How did you get into Magnum?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

BobBlusoe
Commander
Location: Currently staying in the guest house at the Robin Masters Estate

How did you get into Magnum?

#1 Post by BobBlusoe »

What got you into the show? I didn't find out about it until late 2007, when I was in 8th grade. I got really sick and there was nothing on and my mother had just recieved seasons 1 & 2 as a gift. Ever since, its been my absolute favorite show of all time. Although it can be irritating that no other student at my school has been blessed with being able to watch it, so they never know what I'm talking about. How did you come to like Magnum?

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by MACattack »

grew up watching the show with my dad during the turbulent 80's.
I just don't give a damn!

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Coops »

I was 13 when it first aired and have been hooked on it my entire life. I just turned 43.

BobBlusoe
Commander

#4 Post by BobBlusoe »

I hope that they will bring them to new formats so eventually I'll still be able to view them/show them to my children when I'm an adult. (Assuming players aren't dvd-compatable.) When my mother first got seasons 1 & 2, we accidently put in side B of disc 1. because of this, my first episode was "Need to Know" and I wasn't totally impressed. However, when I became ill for a while, I was home from school with nothing to watch so I thought "what the heck?" and put in side A of disc 1. I enjoyed the pilot very much and became hooked. Magnum has been with me for more than 3 years and I am actually sad I'm going to finish the series fairly soon. (I'm planning to watch "Resolutions" on my last day of school.) It's had more of an effect on my life than any other tv show in my life.
I just hope magnum isn't lost in 20years.

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Coops »

With new fans like you BB, Magnum will never disappear! And congrats on appreciating what good TV is inspite of your peers!

Dervish
Rear Admiral

#6 Post by Dervish »

December 2008, I got Hawaii Five O season one DVD box set. I thought it was a decent show, but I wasn't overly enthused over it.

I was given Magnum PI season one for Christmas. After seeing the first episode, I knew I'd like the rest. I bought seasons 2-4, followed by 5-8. Now it is one of my very favorite TV shows!

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#7 Post by ConchRepublican »

Coops wrote:I was 13 when it first aired and have been hooked on it my entire life. I just turned 43.
Hmmm . . . pretty much my story as well. I'll be 43 this summer . . .
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Frodoleader »

My wife-to-be told me about this really cool new detective show, back in 1981. The rest is history.
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#9 Post by Doc Ibold »

Coops wrote:With new fans like you BB, Magnum will never disappear! And congrats on appreciating what good TV is inspite of your peers!
Lets not paint everyone with the same brush. I'm sure most of BB's peers have no idea what Magnum is. There are quite a few forumites who weren't even born yet when Magnum was on, but discovered it in syndication.

And with some hope, maybe they'll discover it via the DVDs!

Dervish
Rear Admiral

Re: How did you get into Magnum?

#10 Post by Dervish »

BobBlusoe wrote:Although it can be irritating that no other student at my school has been blessed with being able to watch it, so they never know what I'm talking about.
If any of them are Family Guy fans, you can refer them to the Magnum PI scenes. Here they are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlsyNmSB ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EPbvm42 ... re=related

Also, tell them about Magnum on Hulu!

BobBlusoe
Commander

#11 Post by BobBlusoe »

I've tried to show Magnum, P.I. to some of some of my friends but they mostly shrug if off as just normal 80's television. Although they're usually interested because they like to see where I get most of my clothing style choices! (Jungle Bird, anyone?) But I didn't become obsessed until watching a couple, so maybe I just need to tie them to a chair and force them to watch lol!

But it's kind of the perfect show because it can appeal to everyone for different reasons. Although it seems women of my generation don't seem to find him attractive anymore like adult women do. I guess thats why I haven't grown a mustache yet hahaha!

By the way, Most kids of my generation are huge family guy fans, though I prefer comedies like 30 ROCK or Arrested Development. I'm sure they've seen these but haven't linked 2 and 2 together.

I wish I grew up when shows like Magnum and Simon and Simon were on the air as opposed to American Idol and Jersey Shore :cry:

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by MACattack »

Well, I'm 34 (43 in reverse), and I still enjoy MPI. There alot of people in their twenties who nothing about this great show. All they know is stupid reality shows.

There is a way to revive the series: Either put Tom Selleck in the new movie, or bring the original cast back for a TV mini-series.

BobBlusoe
Commander

#13 Post by BobBlusoe »

If they do a movie, then it probably will be a remmake of the show as opposed to a sequel, sadly. but maybe a reunion show or series. if we could somehow convince them that it was popular. we should just go to the cbs main building and plaster magnum pictures all over the walls to convince them! then head on over to NBC and do the same thing with Conan pictures.

I'm gonna try to organize a party where like 50 people who havent seen magnum come over to watch. maybe that would work. and i'm hoping for a possible blu ray release before i head on to college. (seasons 1-5 are my mom's.) maybe?

only looking
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by only looking »

MACattack wrote:grew up watching the show with my dad during the turbulent 80's.
Same here. My father died in 1996 and every since then Magnum was even more important to me as it reminds me of better times. :wink:
It made me do it Higgins!!!

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by MACattack »

Sorry bout your dad. I still see my father because he lives down the street from me. He still enjoys MPI, and drives a red BMW. He can't afford a Ferrari right now, blame it on the economy!