How did you get into Magnum?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#106 Post by MACattack »

Wow, Magnum memories. I remember first watching Magnum P.I. with my father and sister on whatever channel it was on, way back in '82. Then, I remember watching reruns of it during the '90's on USA. Then, A&E picked it up for a while from '98 till 2003. Now, I watch it on DVD on my brand new 40"inch TV! And, these days I'm trying to live like Magnum! Only exception is: it's my house, and nobody's trying to shoot at me!
I just don't give a damn!

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#107 Post by SelleckLover »

MACattack:

FYI: Magnum was aired on CBS back in the 80's. =)

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#108 Post by MACattack »

Oh yeah..... I remember SIMON & SIMON came on after Magnum

rasgards
Rear Admiral

#109 Post by rasgards »

I don't remember the first seasons as I was only 5 when it first aired in 80, but I can remember watching some of the last episodes. I remember distinctly remember watching the episodes with "Linda Li Ellison"...I wonder why. I really got into Magnum when it was showed as reruns in the 90s, I think on WGN or some similar channel.
Ras G

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#110 Post by Magnum T. »

MACattack wrote:...And, these days I'm trying to live like Magnum! Only exception is: it's my house, and nobody's trying to shoot at me!
So you live in Hawaii and drive a 308? :)
"Zeus, Apollo, get out of my Ferrari!"
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

Tom_Magnum
Personal Guest of Robin Masters

#111 Post by Tom_Magnum »

I saw it on this Canadian TV channel called DejaView where they show all these old popular 1980s shows like The A-Team, Knight Rider, Magnum PI, Simon & Simon, etc. Magnum PI looked really good, so i watched "Faith & Begorrah" and I enjoyed it and I've seen it ever since (summer 2007).

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#112 Post by MACattack »

No, I don't live in Hawai'i. I used to, and I'm planning to move back there when I find the right property. As for the Ferrari.... a man can dream,can't he?

ban-1
Lieutenant

#113 Post by ban-1 »

I got into Magnum P.I. after seeing some Magnum Clips on the first disc of a season of Knight Rider and thinking, okay I got to see if this show is cool or not. Rented season 1 and after seeing Rick's club in the first episode, I was hooked. The model of the Ferrari my mom gave me by Revell did the trick to. My mom was the one who built the model when she was a kid though.
God So Beloved the earth(us humans) that he gave his only begotten son(Jesus Christ) to die for us(the sins we made) and rose on the third day so that whomever believeth in him shalt not die(go to Hell) but have everlasting life(Go to Heaven)
John 3:16

56E 478
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#114 Post by 56E 478 »

Here locally,back in the day,the 'word' was out that a replacement show for H50 was happening soon and our household had no problems with another Hawaii based show. Thinking that it would be difficult to accept a new show after seeing H50 for all this time,and seeing the upcoming previews,the pilot made it a smooth transition,almost like the changing of the guard.

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#115 Post by AmandaByNight »

I watched the show as a kid during its original run and really enjoyed it. About five or so seasons in, I was in high school and they started re-running the show daily, so when I'd come home I'd watch it. Then one day, and I don't remember the day or why, I was hooked. I started to memorize the episode titles (I'm not quite as good now) and wrote a little script for the show.

I remember when Limbo aired we were out of town so I had to tape it. We got home about two days after it aired at around 2 am or so and I stayed up to watch it and cried like a baby. I cry every time I see it, but at the time, it was devestating.

As I get older, I find I resonate with the characters more. Watching Magnum turn 40 reminds me a lot of how I feel now that I'm 39. I adore Maagnum P.I. and am always astounded by what I get from each episodes, even now, after I've seen them dozens of times.

Mr. Greene
Rear Admiral

#116 Post by Mr. Greene »

I was in the 5th grade and I remember seeing the second episode when it first aired, and watched it religiously ever since. and later I watche my favorite (Simon and Simon) which was better for me since I grew up in San Diego. So I guess I have been a fan since the begining. :D

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

#117 Post by No need to know! »

Hi! I really came to love this fantastic show in 1999. I live in Sweden and i took every chance i could to watch it every afternoon. If i missed it i taped it and watched it every night when my girlfriend had fallen asleep :D
Yes i am new here, but as i am a true Magnum maniac i am here to stay to talk with you guys and girls about the best show ever.
Onion´s extra?

Sir Fearing Pangborn
Ensign

#118 Post by Sir Fearing Pangborn »

I'm only 24 so I was to young to watch the show when it originally aired . I remember i first started watching the syndication of magnum in the early to mid 90's on summer break from school. After that I didn't watch it again for 10 years till the DVDs came out .IT Worked out nice because I forgot all the episodes and it was like a brand new show on DVD . Now I usually watch an episode before I go to sleep . Also I feel it's more of a summer months show
Last edited by Sir Fearing Pangborn on Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#119 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Sir Fearing Pangborn wrote:I'm onl 24 so I was to young to watch the show when it originally aired . I remember i first started watching the syndication in the early to mid 90's on summer break from school. After that I didn't watch it again for 10 years till the DVDs came out .IT Worked out nice because I forgot all the episodes and it was like a brand new show on DVD . Now I usually watch an episode before I go to sleep . Also I feel it's more of a summer months show ( many cUae thats how I first saw it)
Welcome Aboard!

JDM
Ensign

Re: How did you get into Magnum?

#120 Post by JDM »

Aloha From Dallas!

Watched the show when I was really young. Didn't remember much about specific episodes as I didn't watch much TV back then & I was very young. But, I couldn't ever forget the intro music. I knew I liked the show. Recently been DVRing all Magnum Episodes and watching after kids go to sleep and it makes me feel like I am a kid again...I even bought a ROBIN-1 License plate off Ebay and it is proudly displayed in my office. All I have to do is take a look at it and my stress melts away! Anyway, Thanks for having the forum. Lots of interesting info.