A Crazy Magnum Movie Proposal from New Member

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Diamond Head
Lieutenant Junior Grade

A Crazy Magnum Movie Proposal from New Member

#1 Post by Diamond Head »

OK, I know what you're thinking: not another thread about a Magnum movie. Don't worry. I've lost all hope that a movie involving any of the original cast will be made.

I'm 38-years-young, I've spent a year of my life in a morgue (long but fascinating story), and I despise reality television. I've witnessed the worst that people can do to each other, and while I'll admit to a certain morbid fascination with some Law and Order clones (NOT CSI!), I long for an action-adventure show like Magnum or Tales of the Golden Monkey--something that doesn't hit me in the face with a cold bucket of reality.

So I return year after year to Magnum like it's an old, reliable friend. I've worked my way though the seasons, and now I'm approaching the final episodes. Desperate for a ninth season that doesn't exist, I was thinking that someone with a lot of time and technical expertise (not me, sadly) could literally piece together a new episode with a new plot from existing scenes. While possible, this would be VERY difficult (and I don't think Universal would appreciate the infringement!). Then all of a sudden, the lightbulb went on.

Someone could make a Magnum movie with the original cast as they appeared in the mid-1980s but with a new plot. How you might wonder? Ever seen Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid? It's a film starring Steve Martin who plays a detective named Riggby Reardon and solves a case. Rob Reiner ingeniously splices pieces of old mystery/suspense films into the plot, so Martin at various times works with Bogart and others. Replace mystery and suspense clips with Magnum clips and there you go. Of course, a new character would have to be added and Magnum and the boys would play supporting roles. But come on, it's better than a Magnum movie with some Selleck-wannabe-but-cantbe.

I've thought about contacting Universal, but even if I did, no one would listen to me. "Not marketable," they'd say. Or "You're crazy," which, of course, I am.

If you've read this far, you're probably as obsessed with the show as I am, and thanks for reading this overly-long post. Long live Magnum!
I know what you're thinking...

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by MACattack »

Interesting idea, but I think the fans want to see what happened to Magnum and the gang 20 years later. They better hurry up while Hillerman is still alive!
I just don't give a damn!

Diamond Head
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#3 Post by Diamond Head »

Agreed. It would be fascinating to see the gang today. I've contemplated a possible plot for this storyline for years. Magnum runs Naval Intelligence in Hawaii and winds up working with some young kid on a case that somehow involves the criminal underworld of the Islands...

And you're right. Who would play Higgins if not Hillerman? I'm not sure there could be a replacement for him. Or for Magnum, really.
I know what you're thinking...

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Re: A Crazy Magnum Movie Proposal from New Member

#4 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hello Diamond Head! (Great band by the way) Welcome to the site! :)

I like your idea for a movie, very original.
Diamond Head wrote:I long for an action-adventure show like Magnum or Tales of the Golden Monkey--something that doesn't hit me in the face with a cold bucket of reality.
Amen! One can only take so much death and despair as is seen on so many shows today. I like Criminal Minds (which has some interesting, laudable characters), but I feel like I need to take a shower after watching it!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#5 Post by N1095A »

MACattack wrote:... They better hurry up while Hillerman is still alive!
Tact is a wonderful thing.

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by MACattack »

There's so much that they need to show about our favorite characters, that it would be better if MPI came back as a mini-series instead of a movie.

A lot of crime shows are really just rip offs of the original MPI series, anyways. No wonder Bellisario pulled out of NCIS! Interesting show, but not as good as what he was producing in the 80's! (MPI, Tales Of The Gold Monkey, A-Team, Airwolf, Quantum Leap)

Jeffrey
Vice Admiral

#7 Post by Jeffrey »

@MACattack, Donald Bellisario did not produce The A-Team. Stephen J. Cannell and Frank Lupo did. :P

I think there is not coming a reunion movie to be honest. If it happents i'll be very suprised, but happy ofcourse.
TM "Rick wasn't overly enthusiastic about my plan. He thought it had some holes in it, and he was afraid they would end up in him...
I told him that was ridiculous."

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by MACattack »

You never know. The same thing happened with Star Trek, but then they went on to make "Star Trek: the motion picture" due to a lot of protests from the fans. Now look at the franchise.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#9 Post by Styles Bitchley »

MACattack wrote:You never know. The same thing happened with Star Trek, but then they went on to make "Star Trek: the motion picture" due to a lot of protests from the fans. Now look at the franchise.
Unfortunately, I don't think the relatively small band of Magnum Maniacs has as much influence as the legion of Trekkies.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Commandress
Lieutenant

Re: A Crazy Magnum Movie Proposal from New Member

#10 Post by Commandress »

Diamond Head wrote:I've thought about contacting Universal, but even if I did, no one would listen to me. "Not marketable," they'd say. Or "You're crazy," which, of course, I am.
Hi, Diamond Head.
Love the idea! (Fine line between craziness and genius, you know.)

There was all that talk about the Magnum/Quantum Leap crossover, wasn't there?
I'm not a big science fiction fan myself, but I think the idea of someone from the present finding themselves in 1980s Hawaii might be workable.

I think you should come up with a document to send to a few people... there's money in nostalgia, you know!

Diamond Head wrote:So I return year after year to Magnum like it's an old, reliable friend.
Spot on. :D

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#11 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
MACattack wrote:You never know. The same thing happened with Star Trek, but then they went on to make "Star Trek: the motion picture" due to a lot of protests from the fans. Now look at the franchise.
Unfortunately, I don't think the relatively small band of Magnum Maniacs has as much influence as the legion of Trekkies.
And this is why nothing will be done other than a cheesy version of MPI.

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

MACattack wrote:They better hurry up while Hillerman is still alive!
Haha, it sounded harsh, but it's true.

Anyway, an interesting idea, but as with many other posters, I'd rather see what the gang are up to in the present day.
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

308GTS
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by 308GTS »

I vote for:

Tom Selleck as TM

Roger E Mosley as TC

Larry Manetti as Rick

Jonathan Hillerman as Higgins

Kathleen Lloyd as Carol

Megan Fox as Lily...!
Arun
------

"The only thing that's going to touch you is a 10ft pole"

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#14 Post by Doc Ibold »

308GTS wrote:I vote for:

Megan Fox as Lily...!
Gadzooks man!

Thats at LEAST $50 Million in box office proceeds alone!

Sheer brilliance!

If you're gonna get people to watch the movie, bring in the stars!

:shock:

Megan Fox brings her own audience, not to mention the fans of the show!

308GTS
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by 308GTS »

Doc Ibold wrote:
308GTS wrote:I vote for:

Megan Fox as Lily...!
Gadzooks man!

Thats at LEAST $50 Million in box office proceeds alone!

Sheer brilliance!

If you're gonna get people to watch the movie, bring in the stars!

:shock:

Megan Fox brings her own audience, not to mention the fans of the show!
Well, I guess you're right Doc, Megan Fox would help bring in the audience (me for one!). Let's face it, Tom Selleck was and is a good looking guy so it only stands to reason that Lily should inherit those looks. Megan Fox is perfect for the role, she's the right age, hair colour, tall as I'm sure Lily would have been and of course incredibly gorgeous but they'd have to cover up those unsightly tats.

Sophia Bush is a good second choice (Universal take note!), she's also perfect for the role and less of a bimbo!
Arun
------

"The only thing that's going to touch you is a 10ft pole"