Recreating The Guest House

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

eagle
Fleet Admiral

Re: Recreating The Guest House

#31 Post by eagle »

Pahonu wrote:I did scale drawings on graph paper of the guest house set years ago, when the show was still in it's original run.
Bottom line, I did the pencil drawings and they don't work in 2D. I really don't want to draw them again in SketchUp where they will never work in 3D. Sorry guys. Every time I answer questions like this I feel like I'm shattering a bunch of peoples dreams. :( :( :(
Totally makes sense. If you still have those drawings, I'd love to see them. I understand that it doesn't work - but then neither does Jerry Seinfeld's apartment. I just think it's neat.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#32 Post by Pahonu »

eagle wrote: Totally makes sense. If you still have those drawings, I'd love to see them. I understand that it doesn't work - but then neither does Jerry Seinfeld's apartment. I just think it's neat.
Some floor plans like Seinfeld's apartment or the Friends apartment are conceivably possible because they're just one small part of a larger building. The guest house on the other hand... It is fun though.

I doubt I still have them, though I do have a box of old drawings and sketches I've made over the years. Next time I look through it I'll pull them out if I see them. Don't hold your breath though. :lol:

nha trang
Vice Admiral

#33 Post by nha trang »

Pahonu, while I don't have time to give the full detailed reply you deserve at the moment, as I am on my way to bingo in my tiger camo shorts, I want to say that some approximation to a square footprint should be possible since that was the illusion the guest house sold the viewer on tv. Matching the outside isnt as critical, i know this fights against your historic preservation side, but we are all clinging on to memories at this point.

Most of all I wish you all a very happy 4th, however you spend it, thanks for being part of the magnaverse and to all veterans, thank you for your service! :magnum:

Nha trang

erock308
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by erock308 »

Interesting wall art in this Kailua Beach Property... ;-)
https://plus.google.com/photos/photo/11 ... 9400313122
"Don't worry, Higgins, I like your stories."

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by K Hale »

Look what somebody in one of my kitsch furniture groups on Facebook found: A chair that looks to me almost exactly like the ones in the guesthouse... for ten bucks!

I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

willhclark
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#36 Post by willhclark »

Very cool

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by eagle »

K Hale wrote:Look what somebody in one of my kitsch furniture groups on Facebook found: A chair that looks to me almost exactly like the ones in the guesthouse... for ten bucks!
Jealous!!

erock308
Fleet Admiral

#38 Post by erock308 »

And then I find this... :D
"Don't worry, Higgins, I like your stories."

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by KingKC »

WOW!...the ultimate bachelor pad!!! Thanks!!

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#40 Post by Pahonu »

erock308 wrote:And then I find this... :D
Hey Erock,

Great find! I have to say those drawings are spot on to the set. I looked at them for a few minutes and can't find anything that differs from the set. As I said a while back, I did drawings like these years ago, though not colored. I even had the furniture placement. That being said, the set has many problems in relating it to the actual boat house as I've said many times before to many people's disappointment. :(

First, what is in all the area behind and beside the bathroom? The lanai is above it but there is no habitable space below it. The floor plans I've seen elsewhere, adjust the closet and bathroom to fill this space, but then it doesn't match the set.

Second, not one of the set windows is in the same place as the boat house windows. Not one! There should be one window
centered on each side of the upper floor. The door is shown in the center when it is actually off-center in the boat house.

Third, where is the chimney for the fireplace? The boat house has no chimney and it could not direct vent to the lanai it is adjacent to.

Fourth, the lanai makes up approximately two-thirds of the second floor of the actual boat house, with the enclosed space being the other third. The set has reversed this.

Fifth, the overall square footage of the set is about half again larger than the actual boat house.

Sixth, where is the large garage-like door facing the beach that should be on the bedroom wall of the set?

I could go on...

Edit:

I did find a mistake in the drawing. The lanai has a shed roof extending from it toward the beach that is missing. That would extend the bedroom and bathroom about five feet further up on the drawing. Still very good drawings though... of the set.

I also remembered a major problem with the set than can't be seen on the floor plans. It has to do with the elevations. If you look at the floor level of the front door of the set, over the closet, note how the top of the closet door (6-8) is less than a foot below that floor level. That under-stair closet has less than 7 feet of headroom, which is fine for a closet, but if the lanai extends over the bedroom also, then the bedroom would also have less than 7 feet of headroom, which not only violates code, but would be mere inches above Selleck's 6-4 head! The set likely had just a small platform outside the front door to enter from while the attached bedroom set had a more usual ceiling height, though not an actual ceiling for filming reasons.

I also failed to mention above that no respectable architect would design a guest house where you climbed up a flight of stairs to a front door only to immediately go back down a flight of stairs into the entire livable space. That's just stupid and I remember thinking that when I was 9-years old and the show debuted. I've been thinking about this stuff for a looong time! Sadly!!!!! :shock: :wink: :lol:

Again, I feel like I'm ruining everyone's dreams about the guest house but it just doesn't work. Sorry everyone!

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Where the stairs make a break for the dining room platform, there certainly should be more space than only a step long?

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#42 Post by ConchRepublican »

erock308 wrote:And then I find this... :D
Why do I see this and think . . . we have the beginnings of a Magnum, P.I. version of Clue?!?!?
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by eagle »

ConchRepublican wrote:Why do I see this and think . . . we have the beginnings of a Magnum, P.I. version of Clue?!?!?
That's awesome!
Pahonu wrote:the set has many problems in relating it to the actual boat house as I've said many times before to many people's disappointment. :(
I know, but TBH I don't really care. :)

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#44 Post by Styles Bitchley »

ConchRepublican wrote:Why do I see this and think . . . we have the beginnings of a Magnum, P.I. version of Clue?!?!?
OMG, that would be so awesome! Luther in the wine cellar with the rubber chicken!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#45 Post by ConchRepublican »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
OMG, that would be so awesome! Luther in the wine cellar with the rubber chicken!
Too funny!!

Alright . . . I think we need to make this happen now . . .
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04