Recreating The Guest House

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

eagle
Fleet Admiral

Re: Recreating The Guest House

#46 Post by eagle »

Are there similar drawings of the rest of the estate, be they real or set? If so, I could really see printing this out on a plotter, and doing this!

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#47 Post by Pahonu »

eagle wrote:Are there similar drawings of the rest of the estate, be they real or set? If so, I could really see printing this out on a plotter, and doing this!
I don't know which page it's on in the Pahonu thread, but I created a link to my Sketchup 3D model of Pahonu as well as 2D plans. They are of the actual home and not the sets. I have plotted prints of the floor plans. They don't show furniture or rugs, etc... like the guest house plans. I'd guess you should start looking either side of page 150 for the link. I know it's near the top of the page.

Strife
Ensign

#48 Post by Strife »

K Hale wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:49 am Look what somebody in one of my kitsch furniture groups on Facebook found: A chair that looks to me almost exactly like the ones in the guesthouse... for ten bucks!

Any idea what u call this kinda chair or where I can get one? Dying for this!! Thanks

Pahonu

#49 Post by Pahonu »

Strife wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:30 pm
K Hale wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:49 am Look what somebody in one of my kitsch furniture groups on Facebook found: A chair that looks to me almost exactly like the ones in the guesthouse... for ten bucks!

Any idea what u call this kinda chair or where I can get one? Dying for this!! Thanks
I believe it’s called a peacock chair. Good luck!

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#50 Post by 308GUY »

"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Canada Jones
Lieutenant

#51 Post by Canada Jones »

Has anyone ever found the shelf with the hidden fridge in the kitchen?
thanks
Canada

To The Regiment
Vice Admiral

#52 Post by To The Regiment »

Canada Jones wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:42 am Has anyone ever found the shelf with the hidden fridge in the kitchen?
thanks
Canada
I'm not sure, but we need to get these chaps motivated. I'm also a member of the Club Obi Wan forum, and it's fascinating how many Indiana Jones costume and prop details those guys have tracked down.

Best,
To The Regiment

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#53 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Canada Jones wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:42 am Has anyone ever found the shelf with the hidden fridge in the kitchen?
thanks
Canada
Isn't it just a standard deep bookcase with a fridge sitting on a shelf? I'm having trouble picturing it...
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Pahonu

#54 Post by Pahonu »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 2:20 pm
thanks
Canada
Isn't it just a standard deep bookcase with a fridge sitting on a shelf? I'm having trouble picturing it...
It has a pair of exterior doors that are not glass, so I expect it’s not a barrister bookcase or bookcase of any kind. Even very deep bookcases are often less than 18 inches deep, usually more like 12 inches. That’s not much depth for even a small fridge. That wall appears to be a buffet-type cabinet in the middle, with the taller cabinets on either side. It seems like custom work to me. It doesn’t appear to be standard US cabinet sizes like the area with the sink and range on the end.

Styles Bitchley

#55 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Yeah, not exactly something you'd be likely to find anywhere off the shelf. Looks like something custom or something you'd find in a hotel room. (This is Season 1 vs Season 5, btw)

"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Pahonu

#56 Post by Pahonu »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 2:37 pm Yeah, not exactly something you'd be likely to find anywhere off the shelf. Looks like something custom or something you'd find in a hotel room. (This is Season 1 vs Season 5, btw)

It does look a bit like something you might see in a hotel room. My guess is that the set construction crew modified several pieces of furniture, fitting them together to create the kitchen wall. That’s as opposed to building it all from scratch.

This is off the current topic a bit, but since you posted the photos...

The first photo shows one of the problems with the guesthouse set actually being able to be in the real boathouse. In the first photo the floor above the closet door can be seen to be just inches above it. That floor level leads out to the lanai. That’s a standard 80 inch high door, yet just ten feet away is the door to the bedroom, which is supposed to be under the lanai. Somehow the bedroom has a typical ceiling but the closet ceiling would be just inches above a very tall Selleck’s head.

To ruin the illusion even more :( there’s likely just a platform outside the front door of the guesthouse set, and it probably looks down into bedroom set.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#57 Post by eagle »

You won't ever ruin it for me, Pahonu. The boat house is the guest house as far as I am concerned. How's that for suspension of disbelief? :magnum:

Pahonu

#58 Post by Pahonu »

eagle wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:52 pm You won't ever ruin it for me, Pahonu. The boat house is the guest house as far as I am concerned. How's that for suspension of disbelief? :magnum:
You are indeed very suspended... or is that disbelieving! :lol: :lol: :lol: Don’t forget the “willing” part. :magnum:

Styles Bitchley

#59 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Pahonu wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:48 pm That’s a standard 80 inch high door, yet just ten feet away is the door to the bedroom, which is supposed to be under the lanai. Somehow the bedroom has a typical ceiling but the closet ceiling would be just inches above a very tall Selleck’s head.
I'm trying to remember if there's a step up to the door from that upper platform. That would help a bit...but you're indeed correct about that one.

- J.Q.H.

Pahonu

#60 Post by Pahonu »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:39 pm
Pahonu wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:48 pm That’s a standard 80 inch high door, yet just ten feet away is the door to the bedroom, which is supposed to be under the lanai. Somehow the bedroom has a typical ceiling but the closet ceiling would be just inches above a very tall Selleck’s head.
I'm trying to remember if there's a step up to the door from that upper platform. That would help a bit...but you're indeed correct about that one.
I don’t believe there is on the set, and the boathouse definitely doesn’t have a step into the interior room. It’s just one little problem among many in terms of the set fitting into the actual structure. Overall though, the art director did a reasonable job of making it seem plausible.