Corgi TC's copter: Is it real?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

Corgi TC's copter: Is it real?

#1 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Hello,

years ago, I have seen this

on ebay, but never again. Has anyone an idea, if it's a real corgi item, or a standard Corgi Police helicopter with a nice paintjob and a made-up repro-box.

[/img]

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

I've never seen that one either, but it looks real. I like the little T.C.. He looks like he's extending his arm for an arm wrestling match, or maybe a rough handshake! ;)

Corgi made several Magnum P.I. tie-in products, including this one:

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#3 Post by N1095A »

That particular helicopter was available with a few different paint schemes. I remember having one when I was a kid that had a police scheme. I think golfmobile has one also, but she painted hers like T.C.'s.

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by MACattack »

If I ever see that model 308 Ferrari on eBay, I'm getting it! I don't care if I have to put it on Robin Masters's tab!!!!
I just don't give a damn!

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

Hi gang, sorry I haven't had much time to get on the forum lately.

Anyway, I do vaguely recall seeing one of those Corgi T.C. helicopters a long time ago (well over 10 years) when I first ventured onto e-bay.

I'm not sure if I remember correctly, but I think etrl also made a Magnum Ferarri with 'Magnum p.i.' painted across the hood!
Kinda like how (sorry to bring up that other fave of mine) they made The A-Team van and Corvette models with 'The A-Team' painted on (and even a little 'B.A.' door tag for Mr. T). Like year, the MPs will never spot them now! :lol:
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

jamessw
Ensign

Re: Corgi TC's copter: Is it real?

#6 Post by jamessw »

Higgins (aka Bondtoys) wrote:Hello,

years ago, I have seen these essay writing services and these pics:

on ebay, but never again. Has anyone an idea, if it's a real corgi item, or a standard Corgi Police helicopter with a nice paintjob and a made-up repro-box.

[/img]
I know this thread is old but I just want to see these toys. But your images are gone and I don't know how to find them
Last edited by jamessw on Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:11 am, edited 3 times in total.

waverly2211
Captain

#7 Post by waverly2211 »

I know it's old...

I used to collect Corgi Thunderbirds and F1 cars as a kid.

If it wasn't answered before, yes that helicopter is a real Corgi produced an Island Hoppers helicopter complete with a TC figure. Very, very rare.

Corgi produced like 5 different Magnum, P.I. Ferraris as well.
Ferrari, no figure no background. Most common

Ferrari with magnum figure, Rare.

Ferrari, no Magnum figure, Ferrari background and tire skid marks, very rare

Ferrari with glider in a trailer, Magnum figure. Very, very rare to find one with an intact glider.

Ferrari with Boat, Magnum, Scuba figure and bikini figure included. Impossible rare to find with all 3 figures and boat.

Also Corgi Junior produced a Magnum PI car and Buick Police car.
Could be bought together in a pack as well.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

waverly2211 wrote:I know it's old...

If it wasn't answered before, yes that helicopter is a real Corgi produced an Island Hoppers helicopter complete with a TC figure. Very, very rare.
Ferrari with glider in a trailer, Magnum figure. Very, very rare to find one with an intact glider.
Ferrari with Boat, Magnum, Scuba figure and bikini figure included. Impossible rare to find with all 3 figures and boat.
Hi Wavely,
Neat post! Would you happen to know what these are now selling for or have a good estimate? Who knows, some Magnum Maniac may run across
them at a garage sale.

waverly2211
Captain

#9 Post by waverly2211 »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:

Hi Wavely,
Neat post! Would you happen to know what these are now selling for or have a good estimate? Who knows, some Magnum Maniac may run across
them at a garage sale.

Called a local collector

"Corgi #298 is a base Ferrari 308 GTS made from 1981 to 1984ish... No Magnum PI reference-$ easy to find for under $100 now here is where things get going.

Corgi produced a series of limited run #298 Ferrari's with Magnum pi references with the header board with a picture of Magnum and Magnum p.i. emblazoned on the boxes after receiving approval from Universal. That one is not a hard find but it can cost $200-$400 depending on shape of box

Corgi also produced a very small run with figurine, 2 different color shirts, white and red, that I know of. Rumored to be left over figurines from other sets just glued or stuck in the box $300+

And the version with the skid marks-$300+

The fun stuff

TC's chopper. Corgi base #921 was a white police helicopter. However they made a very small amount in Island Hoppers paint scheme for a gift toy set that never materialized. When the gift set never was brought to market they just put them in the #921 box and shipped them out. I have no idea how many, I heard as many as 25 and as little as 3.-I would pay $2,000 for a NIB version

Now the gift sets, actually put together by Culfi Toy

Corgi Gift Set #28, Mazda Pickup & Dinghy with Trailer. Prototype Magnum pi set, maybe 30 made or so.
Ferrari with Boat and all 3 figures, Magnum, Diver and woman. Woman was from set #36, easily over $1,000.00 if not double.

Corgi Gift Set #12, Glider set, mazda car and Glider. Prototype Magnum pi set, maybe 10 exist.
Ferrari with Glider and figure, again sky's the limit easley $5,000 for a NIB condition and no damage to glider

If you find one, call me"

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

waverly2211 wrote:
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:

Hi Waverly,
them at a garage sale.

Called a local collector
"Corgi #298 is a base Ferrari 308 GTS made from 1981 to 1984ish... No Magnum PI reference-$ easy to find for under $100 now here is where things get going.
Corgi produced a series of limited run #298 Ferrari's with Magnum pi references with the header board with a picture of Magnum and Magnum p.i. emblazoned on the boxes after receiving approval from Universal. That one is not a hard find but it can cost $200-$400 depending on shape of box
Corgi also produced a very small run with figurine, 2 different color shirts, white and red, that I know of. Rumored to be left over figurines from other sets just glued or stuck in the box $300+
And the version with the skid marks-$300+
The fun stuff
TC's chopper. Corgi base #921 was a white police helicopter. However they made a very small amount in Island Hoppers paint scheme for a gift toy set that never materialized. When the gift set never was brought to market they just put them in the #921 box and shipped them out. I have no idea how many, I heard as many as 25 and as little as 3.-I would pay $2,000 for a NIB version
Now the gift sets, actually put together by Culfi Toy
Corgi Gift Set #28, Mazda Pickup & Dinghy with Trailer. Prototype Magnum pi set, maybe 30 made or so.
Ferrari with Boat and all 3 figures, Magnum, Diver and woman. Woman was from set #36, easily over $1,000.00 if not double.
Corgi Gift Set #12, Glider set, mazda car and Glider. Prototype Magnum pi set, maybe 10 exist.
Ferrari with Glider and figure, again sky's the limit easley $5,000 for a NIB condition and no damage to glider
If you find one, call me"
Hi Waverly,
Thank you so much for the information, fascinating! Armed with your findings, who knows, maybe one of the Magnum Maniacs will make
a score at a garage sale. Revell sold Route 66 TV show Corvettes 50 years after that series went off the air, maybe they will do Magnum's
Ferrari. Or Corgi may issue new versions.
I was a Matchbox Man myself when I was growing up, we looked askance at the kids with the
"big" Corgis as those vehicles didn't fit the Matchbox scale when we played cars.
Figured the Corgi Kids for subversives or some kind of heretics, Matchbox loyalty runs deep. :)
Waverly, when I see your name I try to figure which episode inspired it but I can't recall.
So, what episode was it?
Thanks again for the information you supplied.