The most asked about question:Do you think Higgins is Robin?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Do you think Higgins is Robin Masters?

Yes!
46%
No!
54%

Total votes: 37

BobBlusoe
Commander
Location: Currently staying in the guest house at the Robin Masters Estate

The most asked about question:Do you think Higgins is Robin?

#1 Post by BobBlusoe »

Do You? I didn't before but I'm halfway through Season 6 and in some ways looking back it makes the show make more sense.

PhatCat
Admiral

#2 Post by PhatCat »

I suspect even the producers/creators never agreed nor decided if Higgins was Robin Masters. That's the fun of it. The unanswered mystery.

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by lutherhgillis »

I lean toward the idea that Higgins was indeed the brains, talent, and money behind the Robin Masters concept and that he valued his privacy to the extent that he would hire an actor to play the Robin part for the press.

Actually, even the actors and writers do not agree. There was no definitive yes or no answer to the question. Like PhatCat said, that's the fun of it...the unanswered mystery.
Who's Dot Matrix, and what has she got to do with this?

BobBlusoe
Commander

#4 Post by BobBlusoe »

Yeah, don't get me wrong. I love unanswered questions. (For the record, I loved the finale of LOST.)

But if he is it makes his character infinately more complex.

By the way, I bought an HDTV a couple months back. I have magnum being upconverted with a small crop to enable widescreen. It looks absolutely amazing! the quality is great!

erock308
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by erock308 »

I prefer to think that Robin Masters is Higgins' Pen Name and Persona for the Novels, it would only make sense to do that.... you know, out of tradition ;{)
"Don't worry, Higgins, I like your stories."

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Coops »

No.

BobBlusoe
Commander

#7 Post by BobBlusoe »

erock308 wrote:I prefer to think that Robin Masters is Higgins' Pen Name and Persona for the Novels, it would only make sense to do that.... you know, out of tradition ;{)
Yeah thats what I think they are implying. That makes more sense than to have Higgins be the elaborate lie.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#8 Post by Styles Bitchley »

I think he IS Robin Maters, but I don't believe it. Follow me?

OK, I really like the idea that he could be Robin Masters in a way that would be like the movie the Sixth Sense, where the whole time you think something's going on, but later on you realize there was something way cooler going on. So I think they got the idea later on in the series and just ignored previous instances that would have made it impossible. After all, I'm sure they never imagined a band of Magnum Maniacs reviewing all episodes on DVD in the 21st century!

There are way too many examples in earlier seasons that would disprove it: Robin calling on the phone and Higgins answering, Higgins having a conversation with Robin even when there's nobody around to eavesdrop (is he mad?), scenes of Robin (with Orson Welles' voice) dictating his writing into a tape recorder, etc.

I just choose to ignore these inconsistencies, because I like the idea! For the record, Higgins is a nutty eccentric who loves living a wealthy lifestyle but despises fame to such a degree that he'll go to great lengths to keep his true identity secret. Robin Masters is his nom de plume.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Coops »

Higgins to me lives vicariously through BOTH Magnum and Robin Masters. I think Higgins has a very vivid and active imagination. It's no secret he's very intelligent and quite creative when the need arrises. Therefore I feel part of him thinks he is Robin Masters but in reality he is not.

Thorfinn
Lieutenant Commander

Higgins was Master's scribe

#10 Post by Thorfinn »

Robin Master's was shown early on to be using a tape recorder for his books. I have always believed he then had Higgins transcribed the audio into the written word and Higgins covered this up by allegedly saying he was writing his own memoirs. And in the course of Higgins transcribing, he probably took liberties during the process. Thus when asked...he said he was Robin since he actually was writing the books, but later recanted since he realized he was being dishonest.

I also believe this idea was introduced late in the series as a ploy to stretch out the story lines a bit.

If Higgins was indeed Robin...Thomas would never have been allowed to live there free or have access to the Ferrari which drove Higgins mad with frustration.

No, Higgins was not Robin Masters in this Maghead's view.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#11 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

PhatCat wrote:I suspect even the producers/creators never agreed nor decided if Higgins was Robin Masters. That's the fun of it. The unanswered mystery.
I like this! It makes sense to me.

Donuts ensucrats
Rear Admiral

#12 Post by Donuts ensucrats »

The answer is obvious: NO

RM appears in J DIGGER DOYLE isn't?
Mare de Déu Senyor!!!!!!

Lt Tanaka
Vice Admiral

#13 Post by Lt Tanaka »

I'm with Styles. Once the concept was introduced then the answer has to be yes. Otherwise what was the point? It doesn't lead to any plot points or character development. I'd say it was probably just one of those ideas a writer came up and threw out there. It isn't explicitly stated under "Paper War" in season 7 right? Is it even hinted at by any character before then? Most ordinary people remember it as being a big part of the show. Even I was surprised to see no mentioned of it for six and a half seasons when I started buying the dvds. I even wondered had I imagined it.

As I said though I agree that Higgins was Robin but that he couldn't have been Robin.

stever
Lieutenant Commander

#14 Post by stever »

Didn't Orson Welles pass away during the series run? I thought I read someplace that the producers/writers tried to get him to appear on the show other than just using his voice? Maybe I dreamed that. LOL! Anyway I think in the early days of the show the Robin character was definitely someone else. But when Welles passed away that left the producers/writers in a bind and they came up with the Higgins as RM story.

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by MACattack »

YES
I just don't give a damn!