The Magnum Chime

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

wwmd
Vice Admiral

The Magnum Chime

#1 Post by wwmd »

Hi, guys,

I've given myself a little project, and I was hoping you all could help. I'm attempting to use a sound clip from the series that features the "Magnum Chime" -- you know, that four beat tune (badump ba baaa). The most famous example I can think of is the one in "All Thieves on Deck" and Magnum's quote of "I got him!" Right after that, the chime plays.

Anyway, long story short, I'm trying to use that short tune as the system sound for my iPhone to play when I plug it into the dock. I've managed to do it, but I had to trim the clip a little short because a guitar takes over the tune after the initial chime. I'm kind of a stickler for detail, so I'm attempting to go back through a bunch of episodes to try to find another example of the chime (one with just the four beats and no other music). I'm fairly certain such an example exists, and while I have no problem going back and watching a bunch of Magnum, I'm still a little impatient.

So, my question to you all is this:  "Can anyone name an episode that has the "Magnum Chime?"

Thanks to everyone for your help.

--Sammy

ImageImageWhat would Magnum do?ImageImage

wwmd
Vice Admiral

#2 Post by wwmd »

I thought that maybe if I posted the example I'm talking about, it might help people remember.

I'm looking for more examples of this short tune on the show. I think they often play it at the end of an episode, but I just can't remember specific ones.

Thanks!

MP3 format:

http://rapidshare.com/files/390717251/Chime.mp3

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#3 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hmm, that's a tough one wwmd! As far as I can remember, the "chime" wasn't used in all that many episodes. I believe it was only used in the later seasons, but I can't say for sure.

A slightly different version of the "chime" is used in "The People vs. Orville Wright".

http://magnum-mania.com/Audio/Walter_Pidgeon.html

I can't think of any other examples right now, but I know they are out there!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

PhatCat
Admiral

#4 Post by PhatCat »

Thanks for the mp3 of the "chime." I love that sound. It's just a tad cutoff at the end but beggars can't be choosers.

I'll have to revisit some of the episodes where it's used.

BR

wwmd
Vice Admiral

#5 Post by wwmd »

Thanks guys,

How about this? I'm pretty satisfied with the chime I have now, but I would just like that last beat to finish. All you audio/tech guys, is there a way to do this? Maybe just make it reverberate a little at the end? What do you think?

PhatCat
Admiral

#6 Post by PhatCat »

I think your best bet is to re-record it from an episode. Easier said than done. What's the best way to capture audio from the DVD's? There's got to be a way.

If we could figure which episodes have the best example (there should be many but I can't think of them right off the top of my head right now.) we could then isolate the audio and chop it into a 2 or 3 second mp3.

That would work on my nokia phone at least. iPhones might need a different audio format.

Bill

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#7 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is the best I can get:

http://magnum-mania.com/Audio/magnum_chime.mp3
http://magnum-mania.com/Audio/magnum_ch ... estral.mp3

Both are from the "I Got Him" denouement of "All Thieves on Deck".

PhatCat
Admiral

#8 Post by PhatCat »

James, you're a wonder! How did you do that? What software are you using? Those two chimes are great. Just a hair chopped at the ends but maybe that's because something else comes up right away. I'll have to pull up that episode.

If that's the best you can do, they're great!

Thanks!

Bill

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#9 Post by J.J. Walters »

You're welcome PhatCat. Yeah, as wwmd said, a guitar riff comes in immediately after the fourth note of the chime. I added a little fade out effect to the end, but it still ends a little too abruptly. It's certainly playable though.

I use the VLC media player (free, open source) for ripping audio and video. I use WavePad (freeware version) for editing/encoding audio files.

So I guess as we watch Magnum episodes in the future, keep an ear out for another instance of the "Magnum Chime"! :)

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

great thread and thanks for all the help, J.J.

My computer plays the Magnum chime every time, that I am receiving a new email. Hope, that we'll find an "un-faded" version from another episode soon :wink:

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#11 Post by ConchRepublican »

Something about this whole thread just makes me smile. :D
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

wwmd
Vice Admiral

#12 Post by wwmd »

Thanks guys,

I'm glad we're all on the case!

wwmd
Vice Admiral

#13 Post by wwmd »

Here's kind of a somber one from The Way of the Stalking Horse...

http://rapidshare.com/files/392401860/Chime2.mp3.html

PhatCat
Admiral

#14 Post by PhatCat »

I'm liking it. Somber or not.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#15 Post by golfmobile »

When I heard it, it reminded me more of the background music at the start of quite a few episodes (as I think of it), when the name of the episode and guest stars are listed, and usually just before he starts doing his narration. It'll be quick to check for that way -- check the starts of several episodes maybe around Seasons 3-5, the more light-hearted ones, not the ones that are going to be deadly serious?

golf
"Portside, buddy."