What was your favourite (and least favourite) season?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Which was the best season?

1st season (1980-1)
38%
2nd season (1981-2)
No votes
3rd season (1982-3)
13%
4th season (1983-4)
25%
5th season (1984-5)
No votes
6th season (1985-6)
No votes
7th season (1986-7)
25%
8th season (1987-8)
No votes

Total votes: 8

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

What was your favourite (and least favourite) season?

#1 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

This might seem an obvious topic, so apologies if it's been done before, but which would you consider to be your favourite season? (As in, the best quality season overall, not just because it contains your favourite episode).

Personally I lean towards the first (so fresh feeling, and some great stories) or third season (so polished, with great character moments).

And which is your least favourite season? For me it has to be the fifth season - after the 'golden era' of the third & fourth season, things came crashing down in the fifth, with some bland and boring stories, most of which are hard to even recall.
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#2 Post by ConchRepublican »

We think along the same lines.

Seasons 1 - 3 were excellent, but I'd lean towards 1 as my favorite.

Seasons 5 - 6 weren't great, but I think I'd vote for 6 as my least favorite.

Season 5 had my least fovorite episode, Kiss of the Sabre, but 6 had Deja Vu and The Kona Winds.

I now think I see what they were trying to do those seasons. Inserting some stories with an artistic flair, possibly expanding the "little voice" into a more far reaching sensitivity Thomas had, but they lost their way and lost the "center" of the series and characters.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Danno »

Season 1 is my favorite as well.

Magnum seems to have more swagger in the earlier seasons. It definitely feels fresh, Jay- agreed!

I'm sure there are less beach babes as the seasons progress as well. 8)
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Steve »

It's a toss up between Season 4 and Season 7 as the best for me. I don't really have a worse as there is a few gems in even the bad seasons.......

Commandress
Lieutenant

#5 Post by Commandress »

Season 7, I think, edges it for me.

There seems to be (mostly) a succession of strong stories centred either on growing up or on loss and grief (like Death and Taxes, Little Girl Who, Paper War, Autumn Warrior, Solo Flight, Forty, Laura, Limbo).
I think it's the most rounded season, thematically - you get the feeling it's been well thought through.

Mind you, the phrase "first amongst equals" comes to mind!

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#6 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Although Seasons 1-4 are solid I agree with the majority thus far and say Season 7 is the best. Magnum has matured, yet he is still Magnum, and the sotry lines seem very diverse.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#7 Post by J.J. Walters »

Glad to see the love for Season One!

My favorite is still Season Seven, followed closely by Season Two. Season Seven, for me, had the highest number of quality episodes, and seemed to be more polished than the other seasons. I also like the fact that it brought the show back to the high-quality standards of the first four seasons. After the comparatively weak 5th and 6th seasons (but still better than most shows of the time), to rebound as strong as it did in Season Seven was a real, unexpected treat! Most shows don't "rebound" after they start to decline; once the decline starts, it usually does not stop.
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#8 Post by ConchRepublican »

James J. Walters wrote:Glad to see the love for Season One!

My favorite is still Season Seven, followed closely by Season Two. Season Seven, for me, had the highest number of quality episodes, and seemed to be more polished than the other seasons. I also like the fact that it brought the show back to the high-quality standards of the first four seasons. After the comparatively weak 5th and 6th seasons (but still better than most shows of the time), to rebound as strong as it did in Season Seven was a real, unexpected treat! Most shows don't "rebound" after they start to decline; once the decline starts, it usually does not stop.
excellent sales job James!
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

Season seven if definatly the best of the 'second half of the show' (seasons 5-8 ), it does indeed have some quality stories, but at the same time it does have moments when the show feels decidely tired, and lacking the shine and sheer excitement of earlier seasons.

Season five is my personal least favourite - some very bland stories, with little of the MPI flair. Other than my second all-time favourite ep, 'Mac's Back', no other episode of this episode stands out for me.
Season 6 is also near the bottom of the barrel, but as I commented in many of my reviews, I actually found it better this time than I remembered. (And personally I liked 'Deja Vu', if only to see T.M. and co. here in the UK; though it was over-talky and lacked an exciting climax).

I can't decide if my favourite is season one or three - both have their pros. I might have to flip a coin to decide! (jk) :lol:
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!