Top 10 all-time favourite episodes

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

Re: Re:

#46 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Turkey wrote: Ace, thank you! Back to respond properly tomorrow :) Tried to draft a top ten earlier and struggled.
I've been struggling for five years with that. :wink:
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Turkey
Admiral

#47 Post by Turkey »

ConchRepublican wrote:
Paper War got replaced by Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii because, well first I get two hours for one ( :D ) and second, I find DEtSiH is one of the shows I always gravitate towards when I just pop in an episode. Aside from Limbo, it may be my most watched episode. It's a great pilot movie in every sense and should have been on the list to start. The opening scene alone is one of the best scenes in the series IMHO. Paper War is starting to lose some traction with me as well. Yes, it is a fun episode, at some points a riot. But the elevator scene with Robin/Higgins is starting to feel a little too contrived for me (I'm not in the Higgins is Robin boat) add to that walking out in the dust just as the building collapsed, and well, I think it takes points away from some great practical jokes. I seem to have liked the episode more when I was less in depth with the show.

But I may change my mind in the morning. :magnum:
I think I agree here especially, I remember loving Paper War the first time I saw it too (only 2 years back I think, maybe less) and thinking it would be a top ten, but I'm not sure anymore. And I have to re-watch Don't Eat the Snow... as it's been a while, maybe up to 3 years (not that long really) and I remember loving it. Will rewatch it soon I reckon.

I notice 'Death and Taxes' was on there, I wonder if there are many Magnum fans who wouldn't choose it for their top ten?
Make it two weeks.

Turkey
Admiral

#48 Post by Turkey »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
Turkey wrote: Ace, thank you! Back to respond properly tomorrow :) Tried to draft a top ten earlier and struggled.
I've been struggling for five years with that. :wink:
Any progress? :D
Make it two weeks.

Styles Bitchley

#49 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Turkey wrote:Any progress? :D
The best I can do is a top 11. My list has some that many probably wouldn't consider.

1. China Doll (pure Magnum awesomeness with great scenery and a tight plot line)
2. Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii (discovering these characters and this setting - Hawaii, the estate, the military connection, the stewardesses...what's not to like?)
3. Home From the Sea (one of the few episodes to stay in the recesses of my mind since the original series run. Probably a lot of daddy issues for me on this one. I'm not a fan of the psychic connection resolution of the episode, however.)
4. Dead Man's Channel (scuba diving, Hawaiian storyline, cool mystery, almost a James Bond feel to this episode. Cool)
5. L.A. (even I'm surprised that this episode is here, but for some reason I like it quite a bit. I'm not a big fan of any of the other episodes that take place off island)
6. Death and Taxes (another one that stuck with me since the original run. the episode really locks you as a viewer in on the story - it's more dark and tense than any other episode)
7. The Hotel Dick (Another odd one for the list that I seem to like coming back to. I've always enjoyed the vulnerability of the Magnum character; he's flawed, which helps me relate to him. This episode has Magnum pondering existential questions, and I'm right along there for the ride.)
8. Ki'i's Don't Lie (Magnum + Rick + A.J. = awesomeness for me)
9. The Treasure of Kalaniopu'u (This one is just plain fun. Goofy? Yes. But it's really great to see the characters I know so well have a blast like this. I seem to have a thing for treasure hunts too!)
10. Beauty Knows No Pain (Love it. It's a real classic with a great balance of main plot and the triathlon sub-plot. Sure, there's no way anyone could whip themselves into shape to do an iron Man in that little time, but I can ignore the details in what is otherwise a fun little episode.)
11. Computer Date (Why couldn't I let this one go? This episode is just so perfectly "Magnum." You know, those episodes that are just the ones that you'd remember as a typical episode? Client has a problem. TM digs around. There's an unexpected plot twist and things get wrapped up in the end. It's just perfectly typical.)
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Turkey
Admiral

#50 Post by Turkey »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
The best I can do is a top 11. My list has some that many probably wouldn't consider.

1. China Doll (pure Magnum awesomeness with great scenery and a tight plot line)
2. Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii (discovering these characters and this setting - Hawaii, the estate, the military connection, the stewardesses...what's not to like?)
3. Home From the Sea (one of the few episodes to stay in the recesses of my mind since the original series run. Probably a lot of daddy issues for me on this one. I'm not a fan of the psychic connection resolution of the episode, however.)
4. Dead Man's Channel (scuba diving, Hawaiian storyline, cool mystery, almost a James Bond feel to this episode. Cool)
5. L.A. (even I'm surprised that this episode is here, but for some reason I like it quite a bit. I'm not a big fan of any of the other episodes that take place off island)
6. Death and Taxes (another one that stuck with me since the original run. the episode really locks you as a viewer in on the story - it's more dark and tense than any other episode)
7. The Hotel Dick (Another odd one for the list that I seem to like coming back to. I've always enjoyed the vulnerability of the Magnum character; he's flawed, which helps me relate to him. This episode has Magnum pondering existential questions, and I'm right along there for the ride.)
9. The Treasure of Kalaniopu'u (This one is just plain fun. Goofy? Yes. But it's really great to see the characters I know so well have a blast like this. I seem to have a thing for treasure hunts too!)
10. Beauty Knows No Pain (Love it. It's a real classic with a great balance of main plot and the triathlon sub-plot. Sure, there's no way anyone could whip themselves into shape to do an iron Man in that little time, but I can ignore the details in what is otherwise a fun little episode.)
11. Computer Date (Why couldn't I let this one go? This episode is just so perfectly "Magnum." You know, those episodes that are just the ones that you'd remember as a typical episode? Client has a problem. TM digs around. There's an unexpected plot twist and things get wrapped up in the end. It's just perfectly typical.)
Awesome, you're definitely doing a lot better than me - struggling to get mine down to 15!

I love Dead Man's Channel too, that piece of music in the underwater scene is ace too. I'll have to watch The Hotel Dick again, haven't seen it for ages. And Computer Date, yes! I agree, it's got that sense of fun that slips out of the latter seasons.
Make it two weeks.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#51 Post by ConchRepublican »

Styles Bitchley wrote:

Interesting choices there Styles! I am surprised, I think yours is the only list I've seen not to include Did you See the Sunrise?.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Styles Bitchley

#52 Post by Styles Bitchley »

ConchRepublican wrote: Interesting choices there Styles! I am surprised, I think yours is the only list I've seen not to include Did you See the Sunrise?.
That's a good point. I think I'm in a minority there. Regarding the ending (which is the strongest scene of the episode, if not series) I can appreciate that element of TM's personality (if need be, he can act as judge, jury and executioner), but it's not what I think of when I think of Magnum. If I throw on an episode of Mike Hammer, I expect and enjoy him taking down the punk in such a way in the end. But TM is not the same guy. I appreciate that the storyline of this episode leads to this and it is the right thing to do, but it's atypical for Magnum and so I don't think of it in the same way as I think of other episodes.

- J.Q.H.

eltonsean
Captain

#53 Post by eltonsean »

Styles,

What are you thoughts on "Memories Are Forever"? Are you a fan or no?
"Living well is the best revenge".

Styles Bitchley

#54 Post by Styles Bitchley »

eltonsean wrote:Styles,

What are you thoughts on "Memories Are Forever"? Are you a fan or no?
I'm a fan, but I tend to find the Michelle episodes a bit too heavy. I lean more towards the light, fun episodes - but not in all cases. Memories is a great watch, but you have to be in the mood.

- J.Q.H.

eltonsean
Captain

#55 Post by eltonsean »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
I'm a fan, but I tend to find the Michelle episodes a bit too heavy. I lean more towards the light, fun episodes - but not in all cases. Memories is a great watch, but you have to be in the mood.
Ya, I know what you mean, it's heavy and you have to have 1.5 hours to spare. "Memories Are Forever" is my favorite episode I think because of the Casablanca themes. The idea of reuniting a lost love, only to decide to eventually let it go. It' heart wrenching. Brilliantly written but definitely emotionally demanding.
I love all your episode choices though, we seem to share similar tastes. With the exception of "L.A." and "Hotel Dick". Those two episodes dont really feel like "Magnum" to me, maybe because of the lack of scenes at the estate. Plus "Hotel Dick" just has too many scenes in those cramped hotel rooms for me.
But I enjoy your mix of light and dark episodes. A good overall sampling and I like how you included "Computer Date" :magnum:

eagle
Fleet Admiral

Re: Top 10 all-time favourite episodes

#56 Post by eagle »

Jay-Firestorm wrote:2. MAC’S BACK (5) - The only ep that I really care for from the rock-bottom fifth season
Maybe that's the problem I've been having. I cruised through seasons 1-4, and have struggled to get through 5. I'm finally through it, though, and now I'm off to season 6.

I'll have to re-watch and rank them.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#57 Post by Milton Collins »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
Milton Collins wrote: 7) Mixed Doubles - I'm probably the only one with this in my top ten, can't fully explain why I just love it!
This is funny. It's pretty awful, but does have some "cornball" value, I guess

Ha ha I know right? I can't even explain it (and I know most don't care for it) but I just LOVE this episode, watched it again last night lol. And for all you haters, my wife sat right next to me and complained the whole time about how dumb this episode was so know that you are not alone:)

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#58 Post by marlboro »

eltonsean wrote:With the exception of "L.A." and "Hotel Dick". Those two episodes dont really feel like "Magnum" to me, maybe because of the lack of scenes at the estate. Plus "Hotel Dick" just has too many scenes in those cramped hotel rooms for me.
I like "Hotel." After countless "You need to grow up Magnum" lines, we finally get to see what the show would be like if he did so. And it wasn't pretty. The jump at the end was an awesome way of showing that the Magnum that we tuned in every week for was back.

eltonsean
Captain

#59 Post by eltonsean »

Ya, "Hotel" magnum is definitely boring. That's why I don't like watching the episode, it's not the magnum that we all love. Who wants to watch magnum getting older and needing glasses? Not me.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#60 Post by marlboro »

I've mentioned this before, but I've never understood why the writers kept slipping that in there. It reminds me of aging comic book fans - all the silly (fun!) stuff they loved as a kid they constantly pick apart and complain about now. Once you start complaining about Superman needing a cape or Magnum needing a real job it's time to move on. Except, in this case, it's the writers of the show who keep bringing it up. Personally I never think about Magnum "being too old" until the writers mention it.