Recreating The Guest House

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

erock308
Fleet Admiral

Re: Recreating The Guest House

#16 Post by erock308 »

"Don't worry, Higgins, I like your stories."

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by KENJI »

If you look at the Mad Buck Gibson episode you might get some ideas for the bathroom (at least one version of it).
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4ppgl4

Go to 17:38 and 33:33 on the counter.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by eagle »

erock308 wrote:Image
Very nice blueprint. Is there any chance it is available in higher resolution?

erock308
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by erock308 »

eagle wrote:
erock308 wrote:Image
Very nice blueprint. Is there any chance it is available in higher resolution?
They are available for sale at: https://www.fantasyfloorplans.com/fanta ... m-p-i.html

Does anyone know of a 3D mock up that someone has done? or at least decent software that could be used to make one?
"Don't worry, Higgins, I like your stories."

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by eagle »

erock308 wrote:Does anyone know of a 3D mock up that someone has done? or at least decent software that could be used to make one?
That would be so cool. Does Pahonu's model of the estate also include the boat house?

It would be really cool if Pahonu also modeled the Robin Masters Estate (in addition to Pahonu) and Magnum's guest house.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

eagle wrote:
erock308 wrote:Does anyone know of a 3D mock up that someone has done? or at least decent software that could be used to make one?
That would be so cool. Does Pahonu's model of the estate also include the boat house?

It would be really cool if Pahonu also modeled the Robin Masters Estate (in addition to Pahonu) and Magnum's guest house.
Hi eagle!

Yes, Pahonu's SketchUp does have the boat house. He modeled it like the real boat house, not TM's guest house.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#22 Post by Pahonu »

The upstairs enclosed space in the boat house is a little over 200 sq.ft. total. Just enough for a bathroom, which is on the property line side, and a 10 x 15 room. That's it!

I know it shatters many peoples hopes and dreams, :wink: but there isn't even close to enough room for a living room and kitchen/dining space. Just putting the stairs shown in the set would fill half of the total space. Don't shoot the messenger!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#23 Post by J.J. Walters »

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Pahonu

#24 Post by Pahonu »

Archer is the best!

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Pahonu wrote:The upstairs enclosed space in the boat house is a little over 200 sq.ft. total. Just enough for a bathroom, which is on the property line side, and a 10 x 15 room. That's it!

I know it shatters many peoples hopes and dreams, :wink: but there isn't even close to enough room for a living room and kitchen/dining space. Just putting the stairs shown in the set would fill half of the total space. Don't shoot the messenger!
Hi Pahonu,

Have you ever considered doing a separate SketchUp model of Magnum's guest house? :D

Rolie
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#26 Post by Rolie »

Wow. Back in the eighties, our house had the magnum look on the inside as the décor seemed to be a natural at the time. I've got a goofy pic of me and Maria near the rattan chair when we got married. May of 80. I'll dig it up and post it here for the fun of it. But how do I drag a photo in to this forum?

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Rolie wrote: But how do I drag a photo in to this forum?
Hi Rolie!

You have to "host" your pic somewhere... I use imgur.com but there are other free hosting sites: https://www.thebalanceeveryday.com/top- ... es-1357014

Once you've uploaded your pic to the hosting site, you can then post it on MM by selecting the "image" button...

...and past the link from your hosting site in between the img brackets

Or on imgur (and maybe other hosting sites?) they provide a link with the [img] brackets on both ends of the url already... either way will work.

nha trang
Vice Admiral

#28 Post by nha trang »

I really think it is time for a blue print/ mock up of magnums guest house to scale!

I know we have forum members who can do it!

It would be fun, i promise :magnum:

Nha trang

Michelle_Hue
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#29 Post by Michelle_Hue »

Here is the same toucan octagon that's in Magnum's guesthouse, shown in pics on the first page of this thread.
The auction for it ended back in April of this year and it sold for $38:

https://bid.auctionbymayo.com/m/lot-det ... ot/2511051

Pahonu

#30 Post by Pahonu »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
Have you ever considered doing a separate SketchUp model of Magnum's guest house? :D
Hey RG and Nha Trang, and others, really:

I did scale drawings on graph paper of the guest house set years ago, when the show was still in it's original run. I discovered very quickly:

(1) The set won't fit in the boat house space by a long shot. The living/dining/kitchen set is at least three times the size of the upstairs boat house space
(2) It has all kinds of weird gaps and bump outs that don't match the near-square shape of the boathouse
(3) If I do model it accurately as the sets are, it won't look anything like the actual boat house does outside

Just some examples:

There's no fireplace in the boat house, so it has no chimney. Where would the set's fireplace in the middle of the space, vent to?

How does the set's kitchen bump out fit into the boat house square shape? The floor plans above aren't accurate to the set in this area.

Along that same wall as the kitchen, but in the living room part of the set, there are two window, while the boat house has just one.

What's in the space between the set bathroom and main living space? It's not the closet like the floor plans above. The closet backs up to the fireplace wall of the living room.

The bathroom in the floor plans above is way larger than the set, to fill that area I just mentioned, but it's not accurate. It shows the bathroom almost the size of the bedroom.

On the set, look at the height of the floor above the closet at the stairs. That floor level steps out onto the lanai which is supposedly over the bedroom. Is the bedroom ceiling height just 7 feet?

The set bedroom windows on either side of the bed are right where the big garage-like doors of the boat house are. Where are those doors in the guest house.

The floor plans deviate significantly from the actual set to fit it into the square shape. In the actual boat house, the lanai is about two-thirds of the total upstairs space. The floor plans above have it reversed.

Bottom line, I did the pencil drawings and they don't work in 2D. I really don't want to draw them again in SketchUp where they will never work in 3D. Sorry guys. Every time I answer questions like this I feel like I'm shattering a bunch of peoples dreams. :( :( :(