask just where the money came from since we're a basket case here with Friday furloughs for the schools and massive gov't layoffs as well as charging fees to the tourists for just about anything including going to the Pali Lookout. Perhaps that money that disappeared to those "phantom districts" was used. Who knows for certain except it was done and the beach and tidal pool as we once knew it is now gone.

So it was done sometime between early June this year and last week. Thanks for the info on the photos...when I get a chance, I get the photos uploaded.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Sam »

Thor....I sent you a PM.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Sam »

Thanks Thor...Here are the photos..comment to follow.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Steve »

Definitely more rocks were added but it does at least appear that the vegetation has been trimmed and it looks like the white tubular fence to the boat house has been replaced. Here is a photo from April 2007 at low tide...........

PhatCat
Admiral

#7 Post by PhatCat »

This is a good topic and great photos but why is it in the "other tv shows" area?

Bill

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#8 Post by J.J. Walters »

Thanks for letting us know about this, Thor. Great pictures!

Not really sure what her "beach dredging" accomplished. The "beach" is still there. I still see sand. There's just less of it, that's all. :?

Maybe it's for the annual Pug Party? Maybe they don't like too much sand?
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Thorfinn
Lieutenant Commander

#9 Post by Thorfinn »

At one time, we were able to sit on the wall and have our feet touch the sand. It was about 2 foot high as you can tell in the last picture. Anna is 6 foot tall so can see the wall is close to 5 foot high now so in my mind she took out at least 3 feet of sand. The pictures I took was just after high tide and if you look at the 4th picture, you barely can see the lava rocks making up the perimeter of the tidal pool. So basically, the shots were taken around high tide and you can see the difference in both the waterline as well as the previously mentioned wall up by the fence.

Fortunately we still have the North end of Kailua beach and the beach at Bellows to go to...gonna miss the tidal pool though.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Sam »

Hi Thor,

The thing that bothers me,if this was done to stop the MPI fans from taking pictures or worse case hopping the fence,it won't change a thing.The nuts will find a way to enter her property.Also if it was done for that reason.I'll exercise my rights.The sea wall is public property.I'll walk the entire length of the wall.The times I've been there the beach was used mainly by locals who were oblivious to the MPI connection and now don't have use of the beach.

I called an organization today and was told that she can't dredge the beach and they want me to send them the pictures. This organization has a MPI connection.Rell Sunn who appeared in an episode was a founding member.

http://surfrider.org/oahu/?page_id=3

Quigley
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#11 Post by Quigley »

Hi Thor,

Thanks for the photos! It would be a real shame if that was the case. A question though - are you sure it was dredged? You can certainly see less sand from the pictures but could this just be seasonal erosion? I don't know the local conditions in Hawaii but at the beach where I live the amount of sand between the car park and the water line changes from about 50 meters in summer to zero meters in winter due to storms and tides. This exposes normaly buried rocks (and makes great sand banks for surfing during winter :))

Having said that, if the sand level is radically different at the neighbouring place that scenario sounds unlikey. Just wondering if you're certain it was dredged? Thanks again for posting the pics!
"Higgins I can explain"

Thorfinn
Lieutenant Commander

#12 Post by Thorfinn »

Quigley wrote:Hi Thor,

Thanks for the photos! It would be a real shame if that was the case. A question though - are you sure it was dredged? You can certainly see less sand from the pictures but could this just be seasonal erosion? I don't know the local conditions in Hawaii but at the beach where I live the amount of sand between the car park and the water line changes from about 50 meters in summer to zero meters in winter due to storms and tides. This exposes normaly buried rocks (and makes great sand banks for surfing during winter :))

Having said that, if the sand level is radically different at the neighbouring place that scenario sounds unlikey. Just wondering if you're certain it was dredged? Thanks again for posting the pics!
Well, I was there with my son and his family less than a month ago and other than all those kids, the beach was just as it always been in the twenty-years I've been here. Since it happened so quickly, I can see no other way except she had it dredged. It is a shame this had to happen because it was a great place for little tykes to learn how to snorkel.

Thorfinn
Lieutenant Commander

#13 Post by Thorfinn »

Sam wrote:Hi Thor,

The thing that bothers me,if this was done to stop the MPI fans from taking pictures or worse case hopping the fence,it won't change a thing.The nuts will find a way to enter her property.Also if it was done for that reason.I'll exercise my rights.The sea wall is public property.I'll walk the entire length of the wall.The times I've been there the beach was used mainly by locals who were oblivious to the MPI connection and now don't have use of the beach.

I called an organization today and was told that she can't dredge the beach and they want me to send them the pictures. This organization has a MPI connection.Rell Sunn who appeared in an episode was a founding member.

http://surfrider.org/oahu/?page_id=3
You certainly have my permission to use to photos

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Steve »

At least she left the slab in the tidal pool as it is an icon in and of itself. I am trying to figure out from the pictures if it is closer to the property or is that just the angles of the pictures. It is sitting higher in the water at high tide than the picture at low tide so they must have lifted it up when they added sand............

Tralfaz
Admiral

#15 Post by Tralfaz »

Can't say I see the problem here, for years the sand had been building up against the wall and had filled up the path to the gate to the point where it couldn't be opened. With time wave action has moved the sand against the shore. It was much higher than it was during filming. Now it is a bit lower. In a few years it will be back. If she did nothing I think eventually her seawall would be ineffective.(If you look at Steve's picture from 2007 only 18" or so of wall remain).

Go back and look at the Pilot episode and look at the height of the sand after Magnum gets out of the water and leans against the tall seawall before cutting the gate.

I might agree that the Sand is now slightly lower than it was in 1980, in a few years it will be back again.

T
"..outasight!.." - Tyler Peabody McKinney