Top 10 all-time favourite episodes

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

#31 Post by No need to know! »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:
No need to know! wrote:I have to say that this is almost impossible for me. I´ll give it a try.

#J Digger Doyle

#Memories are forever

#Try to remember

#Did you see the sunrise

#Jororo kill

#Black on white

#Birdman of Budapest

#On face value

#Paper war

#Limbo

Yeah i am really a fan of the first four seasons. Fifth and sixth have their ups but are weak compared with the first four, and the show finishes strong with seventh and eighth season.

Good to see Try to Remember and On Face Value get some love from some other Magnum maniacs!
Try to remember has a great start to it and also Tanaka is in there for the first time.
On face value is just a little different i think with Magnum feeling guilty, and there are a lot of emotional stuff that you don´t see in so many episodes.
Onion´s extra?

burroughsmvp
Commander

#32 Post by burroughsmvp »

I rate the episodes from 1 to 4 Crosses of Lorraine in my Episode Guide, although if ratings could go higher, "Did You See The Sun Rise" would get a 5. ("Let Me Hear The Music" would get a .5, by the way)

Here are my top rated episodes:
4.0 Did You See The Sun Rise? (2)
4.0 Home From The Sea
4.0 L.A. (2)
4.0 Limbo
3.5 Death And Taxes
3.5 Distant Relative
3.5 Echoes of the Mind (2)
3.5 Infinity and Jelly Doughnuts
3.5 Laura
3.5 Little Girl Who
3.5 Mac's Back
3.5 Memories Are Forever (2)
3.5 Paper War
3.5 RESOLUTIONS (2)
3.5 Unfinished Business
3.0 Don't Eat The Snow In Hawaii (2)
3.0 Faith And Begorrah
3.0 Going Home
3.0 J. Digger Doyle
3.0 Kona Winds
3.0 Luther Gillis File #521
3.0 Mr. White Death
3.0 Murder 101
3.0 Out Of Sync
3.0 Past Tense
3.0 Squeeze Play
3.0 Thicker Than Blood
3.0 Way Of The Stalking Horse

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by MaiTaiMan »

No need to know! wrote:
MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:
No need to know! wrote:I have to say that this is almost impossible for me. I´ll give it a try.

#J Digger Doyle

#Memories are forever

#Try to remember

#Did you see the sunrise

#Jororo kill

#Black on white

#Birdman of Budapest

#On face value

#Paper war

#Limbo

Yeah i am really a fan of the first four seasons. Fifth and sixth have their ups but are weak compared with the first four, and the show finishes strong with seventh and eighth season.

Good to see Try to Remember and On Face Value get some love from some other Magnum maniacs!
Try to remember has a great start to it and also Tanaka is in there for the first time.
On face value is just a little different i think with Magnum feeling guilty, and there are a lot of emotional stuff that you don´t see in so many episodes.
Exactly! I love "Try to Remember" and I almost included it as one of my top 10. But, it's so hard to pick just 10...LOL! :lol: "Try" is awesome, and it's Lt. Tanaka's first...and I agree that there's more serious emotion and guilt going on with Magnum that you usually didn't see. He also was more helpless, and was open about admitting it--which is something you never saw much. Awesome episode and it's truly one of my favorite episodes of the show! :)
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Kifaru
Lieutenant

#34 Post by Kifaru »

MaiTaiMan wrote:Exactly...definitely a "Magnum" classic! :) What do you think about "Jororo Kill"?
Solid episode, 'Nuns don't work on sundays', great scene.
MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:Good to see Try to Remember and On Face Value get some love from some other Magnum maniacs!
I think Try to Remember was probably the first Magnum episode I ever saw, It's still one of my favorites.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

Re: Top 10 all-time favourite episodes

#35 Post by marlboro »

This is tough. I can do a Top 5 fairly easily, but #'s 6-10 are too hard to sort out. There are just too many good episodes.

The first five are a lock:

#01: Home From the Sea
#02: Did You See the Sunrise?
#03: Memories are Forever
#04: Little Girl Who
#05: Death and Taxes

The last five are tough. After rewatching several episodes yesterday, I think these are the five I'll go with:

#06: Mad Buck Gibson
#07: Laura
#08: China Doll
#09: All for One
#10: Faith and Begorrah

Forty, Way of the Stalking Horse, Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii, Lest We Forget, Holmes is Where the Heart is, 40 Years from Sand Island, Black on White, Skin Deep...so many great episodes to choose from.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#36 Post by MaiTaiMan »

MaiTaiMan wrote:Oh man...it's so hard to pick just 10!! :o LOL! :lol: There are so many awesome episodes that I could pick 20-35 "favorite" episodes. But...this is just for 10, so I had to really think and work it down to just that many. I'm currently in the middle of watching the series again, after several years...but I think I've got them down. My majors are sociology and psychology--so I love episodes that deal with the bizarre, eerie, spooky, mentally deranged, etc... I also love episodes that have very intricate and well thought out plots. I also have "lumped" together a couple of the 2-part episodes--so I can include them in the "10". So--I may end up disagreeing with myself on some later, but...here goes:

1) "China Doll": Superb, exotic and action-packed episode that had a superb plot! Perfect episode after the initial "Pilot"! Love the assassin that blinks right before he strikes...and the final confrontation in the cemetary where Magnum shoots him--awesome!

2) "Skin Deep": Awesome and interesting episode that was Magnum's take on the 1944 film-noir classic "Laura"! (Another popular crime show that did a "Laura" type episode was the 90's hit "Silk Stalkings". A 3rd season episode called "The Party's Over" was also the "Laura" plot-idea.)

3) "Lest We Forget": This very well may be my all-time favorite episode!! Superb plot, superb acting performances, awesome past and present with WWII and Pearl Harbor attack woven in, and the idea of using real-life father and son/mother and daughter to play themselves in the past and present was fascinating and captivating! I love history so this is also another reason I love it so much. In 2008 I had the awesome pleasure of visiting Oahu and Pearl Harbor! One of my most memorable and favorite experiences! I can watch this episode over and over and still love it everytime! :D

4) "The Woman On the Beach": Superb, ghostly/spooky episode! I love ghost/haunted/spooky type episodes so this is one of my favorites! As "Skin Deep" was a version of the movie "Laura"...I've always thought "Woman On the Beach" greatly resembled the real-life ghost story of Resurrection Mary...a woman named Mary, who in a white dress, was on her way home from a dance in the 1930's--and was tragically killed in an accident near Resurrection Cemetary, in Chicago (Hence the name Resurrection Mary). She was also later buried in the cemetary. Mary supposedly forever haunts Resurrection Cemetary and road near it--appearing, in her white vintage dress, to people driving on the road and even getting some rides from some passer-bys, and asks to be taken home...only to disappear before getting to her old house.

5) "Did You See the Sunrise?" (2-Parter): This one is sad and very serious/somber (with the death of Mac and the horrors of Vietnam)...but very in-depth and realistic too! Everyone gave unbelievable performances and the plot was very intricate and well thought out! This is also the "famous" contraversial episode where Magnum ends up shooting someone in cold blood, for revenge. But...I sort of like the ending and I'm mezmerized by this episode!

6) "The Jororo Kill": Love this episode! Awesome plot, and Tyne Daley was superb! Sorry to say this, but it's hard to believe she was ever that thin! Anyway, awesome action and the killer dressing up as a nun at the end was shocking and even somewhat frightening! I remember seeing this one when it originally aired--and Magnum saying: "Nuns don't work on Sundays!" Pretty wild!

7) "Black On White": Awesome, exotic, and bizarre episode with a superb plot! This one really has some superb Magnum and Higgins moments, and Ian MacShane gives a superb performance as a mentally deranged psycho! Nice twist of an ending, too! This is one that'll keep you on the edge of your seat, and even up at night!

8. "Echoes of the Mind" (2-parter): This is so bizarre and eerie!! I love episodes/movies like that, and the plot idea of the mentally deranged/psychotic Diane Dupre (Sharon Stone) was superb! I thought everyone gave superb performances and the mental collapse of Diane was frightening but fascinating as well!

9) "Deja Vu" (2-parter): Again (like "Echoes of the Mind") this episode was very bizarre and eerie--it was awesome! :) The idea of figuring out what dreams mean, or whether or not they can predict or show future events, fascinates me. The idea of Deja Vu--and whether you really have experienced something or been in a place before also captivates me! It's freaky but thrilling at the same time! I love episodes that deal with the "mind", so this and "Echoes of the Mind" are two of my favorites!

10) "Novel Connection" (and the "Murder She Wrote" 2nd half "Magnum On Ice"): Okay...I grew up with both "Magnum" and "Murder She Wrote"...the latter usually being one my whole family sat down to on Sunday nights while eating supper. However, the two shows are so different that you'd never think of merging or "crossing" them over with each other! However, producers and writers did a superb job of bringing Jessica Fletcher and Magnum together--lots of action, perfect guest-stars, good plot twists, and it's known as one of the most famous crossovers in TV history! Truly enjoyable!

Well....there you go, there's my 10. There are so many other episodes I wanted to include--as "Magnum" has so many superb ones. But, these are 10 that I'm always intrigued by and love watching everytime! I'm sure many will disagree with my choices...but that's what makes discussing shows so interesting to me--learning and finding out other people's thoughts and veiws, and why. :)
This was my list of fav's a few years ago...it still is. However, like I stated before there are so many other episodes I wish I could include! :D
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Dave Anderson
Rear Admiral

Re:

#37 Post by Dave Anderson »

IKnowWhatYoureThinking wrote:Jay not everything can be a winner...
Come on man, they all deserve a trophy! :wink:

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

Re: Re:

#38 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Dave Anderson wrote:
IKnowWhatYoureThinking wrote:Jay not everything can be a winner...
Come on man, they all deserve a trophy! :wink:
Most for sure! :)

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by Milton Collins »

As hard as this is here goes:

1) Death and Taxes - Scary yet ridiculous killer perfectly played, an extremely difficult mystery for TM, some crazy Vietnam ties, absolute perfection!

2) Of Sound Mind - The perfect blend of mystery, humor, and just all out fun. I love this one!

3) Case of the Red Faced Thespian - Absolutely entertaining from beginning to end, and Higgins "performances" are damn Hilarious!!

4) Memories are Forever - Possibly the most classic episode ever that sets a tone for the whole series, excellent!

5) Unfinished Business - One of the most gripping, intense, and heart jerking episodes, awesome!!

6) Echos of the Mind - Great two part episode with a young Sharon Stone (hot!), another heartbrake for TM, and an excellent side love story with Higgns. To me this was by far the best of the 2 part episodes.

7) Mixed Doubles - I'm probably the only one with this in my top ten, can't fully explain why I just love it!

8) The Kona Winds - This has all the feel of a full length movie to me, great plot and a gorgeous woman, fantastic episode!

9) Three Minus Two - I think this is a totally underrated episode with a great Murder Mystery Theme, the one and only "Mr. Alex, and also one of the first couple that I ever saw and this helped get me hooked so I have to throw it in.

10) Birdman of Budapest - I'm sorry but this one is just so hilarious to me I have to put it in here. Higgins getting tortured by a Robins Masters guest? This one absolutely kills me every time I watch it.

Ok there goes, that was honestly painstakingly difficult! There's at least ten more I considered but I know we're not supposed to cheat:)

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#40 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Milton Collins wrote: 7) Mixed Doubles - I'm probably the only one with this in my top ten, can't fully explain why I just love it!
This is funny. It's pretty awful, but does have some "cornball" value, I guess
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Re:

#41 Post by ConchRepublican »

ConchRepublican wrote:I haven't completed watching the series in it's entirety yet, but here's what I come up with ~

1 - Limbo
2 - China Doll
3 - Home From the Sea
4 - J "Digger" Doyle
5 - Did You See the Sunrise?
6 - Death and Taxes
7 - Black on White
8 - Never Again ... Never Again
9 - The Jororo Kill
10 - Paper War

Wow . . . picking only 10 is tough . . .
I have changed a little in the last 5+ years

1 - Limbo
2 - China Doll
3 - Home From the Sea
4 - J "Digger" Doyle
6 - Death and Taxes
7 - Lest We Forget
8 - Little Girl Who
9 - Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii
10 - Black on White

Still way too hard . . .
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Turkey
Admiral

#42 Post by Turkey »

ConchRepublican wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote:I haven't completed watching the series in it's entirety yet, but here's what I come up with ~

1 - Limbo
2 - China Doll
3 - Home From the Sea
4 - J "Digger" Doyle
6 - Death and Taxes
7 - Black on White
9 - The Jororo Kill
10 - Paper War

1 - Limbo
2 - China Doll
3 - Home From the Sea
4 - J "Digger" Doyle
6 - Death and Taxes
7 - Lest We Forget
8 - Little Girl Who
10 - Black on White

Still way too hard . . .

Awesome list(s)!

What influenced the changes toward the end there, if I could ask? :)
Make it two weeks.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#43 Post by ConchRepublican »

Turkey wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote:

1 - Limbo
2 - China Doll
3 - Home From the Sea
4 - J "Digger" Doyle
6 - Death and Taxes
7 - Black on White
9 - The Jororo Kill
10 - Paper War

1 - Limbo
2 - China Doll
3 - Home From the Sea
4 - J "Digger" Doyle
6 - Death and Taxes
7 - Lest We Forget
8 - Little Girl Who
10 - Black on White

Still way too hard . . .

Awesome list(s)!

What influenced the changes toward the end there, if I could ask? :)
Of course you can!

Never Again .... Never Again was beaten out by Lest We Forget because with more viewings the impact of each shifted. I really like the hidden Nazi aspect of NA...NA, something that was still very relevant 35 years after the war was over, and I liked the way the Israelis were handled as well. But LWF has become a classic in my mind. From the use of the parents/children to tell the story as well as the Pearl Harbor attack backdrop, it really does a great job tying the history of island, the military and Magnum together.

Little Girl Who trumped The Jororo Kill because .... It was Little Girl Who. I was never a big Michelle fan, I never thought her character (a poor man's Ilsa Lund) was the best fit for Thomas so it often clouded my judgement of those episodes. This one though shouldn't have been denied. It is a classic. The Jororo Kill is still an excellent episode, but unfortunately just has to get squeezed out.

Paper War got replaced by Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii because, well first I get two hours for one ( :D ) and second, I find DEtSiH is one of the shows I always gravitate towards when I just pop in an episode. Aside from Limbo, it may be my most watched episode. It's a great pilot movie in every sense and should have been on the list to start. The opening scene alone is one of the best scenes in the series IMHO. Paper War is starting to lose some traction with me as well. Yes, it is a fun episode, at some points a riot. But the elevator scene with Robin/Higgins is starting to feel a little too contrived for me (I'm not in the Higgins is Robin boat) add to that walking out in the dust just as the building collapsed, and well, I think it takes points away from some great practical jokes. I seem to have liked the episode more when I was less in depth with the show.

As for Black on White, that was on and off the list three times for No Need to Know, which is a great episode IMHO. It was extremely hard to keep it off but I thought the more Higgins centric aspect of BoW out weighed the very topical NNtK.

But I may change my mind in the morning. :magnum:
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Lance Mannion
Lieutenant Commander

#44 Post by Lance Mannion »

Umm ... I'll post a full reply when I'm done re-watching ... But even though I was just a kid, "Did you see the sunrise ?" (the ending) still stands out in my mind, as one of the best TV drama moments ...

Turkey
Admiral

#45 Post by Turkey »

ConchRepublican wrote:
Of course you can!

Never Again .... Never Again was beaten out by Lest We Forget because with more viewings the impact of each shifted. I really like the hidden Nazi aspect of NA...NA, something that was still very relevant 35 years after the war was over, and I liked the way the Israelis were handled as well. But LWF has become a classic in my mind. From the use of the parents/children to tell the story as well as the Pearl Harbor attack backdrop, it really does a great job tying the history of island, the military and Magnum together.

Little Girl Who trumped The Jororo Kill because .... It was Little Girl Who. I was never a big Michelle fan, I never thought her character (a poor man's Ilsa Lund) was the best fit for Thomas so it often clouded my judgement of those episodes. This one though shouldn't have been denied. It is a classic. The Jororo Kill is still an excellent episode, but unfortunately just has to get squeezed out.

Paper War got replaced by Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii because, well first I get two hours for one ( :D ) and second, I find DEtSiH is one of the shows I always gravitate towards when I just pop in an episode. Aside from Limbo, it may be my most watched episode. It's a great pilot movie in every sense and should have been on the list to start. The opening scene alone is one of the best scenes in the series IMHO. Paper War is starting to lose some traction with me as well. Yes, it is a fun episode, at some points a riot. But the elevator scene with Robin/Higgins is starting to feel a little too contrived for me (I'm not in the Higgins is Robin boat) add to that walking out in the dust just as the building collapsed, and well, I think it takes points away from some great practical jokes. I seem to have liked the episode more when I was less in depth with the show.

As for Black on White, that was on and off the list three times for No Need to Know, which is a great episode IMHO. It was extremely hard to keep it off but I thought the more Higgins centric aspect of BoW out weighed the very topical NNtK.

But I may change my mind in the morning. :magnum:
Ace, thank you! Back to respond properly tomorrow :) Tried to draft a top ten earlier and struggled.
Make it two weeks.