Which recurring character should have got their own spin-off

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Which recurring character should have got their own spin-off

Mac / Jim Bonnick
23%
Buck Greene
3%
Lt. Tanaka
27%
Doc. Ibold
7%
Admiral Hawkes
No votes
Maggie Poole
10%
Agatha
3%
Ice Pick
7%
Carol
3%
other (Moki / Rosine / Cleo etc.) please specify
17%

Total votes: 30

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#16 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

Yes I should have added Luther to the poll - I didn't intentionally overlook him.
I'm not sure if you can post more than 10 options in a poll though?
Either way, good to see the Gillis is getting some love :lol:
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#17 Post by golfmobile »

I think that Annie Potts' Tracy Spencer character could have led to a spin-off, and maybe Dana Delaney's lawyer character, though it would have been set in L.A., so maybe that wouldn't work unless she moved to Hawaii and THEN she and Thomas broke up but she stayed there to practice law. Or put the two females together where Tracy is the investigator for Dana Delaney's law firm that does criminal defense work. Then Tracy sometimes goes to the MPI characters (guest stars? Rick, Icepick, Higgins?) for a little help in her investigations. Or occasionally they cross paths? I see LOTS of potential here.

But maybe that's just me.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#18 Post by ConchRepublican »

To take this in a totally different direction, how about a spin-off series about the King Kamehameha Club itself? Kind of like a Cheers meets Love Boat meets Fantasy Island.

Ever wonder what happens at the KKC after Tom meets his clients?

Perhaps the club part a greater "chain" or organization of clubs, providing "exciting and exotic entertainment around the world". OK . . . that last bit reads a bit sleazy, but i think you see where I'm heading.

Rick and Higgins would have appearances, naturally, as would TM, but a new bartender, and entertainment director, regulars and additional people from the "extended partnerships" would keep things fresh.

Even flashback's like Magnum had done, about the past and history of the place would/could be interesting.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by Magnum T. »

There are several interesting characters for possible spin-off series.
But I have a crush on Maggie Poole so my vote goes to her (btw, she is an interesting character too, with the Navy background and so on).
ConchRepublican wrote:To take this in a totally different direction, how about a spin-off series about the King Kamehameha Club itself? Kind of like a Cheers meets Love Boat meets Fantasy Island.
Not a bad idea, I would say.
Not bad at all!
"Zeus, Apollo, get out of my Ferrari!"
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#20 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I agree that the KKC spin off is an interesting concept. I don't think a spin off would work, but I would have loved to seen a couple of episodes flashback and focus on some of Higgins adventures.

Commandress
Lieutenant

#21 Post by Commandress »

I'd go for Jim "Mac" Bonnick.
There would've been lots of scope for the character, plus I think Jeff Mackay would have made a charming lead.

Plus he seemed to know most of the supporting characters from MPI.

The question is, would it feature his "wife", Katie Beckett, sister of Quantum Leap's Sam? Or is she married to the "other" Jim Bonnick (Joe Travis)?

ban-1
Lieutenant

#22 Post by ban-1 »

Jim Bonnick/Mac! Being a con man the possibilities of what would happen are endless. Also, I can already think of Madness' Calling Cards being used for the theme song. Another thing would be the possibility of Magnum, Rick, T.C., Higgins, Robin's Nest(including the guest house), Island Hoppers, and The King Kamehameha Club being revived and living on after Magnum P.I.
God So Beloved the earth(us humans) that he gave his only begotten son(Jesus Christ) to die for us(the sins we made) and rose on the third day so that whomever believeth in him shalt not die(go to Hell) but have everlasting life(Go to Heaven)
John 3:16

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by lutherhgillis »

I have to be the wet blanket here and introduce some reality to this discussion. None of the recurring characters had enough interest level within them to carry their own series. Heck, even the main characters would not have been successful IMHO. John Hillerman was the best actor of the bunch and Selleck was pretty good then it went downhill from there. Take away the Hawaii setting and the good writing (sometimes) and this series would have had difficulties...

Sure, we like the recurring characters but we are crazed dogs when it comes to MPI. The general public would not have supported them...

I did like the idea someone had about using the KKC as the central focus point for a series and let characters come & go. Maybe there could be several semi-regulars who drifted in & out of episodes?
Who's Dot Matrix, and what has she got to do with this?

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#24 Post by Styles Bitchley »

lutherhgillis wrote:I have to be the wet blanket here and introduce some reality to this discussion. None of the recurring characters had enough interest level within them to carry their own series. Heck, even the main characters would not have been successful IMHO. John Hillerman was the best actor of the bunch and Selleck was pretty good then it went downhill from there. Take away the Hawaii setting and the good writing (sometimes) and this series would have had difficulties...

Sure, we like the recurring characters but we are crazed dogs when it comes to MPI. The general public would not have supported them...

I did like the idea someone had about using the KKC as the central focus point for a series and let characters come & go. Maybe there could be several semi-regulars who drifted in & out of episodes?
I hear what you're saying Luther, and I generally agree. With the exception of show with Tanaka playing a clever detective solving a different crime every week. Lots of room for other characters and interesting murder mysteries. It would, of course, be very different to MPI.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

frog480
Lieutenant Commander

#25 Post by frog480 »

I've thought for quite a while, that the Luther Gillis and Digger characters, were the network testing out new actors/characters. Maybe I just think that because another forum member had that theory ages ago.......

I agree with others have said, I don't think any of the reoccurring characters were good enough for there own show.

The Young Adventures of Johnathan Higgins might have been worth seeing! :wink:

erock308
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by erock308 »

The Young Adventures of Johnathan Higgins might have been worth seeing!
I agree, those unbelievable storeys would be just terrific to see come to life ;{)
"Don't worry, Higgins, I like your stories."