Third Magnum watch

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Kifaru
Lieutenant

Third Magnum watch

#1 Post by Kifaru »

Hi,
I'm new to the site although I've been a Magnum fan for quite some time. Excellent site from what I've seen so far.

One thing that I've noticed, and I don't know if this has been noted before, is that during certain close-ups of Magnum's hands during the "GMT years" is that there is a different watch-bracelet than the standard Rolex one. Although I noticed this some time ago I never gave much thought to it. Today however, while watching "Death and Taxes", during the scene where TM is sitting at the Rippers desk and going through the photographs, you can actually for a very short time see the face of this watch and it is obviously no Rolex GMT-Master. Judging by the general design of the watch and the position of the crown, I'd say it's a Seiko Skx007 (or similar) with a pepsi dial.

My immediate conclusion from this is that they must have used a "hand model" for Selleck during these scenes and used the "Seiko" as cheap alternative for the actual Rolex. What are your thoughts on this?

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by Danno »

Welcome aboard, Kifaru!

It's entirely possible. Someone would have to post a few screenshots to be sure.

The GMT Master can have two types of bracelets in stainless steel but I don't remember Magnum's ever swapping.
I have seen this photo of Selleck as Magnum wearing a gold GMT Master with the alternative bracelet.

I could see someone being the 'hand in' for pick up shots though and using a cheaper lookalike watch as that GMT Master is Selleck's personal watch...
Last edited by Danno on Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Magnum T. »

Welcome to you!
This is an interesting story because I'm going to buy a Seiko 009 which is a Pepsi 007.
"Zeus, Apollo, get out of my Ferrari!"
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

Kifaru
Lieutenant

#4 Post by Kifaru »

I've taken some screenshots of it now. First one is from "Tigers Fan" where the bracelet is visible. Second one is from Death and Taxes, where the face of the watch is visible (but only for a split second!).

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Magnum T. »

From what I see it is very close to the sk009.
The watch itself is identical, the bracelet is a Jubilee type but it should have "Seiko" written on the clasp (at least modern Seikos have it).
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#6 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Nice investigative work. It sure looks like a Seiko to me. I have an old sporty Seiko from the 70s, with exactly the same band. Although I can't remember if it has the Seiko logo on the clasp. I'll have to dig it out of whatever drawer it's lurking in and take a look.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#7 Post by N1095A »

"But Higgins, I can explain."

gmt16750
Captain

#8 Post by gmt16750 »

it seems to be a model like this seiko skx009 kp (red paint on bezel from 12 to 20, arrow minutes' hand)
http://www.chronograph.com/store/mli_vi ... roduct=469
Agatha: Why does he always do that, Jonathan?
Higgins: I don't know, Agatha. I think sometimes our creator is testing me. Indeed it could be for no other reason. If i thought otherwise i believe i truly would go irrevocably irretrievably mad!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#9 Post by Styles Bitchley »

gmt16750 wrote:it seems to be a model like this seiko skx009 kp (red paint on bezel from 12 to 20, arrow minutes' hand)
http://www.chronograph.com/store/mli_vi ... roduct=469
The band looks slightly different, but the watch itself looks the same. A very smart looking time piece, actually. I've always been impressed with the quality of Seiko watches.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Tidewater
Lieutenant Junior Grade

seiko & ............

#10 Post by Tidewater »

that's some good eyes Kifaru.

i bought a seiko just like the one in your screen shot in 1986 with the same band and emblem on the latch

mine has.......Divers 150m on the face

sometime mid-90s, the recessed holes in the watch where the lil pins go that hold the band on. they wore out (unto my knowledge at the time) and i nearly lost the entire watch. lost the band but found the watch. on the back of this watch, it had a gauge etched into the back........the gauge had years as to when to change the battery and with each change a small dot was to be etched showing the change year. mine is barely legible. my crystal & bezel are all scratched up as i wore it year round back then working.

i just received a MkII watch i ordered back in Nov 09, i had it customized so that it looked very similar to Magnum's Chronosport watch.

i would attach some pics of both watches, but don't have an image account online,,,,joe

[/url]

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#11 Post by J.J. Walters »

It appears that Magnum likes to slip on the Seiko for situations where the danger factor is high, like chasing nursery-rhyming serial killers or murdering drug pushers. The Rolex must be protected at all costs! ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by perfectlykevin »

Kifaru wrote:I've taken some screenshots of it now. First one is from "Tigers Fan" where the bracelet is visible. Second one is from Death and Taxes, where the face of the watch is visible (but only for a split second!).

Given the production years, I'd say it's a Seiko diver 150m 6309-7290 with a Pepsi bezel. Band is an aftermarket. Prob. used by a hand double as suggested when Tom Selleck was filming other shots.

Kev

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Magnum T. »

I have my SKX009 on my wrist now, and it looks identical.
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"