Magnum Soundtrack: A question about a project of mine

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

BobBlusoe
Commander
Location: Currently staying in the guest house at the Robin Masters Estate

Magnum Soundtrack: A question about a project of mine

#1 Post by BobBlusoe »

After looking and looking for a soundtrack to the series, I eventually decided I would play through each episode and record any music I couldn't get on an album. I go through and try to remove noise and edit the tracks so they sound good but have no voice in them. I'm almost done with the "soundtrack" to season 1, and it appears I have over an hour of music. I was wondering if I could create a topic for the soundtrack on this forum once its done so other fans could have this music (a lot is really good as you know) or if that would be violating copyright laws. It's in high-quality mp3 format and will be ready for iPod/MP3 players. So far, out of the 79 tracks I have done, only the snow palace song has a quick voice in it so it pretty much sounds like a soundtrack. there are sounds I couldn't remove however, but it kind of works in a way too, so whatever. of course, music like the blade runner theme and any genesis music I wouldn't put up since you can buy those.

just wondering if I could possibly share this with you guys. thanks!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

A collection of all the Mike Post/Pete Carpenter episodic scores? Sure, I'm down with that! ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Jeffrey
Vice Admiral

#3 Post by Jeffrey »

That would be awesome! Can't wait :)
TM "Rick wasn't overly enthusiastic about my plan. He thought it had some holes in it, and he was afraid they would end up in him...
I told him that was ridiculous."

BobBlusoe
Commander

#4 Post by BobBlusoe »

Like I said, It may have car noises or gunshots in the background, but I've tried to cut out all stuff that wasn't needed. But sounds don't bother me as much as voices. I'm almost done with season 1; I'll upload it when I'm done tagging it. It's around 80% of all the music (Like I said, some music has voice throughout the WHOLE song, which makes it annoying to listen to, so I cut don't include the 4 or so songs that are like that.)

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by MACattack »

You should include some of the other great music from the show:
"Try a little tenderness" by Otis Redding, the cover of "Purple Haze", "Mama" & "the Brazilian" by Genesis..... etc.
I just don't give a damn!

BobBlusoe
Commander

#6 Post by BobBlusoe »

I have those on my personal soundtrack, but I don't know if I can put those online since you can buy those songs. But then again, probably a little site like this won't care.

Let me ask, if I were allowed to, would you guys want those in order with where they are in the episodes, or as a seperate "Magnum companion soundtrack" or something?

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#7 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Will the Lads barking at TM be included on there? :D

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#8 Post by J.J. Walters »

Regarding linking to these on the forum, the episode scores are ok, but the third-party songs are not. Major copyright issues come into play with the commercially available songs (Genesis, Otis Redding, etc.).

Thanks
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Dr Frasier Crane
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#9 Post by Dr Frasier Crane »

Hi, I'm Bob Blusoe. I lost my account info and haven't been back for a while, but I thought I'd let you know how this project turned out. I ended up recording all "recordable" music up to "Thicker than Blood" in Season 1. I realized while I was playing it all back that even though I had eliminated all the voices, there was still so much noise (sound effects) that it still wasn't really fun to actually listen to. Because of this, I stopped working on this project. All of the music that was listenable (my favorite being the Crosby Still Nash-like opening of "Lest We Forget" was already available on this website. To top it off, I forgot about this project and later I formatted my computer, erasing the files I made. Unfortunately it seems like we have all the Magnum music we can get unless someone involved in production releases the scores. I haven't seen Mike Post release official soundtracks for any of his other shows so I doubt this will happen.

I haven't heard all of the pieces on the website, but if anyone is interested I can mix/edit all of the recordings and create some nice album art so I can at least do something similar to it. And if there is a specific song that springs to mind from the show that Magnum-Mania doesn't have I can see if I can get it, although I can't guarantee it won't be sound effect-filled.

Thomas_Magnum
Commander

#10 Post by Thomas_Magnum »

Looking For Space by John Denver is on my iPod and always makes me melancholy.
...and that, as they say, is the hell of it.