Recreating The Guest House

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

latinglory
Ensign

Re: Recreating The Guest House

#61 Post by latinglory »

Hola amigos!!!
Antes que nada les agradezco que me permitan participar de este foto !!!
En segundo lugar, les comento que quiero hacer una maqueta en escala 1/24 de la casa de huéspedes.
Ya estoy recopilando los planos y llevarlos a esa escala.
En cuanto a la información del interior de la misma, decidí re-ver todos los capítulos de la serie, y hacer cientos de capturas de pantallas de todas las escenas que muestren detalles del decorado y de cada uno de los objetos que lo integran.
No me preocupa mucho el exterior, ya que una vez hecho el interior, amoldare el tamaño y aspecto externo en consecuencia.
No quedará exactamente igual a la guardería de botes, pero lo importante es el interior,
El exterior se muestra en la serie unos segundos para que sepamos que es la casa de Magnum
Decidí la escala 1/24 ya que permite poner figuras en un tamaño aceptable, e incluso el Ferrari 308 GTS afuera.
Se que me va a llevar mucho tiempo, pero que importa ???
Si se disfruta haciéndolo !!!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#62 Post by Styles Bitchley »

latinglory wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:10 pm Hola amigos!!!
En segundo lugar, les comento que quiero hacer una maqueta en escala 1/24 de la casa de huéspedes.
En cuanto a la información del interior de la misma, decidí re-ver todos los capítulos de la serie, y hacer cientos de capturas de pantallas de todas las escenas que muestren detalles del decorado y de cada uno de los objetos que lo integran.
No me preocupa mucho el exterior, ya que una vez hecho el interior, amoldare el tamaño y aspecto externo en consecuencia.
No quedará exactamente igual a la guardería de botes, pero lo importante es el interior,
El exterior se muestra en la serie unos segundos para que sepamos que es la casa de Magnum
Decidí la escala 1/24 ya que permite poner figuras en un tamaño aceptable, e incluso el Ferrari 308 GTS afuera.
This sounds like a fun project and you will find a lot of resources here (particularly Pahonu and his detailed sketchup model). As has been noted, the guesthouse, doesn't actually make physical sense in real life, so your model may be more difficult than you think!

I would suggest posting in English (or even just a google translate version if you need to) because you will likely get more useful feedback from members.

I look forward to seeing the model.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#63 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

latinglory wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:10 pm Hola amigos!!!
Hola, amigo! Me llamo Juan El Terrible! :D Bienvenidos!

Me gusta enchiladas y chimichangas! :D

latinglory
Ensign

#64 Post by latinglory »

Hello Friends,

I tell you that a couple of years ago I started a project that I had in my head for a long time, which was to make a scale model of Robin Master's guest house, occupied by our friend Thomas Sullivan Magnum,
I was thinking of making it in 1/24 scale, but when I finished the plans I realized that it was very big, so I reduced it to a 1/35 scale,
It was a very difficult project but also a lot of fun. because it was necessary to join the interior of the house (a filming set) with the exterior (a boat house).
With several additional problems
Windows and doors that were in one of them and not in the other. and most worrying, was the front of the house, where Magnum's bedroom windows should be, overlooking the sea (with grass and trees in between).
So I had to make some changes to the exterior of the house (a boat house) but always maintaining the architectural line of it, and most importantly,
Making it habitable and according to what it would have been if it had really existed.
that's why always, absolutely always.......
The interior (film set) has priority over the exterior (a boat house).
How to solve it ??
Easy……
Modify the front of the house transforming it into a porch, as do the rest of the buildings in the Robin's nest.
It is not perfect, it has some errors, but surely both Robin Master and Magnum himself would have preferred it to the original. (jajajajaja).
Now the hardest part......
Start building it !!

I leave you a greeting.....

and forgive my bad English !!

PS: I want to upload the plans but I can't

UtahMagnumFan
Lieutenant

#65 Post by UtahMagnumFan »

It’s always been a dream of mine to recreate the guesthouse in some form or fashion. Talk about the ultimate man cave! I’ve spent a great deal of time identifying (with some success) the furniture, appliances, and props that were used to dress the guesthouse set. It’s surprising to me that more photos and information about the set haven’t come to light after all of these years. I’ve combed through Rick Romer’s blog, but there really isn’t much information about the guesthouse set. While visiting Oahu a few weeks ago, I went for a walk around the perimeter of the Hawaii Film Studio. While doing so, I couldn’t help but wonder if there’s something from the guesthouse archived away in one of the many studio buildings (there has to be something). Perhaps someday they’ll start giving studio tours and I’ll be able to grill some poor, unsuspecting tour guide about the many questions I have. At the very least, it would be amazing to set foot inside the soundstage where the Magnum sets once stood. Well, until that day comes, I’ll just have to continue my quest for guesthouse knowledge, info, and history on my own. Perhaps we should start a topic that encompasses all things guesthouse.

Let me know what you guys think,

Kelly

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#66 Post by Pahonu »

UtahMagnumFan wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:09 am It’s always been a dream of mine to recreate the guesthouse in some form or fashion. Talk about the ultimate man cave! I’ve spent a great deal of time identifying (with some success) the furniture, appliances, and props that were used to dress the guesthouse set. It’s surprising to me that more photos and information about the set haven’t come to light after all of these years. I’ve combed through Rick Romer’s blog, but there really isn’t much information about the guesthouse set. While visiting Oahu a few weeks ago, I went for a walk around the perimeter of the Hawaii Film Studio. While doing so, I couldn’t help but wonder if there’s something from the guesthouse archived away in one of the many studio buildings (there has to be something). Perhaps someday they’ll start giving studio tours and I’ll be able to grill some poor, unsuspecting tour guide about the many questions I have. At the very least, it would be amazing to set foot inside the soundstage where the Magnum sets once stood. Well, until that day comes, I’ll just have to continue my quest for guesthouse knowledge, info, and history on my own. Perhaps we should start a topic that encompasses all things guesthouse.

Let me know what you guys think,

Kelly

I don’t mean to be a total “downer”, but sound stages are working spaces for filming. Sets are built and dressed and then disassembled for films and series over and over again. They’re not warehouses for storing old sets, props, etc… Most sets are struck very quickly to make way for the next shoot. The “there has to be something” thought is almost certainly not true, sorry. :( Reusable props may be stored in some very large studio lots like those in the LA area where I worked years ago. Diamond Head Studios is not of that scale in my understanding. It’s highly unlikely that anything remains from filming there that ended over 35 years ago. Actually, most props, costumes, etc… aren’t even stored at the studios here in LA. There are instead many specialty businesses that provide those things for filming all around the area. Some specialize in cars, others in military equipment, and at least one that I know of specializes in on-screen money, which has a very interesting set of rules. How to depict millions of dollars on screen, without actually having millions of dollars, and not break felony counterfeiting laws. Most people never consider those things. Sorry again to be a bit of a downer.

UtahMagnumFan
Lieutenant

#67 Post by UtahMagnumFan »

Yes, I completely understand how soundstages and film sets operate. However, I’d be very surprised if the guesthouse set ever came down during the production of Magnum, P.I. (this would be a good question for Rick). Magnum was that studio’s bread and butter for nearly a decade. I’m certain there were other productions that took place during this period, but nothing that warranted the removal of the Magnum sets. I’m also certain there are Magnum photos, documents, and perhaps a prop or two that have been put into the studio’s archives. If they ever start giving studio tours I’ll be first in line. I was able to enter the studio’s parking lot a few years back and was blown away that I got there! I can’t imagine how I’d feel if I got into the soundstage.

Pahonu

#68 Post by Pahonu »

UtahMagnumFan wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:56 am Yes, I completely understand how soundstages and film sets operate. However, I’d be very surprised if the guesthouse set ever came down during the production of Magnum, P.I. (this would be a good question for Rick). Magnum was that studio’s bread and butter for nearly a decade. I’m certain there were other productions that took place during this period, but nothing that warranted the removal of the Magnum sets. I’m also certain there are Magnum photos, documents, and perhaps a prop or two that have been put into the studio’s archives. If they ever start giving studio tours I’ll be first in line. I was able to enter the studio’s parking lot a few years back and was blown away that I got there! I can’t imagine how I’d feel if I got into the soundstage.
During the filming of the series there were certainly permanent sets on the soundstages like the guesthouse living/kitchen space and Higgins’ den and the area outside it with the curved stair. They were used in nearly every episode. Interestingly Magnum’s bedroom was not one of them, as it was redressed a handful of times as other bedrooms on the estate. Even the living room of the main house was changed from time to time. Those sets are long gone.

There very well may be set decorations at the studio that are still being used today and not even in storage. There were several from Hawaii Five-O that then popped up on MPI that have been pointed out on the forum over the years. These are just not things closely associated with the series. I think one was a phone and another a globe. If you’re envisioning something distinctly associated with the series, as in props held by cast or wardrobe, those are almost certainly also long gone. Most were likely taken by cast and crew as memorabilia when the series ended. That’s very common. Of course one of the aloha shirts and the Detroit Tigers cap is in the Smithsonian.

Wardrobe, props, and set decorations don’t generally originate on the studio lot, but from outside companies that cater to studios. They don’t stay there after either. Only the largest Hollywood studios keep them on site, and even they often utilize outside companies. Western Costume Company in Hollywood is the largest such provider. The sets would have been built by the carpentry department at the studio.

It’s interesting to note that much of the filming in Hawaii, other than when a series is going, is not usually at the studio, but on location. The whole reason Magnum pi was set in Hawaii was to utilize the new studio built for Hawaii Five-O, which was ending. The original premise for the series was based in the LA area. When it ended, there were a few short lived series that followed. The studio doesn’t get anything like the volume of production in Hollywood or even a few other production spots like Toronto and Vancouver.

UtahMagnumFan
Lieutenant

#69 Post by UtahMagnumFan »

No, I’m definitely not looking for screen used items. You’re 100% correct in that all of that stuff is long gone; however, I do hope the majority of the screen used items still exist in private collections. I’d love to know what items Tom Selleck kept once the show wrapped.

I search for screen accurate furniture, art, props, and appliances. I’ve had great success in identifying and acquiring many of these items. So much so, that my wife is becoming concerned. I keep telling that her that the time to buy something is when you find it (American Pickers taught me that).

Thanks for your excellent information and input!

The search continues,

Kelly

Pahonu

#70 Post by Pahonu »

UtahMagnumFan wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:58 pm No, I’m definitely not looking for screen used items. You’re 100% correct in that all of that stuff is long gone; however, I do hope the majority of the screen used items still exist in private collections. I’d love to know what items Tom Selleck kept once the show wrapped.

I search for screen accurate furniture, art, props, and appliances. I’ve had great success in identifying and acquiring many of these items. So much so, that my wife is becoming concerned. I keep telling that her that the time to buy something is when you find it (American Pickers taught me that).

Thanks for your excellent information and input!

The search continues,

Kelly
That sounds like a fun time collecting something that is quite honestly a very unique and specific set of items. I don’t know of anyone on the forum here that has claimed such success! I imagine many of the crew took home keepsakes from the show. It was known before the partial season eight started that it would be the last. The previous was to have been, and I bet some items “disappeared” after it wrapped. How to find out who has what is a mystery to me.