Those "stolen" moments

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Diamond Head
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Those "stolen" moments

#1 Post by Diamond Head »

Much of my MPI knowledge originally came from watching (and re-watching) episodes taped on VHS from networks that carried the show after it went off the air. For awhile in the early to mid 1990s, numerous networks ran the shows, so the episodes weren't hard to find. But I think in syndication (correct me here if I'm wrong), the standard 48-50 min. ep. is shortened to 45 min.

So when the first season came out on DVD, it was for me like adopting a child. And as I watched the shows from the various seasons, I began to notice completely new scenes that must have been sliced for syndication. For example, during "Try to Remember," after Magnum goes over the cliff in the Ferrari and Higgins, Rick, and TC wait in the hospital, a very nervous Higgins asks Rick for a cigarette. I thought this was a very poignant scene.

Now here's the challenge: can you think of any of these "sliced-for-syndication" scenes that appeared in the original episodes but were cut to make room for commercials when the shows re-aired? I'm attempting to compile a list of sorts.
I know what you're thinking...

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

That's a great idea Diamond Head!

You are correct, syndication airings usually shave about 2-3 minutes off the original broadcast version of each episode.

It's been so long since I've seen the syndication versions (except for the few that are on the DVDs), I have no idea which scenes have been cut out.

I do remember somebody mentioning that "Basket Case" almost always has the opening scene of Willie conning the speeding tourists cut out, with the episode starting on the next scene at the playground basketball court.

If anybody has any others please post them here.

Thanks
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Buck
Captain

#3 Post by Buck »

Have the DVD episodes been cut, or do we get the original version?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#4 Post by J.J. Walters »

The vast majority of the episodes on the DVDs are uncut (i.e. the original broadcast versions). There are a few however that are different from the original broadcasts - "L.A." (missing the Kimberly McArthur hot tub scene), "Murder By Night" (colorized), "Limbo" (slightly different), "Resolutions" (missing most of the Annapolis bar scene, and the montage sequence at the end is completely removed).
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#5 Post by Styles Bitchley »

That's strange. I never knew some of the DVD episodes were cut. You'd think if they went to all that trouble, they'd at least get all the original episodes.

Do you think it was just a mistake and the guys putting the DVDs together didn't realize the had the snipped eps?
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Buck
Captain

#6 Post by Buck »

James J. Walters wrote:The vast majority of the episodes on the DVDs are uncut (i.e. the original broadcast versions). There are a few however that are different from the original broadcasts - "L.A." (missing the Kimberly McArthur hot tub scene), "Murder By Night" (colorized), "Limbo" (slightly different), "Resolutions" (missing most of the Annapolis bar scene, and the montage sequence at the end is completely removed).
Someone PM me the youtube location, I want to see the missing parts of Resolutions. I can't believe they cut it for DVD release.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#7 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I agree with you guys. You'd think they would've made sure all of the original material was in the DVD's. I'm also disappointed there isn't any missing or cut footage as extras material.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#8 Post by N1095A »

IKnowWhatYoureThinking wrote:I agree with you guys. You'd think they would've made sure all of the original material was in the DVD's. I'm also disappointed there isn't any missing or cut footage as extras material.
Not only did they delete scenes on the DVDs, but Universal really dropped the ball on the bonus features. I recently watched the Northern Exposure DVDs, and they have deleted scenes, out takes, gag reels, and short films. MPI DVDs could have had all that. Real pity.

Marco
Commander

#9 Post by Marco »

Those scenes seem to be not cut from the german version. As it has english language as well, maybe that would be an option for some of you. Of course it would need to be transferred from PAL to NTSC. But at least these scenes exist in our DVD editions.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#10 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I know Mike. I just can't imagine why there wasn't anything like that on the MPI set. I love having the entire series on DVD, but they could have given us so much more.

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

Although MPI is a classic series, I was mostly very disappointed with the DVDs, and the lack of extras (especially when considering how many extras many lesser shows get).

It started shakily when the music for 'China Doll' was out of sync (six different copies from different sources, and still don't have a complete "good" copy of this, one of my favourite eps :lol:), but my biggest disappointment was with 'Resolutions' - the two part syndicated version and with several scenes missing.
My off-air version was also chopped up for time (it happens a lot with old US shows here in the UK), so was really looking forward to a complete version, so was really let down.
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

N1095A

#12 Post by N1095A »

IKnowWhatYoureThinking wrote:I know Mike. I just can't imagine why there wasn't anything like that on the MPI set. I love having the entire series on DVD, but they could have given us so much more.
I have a theory. It involves a mysterious person connected with the show who inexplicably is in posession of a vast array of original props from the show including reels of footage.
Last edited by N1095A on Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#13 Post by Styles Bitchley »

N1095A wrote:
IKnowWhatYoureThinking wrote:I know Mike. I just can't imagine why there wasn't anything like that on the MPI set. I love having the entire series on DVD, but they could have given us so much more.
I have a theory. Not to say too much but it involves a mysterious person connected with the show who inexplicably is in posession of a vast array of original props from the show including reels of footage.
I like conspiracy theories! Think we have a case on our hands? I suggest a group outing a la Murder 101.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

N1095A

#14 Post by N1095A »

Styles Bitchley wrote: I like conspiracy theories! Think we have a case on our hands? I suggest a group outing a la Murder 101.
It's not exactly a conspiracy theory. Conspiracy would indicate more than one person. I think only one person is responsible, and and if I'm right, those particular moments may be quite literally stolen. As in, when they made the DVDs the extra footage was locked away in this person's private stash of ill-gotten items, and therefore unavailable for the DVDs.
Last edited by N1095A on Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Sam »